Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Interesting Nicky Bailey Statistic...

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
According to Actim Stats as of 3/9/2010-

Nicky Bailey leads the League 1 Category for Hitting the Woodwork during League 1 Season Play:

N. Bailey, Charlton = 8
J. Beckford, Leeds = 8
I. Harte, Carlisle= 7
R. Lambert, Southhampton = 7
Norwich as a TEAM = 4

-Bailey claims 8 of CAFC's 17 Hit woodwork shots this campaign so far...

Comments

• don't know where they get their stats from - can't remember many cases of us hitting the woodwork, let alone 8 times by 1 player !!
  • seems high - must include goals that go in off the post.
  • I can believe that, we seem to hit some part of the goal frame every home game at least
  • Wycombe Home- Baileys goal went in off bar
    Tranmere home- sure Bailey hit post
    MK Dons home- defintely hit post once from a long range free kick, maybe twice with the wind as it was that day

Anymore?
  • Didnt he hit post at end of Tranmere (H)?
  • Sorry missed it on ur post, it's late - time for bed!!!
  • Tranmere away i'm sure it hit the post and went in as well
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Tranmere away i'm sure it hit the post and went in as well

Tranmere away it hit Nathan on the head and went in........?

Yep, that counts.

;o)
  • Didnt we hit the post once or twice away at Wycombe 2nd half?
  • I'd doubt those stats include goals that have gone in off the post/bar ?, what would be the point ?
  • Sponsored links:

• be interested to see his pass completion rate %
  • haha no i dont think it should. only GOOD passes. the more you look, the more youll notice that bailey gives the ball away, or results in the ball being given away through stupid, uncontrollable passes, more times than any player.
  • [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]haha no i dont think it should. only GOOD passes. the more you look, the more youll notice that bailey gives the ball away, or results in the ball being given away through stupid, uncontrollable passes, more times than any player.
    He's been doing it for a while now, but I'm sure he was doing it a lot less often until the last few months. I hope he sorts it out.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]don't know where they get their stats from - can't remember many cases of us hitting the woodwork, let alone 8 times by 1 player !!

I agree!
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]haha no i dont think it should. only GOOD passes. the more you look, the more youll notice that bailey gives the ball away, or results in the ball being given away through stupid, uncontrollable passes, more times than any player.
    He's been doing it for a while now, but I'm sure he was doing it a lot less often until the last few months. I hope he sorts it out.

Like to make a point here ..... some players work hard off the ball, but don't actually see much of it - so may seem to make not too many mistakes.

Generally, Nicky Bailey puts himself about and is often well involved in the thick of the action.
    The more involvement he has on the ball, then just by the law of averages, the more mistakes he'll be seen to make.

Compared to players who make 3 or 4 mistakes with 20 passes in a game. Bailey will make more misplaced passes but then he might be having 40 or 50 touches/passes in a game.

So the more you do, the more mistakes you'll make.

Having said that, his strength IMO is short pass and move, rather than the Beckham-esque diagonal defence splitting stuff. Leave that to Llera ;o)
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah I understand that, I just remember him only getting a few passes wrong per match, rather than 5 or 6. Think that's what you get with Lloyd Sam, he rarely gives the ball away, keeps his passing simple, but doesn't try and get involved and get things going himself.

I agree he's better off playing pass and move rather than trying to spray the ball out wide. He can do them occasionally but recently he just seems to be trying too often, either getting the pass wrong or just misjudging it meaning a defender intercepts it.
  • SHOOOOOT
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Yeah I understand that, I just remember him only getting a few passes wrong per match, rather than 5 or 6. Think that's what you get with Lloyd Sam, he rarely gives the ball away, keeps his passing simple, but doesn't try and get involved and get things going himself.

I agree he's better off playing pass and move rather than trying to spray the ball out wide. He can do them occasionally but recently he just seems to be trying too often, either getting the pass wrong or just misjudging it meaning a defender intercepts it.

Good point about Lloyd Sam, Scoham .......Lloydie doesn't give the ball away too easily, but the price he pays for that is being too cautious, too afraid to make a mistake. He desperately needs to play with more freedom.

Nicky Bailey doesn't do cautious, does he? ......... He's got the courage/recklessness to take a risk.
    When it comes off, it's a superb defence splitting pass.

And when it doesn't, he gets the brickbats - although even the Beckham type players overhit the ball from time to time.
    But for every killer pass, you need a team mate to make a run.

If that team mate doesn't, then it's you that gets the blame; it takes 2 players to make a pass - the one that gives and the one that collects. They both need to play their part, but if your team mate doesn't read it, you're the one that always seems to get the stick.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Lloydie doesn't give the ball away too easily, but the price he pays for that is being too cautious, too afraid to make a mistake. He desperately needs to play with more freedom.
    That's exactly how he's been playing recently. He's not looking confident and is worried about making a mistake. Yet most fans would rather see him give the ball away if he was trying to take players on and looking to get crosses in, instead of playing a simple pass to the player next to him.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Yet most fans would rather see him give the ball away if he was trying to take players on and looking to get crosses in

Give a dog a bad name and all that, Sco.
    I'm afraid our fans would murder him.

Everybody in the ground knows that. Unfortunately, so too does Lloyd Sam.
    Which is where we came in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well what I mean is when he has a good game, sets up a goal or two and takes players on (and actually beats them of course), he's forgiven for a few mistakes. Reid has been making more mistakes but he's been creating more chances, so they're forgotten a lot more easily (though that's partly because he's not been here long as well I think).

But yeah, if he has a bad start to a game the tutting, shouting and moaning does start.
  • My problem with Sam is he drops back to cover on defense too much! He doesnt get wide enough and upfield enough to offer an immediate outlet to our defense or central midfield.
  • Sam is the new Kish or perhaps Lisbie would be a better example.

There is an element that sees no good whatever he does.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red

Like to make a point here ..... some players work hard off the ball, but don't actually see much of it - so may seem to make not too many mistakes.

Generally, Nicky Bailey puts himself about and is often well involved in the thick of the action.
    The more involvement he has on the ball, then just by the law of averages, the more mistakes he'll be seen to make.

Compared to players who make 3 or 4 mistakes with 20 passes in a game. Bailey will make more misplaced passes but then he might be having 40 or 50 touches/passes in a game.

So the more you do, the more mistakes you'll make.

Having said that, his strength IMO is short pass and move, rather than the Beckham-esque diagonal defence splitting stuff. Leave that to Llera ;o)

My point is that, as a proportion, bailey gives the ball away more than any other player. How involved he gets is irrelevant, he still gives it away, i'd say, more often than not. this is no good enough for a central midfield player.

I do appreciate all the work he does off the ball, driving the team forward, and popping up with goals -- hes a good asset.

Lately, however, the role he's been playing in (Parky's fault, not his), a sort of xavi alonso style deep playmaker to compliment the more flairy racon, doesnt suit his good attributes at all.

His passing ruins all our moves, and his attempted cross field balls to sam are terribly innacurate, or far too flighty.

Bailey to play in a drving role from deep (either from the left or the middle). Or, bailey to not play at all. He is not clever enough to play in a deep lying playmaker role
  • What I find funny about Sam is it's often the ones critisizing him that say he is or could be a very good Championship player. Yet he lacks energy, fitness, movement, doesn't score many goals, isn't actually that quick, for a winger anyway. A good Championship winger has at least some of those things to his game, to go with what Sam already has. I think he's shown he's really just a good player this level, very good on his day, and nothing out of the ordinary in the Championship.
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Sam is the new Kish or perhaps Lisbie would be a better example.

Definitely is one of those players.
  • [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]Lately, however, the role he's been playing in (Parky's fault, not his), a sort of xavi alonso style deep playmaker to compliment the more flairy racon, doesnt suit his good attributes at all.

His passing ruins all our moves, and his attempted cross field balls to sam are terribly innacurate, or far too flighty.

Bailey to play in a drving role from deep (either from the left or the middle). Or, bailey to not play at all. He is not clever enough to play in a deep lying playmaker role
    I know what you're saying, but I wouldn't just blame it on Parky. He's picking up the ball and trying to spray it wide to Sam instead of a shorter pass sideways or forward.

He's doing the opposite to Sam, who keeps things simple because he doesn't want to make a mistake. Instead Bailey is going for the "hollywood pass", the harder option, like Gerrard does at times. He's just desperate to get things going and perhaps trying too hard to make things happen quickly.

He's always done a few passes like that, usually succesfully. I do agree he's been playing deep though because he's trying to cover for Racon. I don't think they're a good partnership in the long term at all, they just have enough quality to get us through easier games.
  • Bailey had his positives and his negatives, but overall the positives out-weigh the negatives by a lot. He scores big goals, he puts in 110% every game, and hes very fit with great stamina. He does give the ball away quite a bit but he does get many more touches then most players. My biggest negative with Bailey is the 'acting' / 'complaining' he does. Too many times this season he has gone to ground too easily, resulting in a loss of possession. If he can stay as fit as he is and stay off his arse then we can count on Captain Fantastic to lead our promotion push!
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Sam is the new Kish or perhaps Lisbie would be a better example.

Sam is nowhere near as bad as those eggbrains though.

If only he had the commitment of Kish eh!