Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PCS union

edited March 2010 in Not Sports Related
What a bunch of heroes.

Global recession, people losing jobs left right and centre, pay rises at a premium (unless you're an MP), private pension pots worth absolutely fcuk all and they go on strike. Why? Fcuked if I know why.

Maybe it's the 30 days annual holiday, flexi-time, final salary pensions for virtually no contribution, half day for Maunday Thursday, day off for the Queens Birthday, the 7.12 day, the generous sick leave "allowance" or the fact that most of them do absolutely fcuk all for their money that has particularly wound them up this time.

Parasites.

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]What a bunch of heroes.

Global recession, people losing jobs left right and centre, pay rises at a premium (unless you're an MP), private pension pots worth absolutely fcuk all and they go on strike. Why? Fcuked if I know why.

Maybe it's the 30 days annual holiday, flexi-time, final salary pensions for virtually no contribution, half day for Maunday Thursday, day off for the Queens Birthday, the 7.12 day, the generous sick leave "allowance" or the fact that most of them do absolutely fcuk all for their money that has particularly wound them up this time.

Parasites.

When did you leave the Civil Service??????
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]What a bunch of heroes.

Parasites.
    My thoughts too. The public sector is up in arms because of pay freezes, when under Labour they get paid not far off the private sector and have better benefits packages.

Try the private sector which has been laying people off left right and centre.....
  • What about the poor candle stick makers, can't get a job for love nor money. Both the Private and Public Sector pay and jobs should be cut in line with the candle stick makers. Fairs fair, don't they know theres a recession on.

And another thing, bloody butchers, don't they know theres a recession. My butchers doesn't open on a monday and the days it does open its shuts at 3pm don't they know theres a recession. £2 for a lb of sausages, don't they know theres a recession, I'll give them £1.50 and they'll be happy with that, dont they know theres a recession.

What about window cleaners and lolipop men and that bloke across the road from me with the new car don't they know theres a recession.

Blah blah blah
  • edited March 2010
    I understand that at the last meeting, the Branch Chair stated that their demands from the management were

1) 100% pay rise over three years
    2) 75% increase in pension payments
    3) 50% increae in annual leave entitlement
    4) 25% increase in sick pay
    5) Only need to work on Fridays.

Little bloke at the back, jumps up and shouts - "What? Every Friday?"

Coat.............
  • i understood they are concerned their redundancy rights are being cut, just before a massive round of redundancies, if so seems quite reasonable to be upset about it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Why? Fcuked if I know why.
    Well it's because redundancy terms are being cut so effectively the most anyone being made redundant can get is 24 months' pay. That will only affect people who have worked the same job for more than 24 years and get made redundant, obviously, but apparently that's enough reason for them to strike. What must be borne in mind is that these lead swingers get 4 times as much as most normal punters if they get made redundant.

If I were worried about being let-go on very favourable terms (I'd love it, to be fair) I'd endeavour to improve their productivity and usefulness to ensure that I'm not affected. But no, sadly they just down tools (those that ever picked up tools). I guess if you've been drawing an index linked salary in a nice safe environment for years, not stressing yourself out too much; the prospect of merely getting a massive redundancy payment rather than an absolutely humongous one, a couple of years' before you bumble into retirement must fill you with horror. What you have to remember is that many of these people are completely unemployable and won't be able to do anything in society having been released from their roles.

civil%20service%20strike%2031-1-07
    Nice to see a few of them making an effort though...
  • They are trying to cap the redundancy payout at TWO years salary.
  • I dont blame the Unions for fighting to protect jobs. Public sector dont really live in the real World. In last two years i have done work in both Care Trusts and Local Authority its jaw dropping to see what does and dosnt happen.
  • [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]They are trying to cap the redundancy payout at TWO years salary.
    Beggars belief......

IF the Tories get in are we going to seeing running battles between the Police and a load of middle aged women armed with staplers and pencils?
  • Let them strike. Who'll notice?
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't forget that a civil servant gets an unreduced inflation linked pension if they are over 50. For you or I to retire on a modest pension of £10k per annum at age 60 index linked we would have to have saved up around £275,000. If we wanted to take our £10k at age 50 it would cost around £350,000. The difference of £75,000 is met by us the taxpayer. In addition of course there is the tax free lump of 3 times the pension plus compensation for losing their job. Just like the MPs made up their own rules to juice up their expenses the civil servants have been in a position to juice up their own pension rights over the years knowing that the taxpayer will have to cough up. It's a shame the taxpayer hasn't a clue to the true cost of civil service pensions or how much of our taxes are funding them.
  • I take a different view. Rather than knocking thoughs who have better terms of employment than myself. If possible I would try to improve my lot.
    Not always possible I know but maybe its just something else like,"I cant have it, niether should he" comming out here.
  • [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]I take a different view. Rather than knocking thoughs who have better terms of employment than myself. If possible I would try to improve my lot.
    Not always possible I know but maybe its just something else like,"I cant have it, niether should he" comming out here.

Too true. One comment, it is not about improving, it is all about keeping what there is already.
  • They are striking, as said above, because their redundancy rights are being assaulted just as they are being told their jobs are getting cut
    As far as pensions go, the gold plated pension of a civil servant on 15k a year will be £6500. Handsome.
    It wasn't libraries, meals on wheels, day care centres, the court service that got us into this mess was it? But they are the sort of things we will lose to pay for it
  • some how somewhere -- many areas --- cuts in services -- rises in taxes etc its coming ------------------------------ they all know it.
  • Whether you are talking about public or private sector; its sad how we all seem to have been conditioned to just accept getting stuffed by our bosses.
    I'm not lucky enough to have a union where I work. Wish I did though
  • [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]It wasn't libraries, meals on wheels, day care centres, the court service that got us into this mess was it? But they are the sort of things we will lose to pay for it
    Technically libraries, meals on wheels and day care centres aren't civil servants, they're council staff - totally different set of Ts&Cs. I suspect this is affecting the poor gits that work in the Job Centres.
  • Let them go on strike, I doubt very much many will notice.

My local council are a bunch of overpaid vermin who have no connection to the people they are meant to serve. Welcome to the real world cockblocks

Who is it they are appealing to anyway by going on strike? Me, an income and council taxpayer? Sorry, not interested.
  • [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]I take a different view. Rather than knocking thoughs who have better terms of employment than myself. If possible I would try to improve my lot.
    There's a lot of that in life to be fair, but I think a lot of what is going on here is more "I can't have it, fair enough, but those that do have it should realise when they are on a cushy number and being well looked after and not kick up a stink and strike when their terms are brought a little in line with the rest of the world's". These people are not being stuffed. If you'd idled away in the civil service for 30 years and they decided they'd had enough of you pissing around, under the new measures you'd get 104 weeks' salary which is still more than three times what - for example - a member of the charlton staff who was faced with redundancy would get. The civil servant would also be sitting on a nice final salary, indexed linked pension. It's about knowing when to STFU about a slight change in fortune, safe in the knowledge that you've gotten lucky over the piece anyway.

I'm not de-personalising this at all. I work in a bank and won't see a bonus this year (despite having been promised about 20k) and won't even mention a pay rise. I won't be looking to the public for sympathy or throwing my toys out of the pram, because I (and my industry as a whole) deserves the square route of fuck all.

All too often, sadly, people are unable to look at their own circumstances and admit that they don't deserve a more than fair slice of the pie.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]I take a different view. Rather than knocking thoughs who have better terms of employment than myself. If possible I would try to improve my lot.
    There's a lot of that in life to be fair, but I think a lot of what is going onhereis more "I can't have it, fair enough, but those that do have it should realise when they are on a cushy number and being well looked after and not kick up a stink and strike when their terms are brought a little in line with the rest of the world's". These people are not being stuffed. If you'd idled away in the civil service for 30 years and they decided they'd had enough of you pissing around, under the new measures you'd get 104 weeks' salary which is still more than three times what - for example - a member of the charlton staff who was faced with redundancy would get. The civil servant would also be sitting on a nice final salary, indexed linked pension. It's about knowing when to STFU about a slight change in fortune, safe in the knowledge that you've gotten lucky over the piece anyway.

I'm not de-personalising this at all. I work in a bank and won't see a bonus this year (despite having been promised about 20k) and won't even mention a pay rise. I won't be looking to the public for sympathy or throwing my toys out of the pram, because I (and my industry as a whole) deserves the square route of fuck all.

All too often, sadly, people are unable to look at their own circumstances and admit that they don't deserve a more than fair slice of the pie.

Very, very well said
  • Sponsored links:

• Forgetting about the public service strikes, the elephant in the room that no one wants to discuss is the future retirement age/pension redundancy level at this country.
    When I was at school, way back in the mist of time...... people were talking about retiring at 50. Quite a few jobs you could do this with the fire service, the police etc......
    Of course you could retire at anytime. BUT now here is the rub as long as you had the loot...... As the years rolled by first it was a bunch of aspiring civil servants demanding parity with men, so the Goverment played a blinder and instead of reducing the retirement age to 60 the Goverment raised it to 65, then 67... Now there is talk of capping redundancy, albeit for public workers. Now I have no particula brief for Civil servants, but if you do a job with a contract and two thirds of the way through they wish to change the service conditions surely this cannot be right, whoever it is. I am sure if this was hedge fund managers they would all blackmail the country and asay they were going to leave..... etc etc.

Quite why you cannot have a retirement decade and those that can afford, or able to retire at a nominatd age,say 60, on a reduced state benefit, or those that wish to continue till say 70 at an enhanced pension surely this is the way forward..... not demanding people have to retire, or work. Personally, I feel that whoever is in power will reduce early retirement and exclude state pensions on a means test in the future!. I also found it quite hypocritical for Mss Jowell to spout about some poor bloody council workers pension when she will have a very nice gold plated pension as an MP, albeit she had her fingers in the pies of god knows what a few years back with her hubby!. So although I have a limited sympathy for the PCS, lectures from this 'champion of the working class' we can do without.......

I have a lot more time for these poor bloody foot soldiers than the hordes of bankers and MP's receiving shed loads of money for failing......, perhaps some of the ex bankers might fancy a turn in the dole offices! and immigration centres. yeah thought not!.....
  • parasites.
  • Ken, like your ideas in the second paragraph. I can imagine there'd be a lot of mithering from people who want to change their mind, having nominated though. As god forbid anyone actually takes responsiblity for their own decisions.

In terms of changing the contract though - they're not. These are terms where they're getting quadruple what the law demands. Even the worst affected person (and if you were 59 having pushed a pen in the same desk for 41 years you'd probably be pissing yourself laughing if you got a redundancy payout), would still be getting more than double what they are legally entitled to. Sadly, for public sector workers, like the rest of us: things change and the idile-ic life they've enjoyed up until now isn't going to be able to continue. A number of financial institutions have reduced potential redundancy payments, but I didn't hear their union murmur, as they know a) they're still on a good wicket and b) given their reputation and the fact that they're a lot better off than most other people, nobody will give a flying... Shame the PCS can't do the same.

It'll affect a tiny amount of people. I have my doubts about anyone who sticks the same job for more than 24 years anyway, to be honest.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]parasites.
    They're back grafting now Offy :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    In terms of changing the contract though - they're not. These are terms where they're getting quadruple what the law demands.

Yes they are and some people get paid over the minimum wage ie what the law demands, but still get upset if they get a pay cut even if they remain above the minimum wage.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]In terms of changing the contract though - they're not.
    Yes, they are. The pension and redundancy entitlements are part of the contract that they signed when they took the job, just like leave and notice periods are.
    These are terms where they're getting quadruple what the law demands.
    So? If you have a contract with someone to pay you twenty five quid an hour, and after a while they turn around and say "well actually we've decided to slash your pay, but you shouldn't complain because you've been getting more than four times the minimum wage" (which is what the law demands), that would be OK would it?
  • Ah, the whole 'everyone in the Public Sector is a pointlessly employed waster, everyone in the Private Sector is a poorly paid, put upon, grafter' thread's up and running again.

Remind me who it was that got us into this terrible effing mess again? Was it a) the old dear who works behind the tea bar in the County Court for minimum wage or thereabouts or b) someone pulling in £100k plus (plus bonuses, expense account, company car, etc).

There's good and bad employees in both sectors.
  • Ali, Ralph, of course, you're both right. I should be clearer: they are changing a part of the terms that they're allowed to unilaterally alter within certain boundaries. Pay wouldn't fall into that category. These are terms that the employees entered into knowingly, and that the unions haven't objected to. If this were not the case I suspect the union would be just going to the courts rather than losing their members' money (and goodwill) by calling strikes.
  • Its worth remembering the unions do not call for industrial action without a its memberships voting for action.
  • Another strike called on 19th.

PCS have challenged the decision in the courts (Judicial Review), awaiting a date of hearing.