Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Message from Mick Gebbett

If the Messiah isn’t arriving at The Valley in the foreseeable future, how can Charlton compete and be successful in the ‘mad world of football’?

Recently in an article in the Telegraph, Simon Jordan talked about the devastating consequences of going into administration. Interestingly, he said to the administrator: ‘The biggest thing is that the club survives. And don’t touch that Academy’

Whatever you think about Simon Jordan (and I know the answer from many Charlton supporters would be ‘not much’), I think in this instance he’s right. Success at clubs like Charlton and Palace depends on how successful their youth development policies can be.

Our own youth policy has paid great dividends in our recent past with players like Steve Brown, Richard Rufus, Lee Bowyer, Scott Parker, Paul Konchesky, playing a significant part in that success.

Is investment in youth development the way forward for CAFC at this point in our history? As a committee member of Charlton Club, the organisation that runs Valley Gold, whose profits go on supporting young players at CAFC, I welcome your views.

Mick Gebbett

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Firstly why does this need to reference Jordan? He is desperately trying to highlight the academy that he supposedly "set up" in a pathetic attempt to deflect attention from the reality that everything else he did at Palace was a disaster. And Palace's Academy is really no better than ours and many other club's.

On the more relevant point yes we need to keep the youth development programme going preferably as an Academy rather than the cheaper Centre of Excellence. Hopefully promotion will secure its funding but if not then fans need to lobby the club to retain it and be willing to financially support it via Valley Gold.
  • It's a must for me. There are now several players in our squad playing their part this season, and whatever league we are in next season, they'll play a part next season. When we were a Premier League club, it was a lot harder to bring through players who at their age, were probably only League One, Two or Conference standard at the time.

If the likes of Barry Fuller and Michael Turner were coming through now, they'd be important parts of the squad much like Solly and Wagstaff are. Instead they had to leave, find regular football, and they've worked their way up the leagues. We're a long way off being at that level in the Prem again. With seven subs in every league now, there's even more opportunity to bring these players through.

The club are doing a good job bringing them through, giving them experience out on loan, playing in the first team here and there. You can see in Wagstaff in particular he plays with confidence, something Pardew took out of him by playing him far to early.

There are still more coming through, Jordan Cousins captained England u16s to the Victory Shield and I'm sure there will be other prospects we haven't heard as much about. Also in that England team was Raheem Sterling, who recently left QPR for Liverpool. If we lose the academy and stop putting time and money into it, we could lose those future first team players when they are even younger. We couldn't hold onto McGinty, but we've done well to keep others here, Shelvey especially.

It's been great seeing Elliot wait for his chance and finally become a regular, and it's good to see the rest of them having significant roles in the squad. I'd hate to see us lose all that.
  • Haven't seen Mick this season....where does he sit these days/
  • I'm pretty confused on what is the intention of this, and more importantly, what is wanted as the answer.

Of course it is imperative at a time when we are not going to be able to pay fees or high wages for players that we successfully develop our own, that is so obvious it goes without saying.

So is this just a plug for Valley Gold, in which case it is a bit of a sloppy one, or is it something else ?

Ps if we do wish to highlight the worth of our academy, there are enough in our current first team squad to use as examples. Banging on about the likes of the players listed above, who all come through before the academy structure was introduced isn't really a great example of our 'recent past', particularly Steve Brown who come through it 20 years ago !
  • Spot on Scoham. The level we're at now makes it more important than ever, and more likely for the youngsters realistically to taste first rteam football. Apart from anything else, virtually every proper supporter of their local club likes to support home-grown players who, rightly or wrongly, we assume have more passion for the club in the way we do ourselves.

If we fail to win promotion I think a lot of us would still take at least some pleasure in watching young players who've come through the ranks giving their all in the shirt even if the overall standard isn't as high as we'd like. People understandably get impatient when they make mistakes but most find it infinitely preferable to paying money we can't afford to cheats who achieve expensive contracts on the back of former glories. The extra effort we demand can never be guaranteed but can at least be ingrained together with pride from an early age with the affinity that comes from being part of a club.

Although the academy itself by no means cheap to run, suppying even moderate players who can manage at first team level is surely essential. And now and again, handled well, it can unearth a player of genuine quality like we all hope Jonjo becomes. At a time when so many genuine fans of every club feel detached and bitter over obscene wages and agents, perhaps the development of players who identify with the club helps to maintain at least some link at first team level. Hopefully it can be cost-effective too, but I feel the sense of affinity is as important in the long run.
  • If the Messiah isn’t arriving at The Valley in the foreseeable future, how can Charlton compete and be successful in the ‘mad world of football’?

I think he is trying to tell us we are in deep shit now.
  • Don't shoot the messenger . . .
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Don't shoot the messenger . . .

BANG ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Don't shoot the messenger . . .

Didn't think anyone was.

Just seem a rather oblique "message".
  • Sponsored links:

• is this the gent who is in a wheelchair, used to follow the club everywhere in th70z?
  • no, ex Supporters Director
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]is this the gent who is in a wheelchair, used to follow the club everywhere in th70z?

Who Mick you mean?.....He'd love to hear you say that!
  • we can compete , depends on what level you mean though. Develope the kids, sell the good ones etc ---means we may not ever get back to the choas ofthe Prem but CAFC will still be about.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]is this the gent who is in a wheelchair, used to follow the club everywhere in th70z?

You're thinking of Tony Garrett I think.
  • Without the messiah and or promotion this season Charlton will definitely be trimming the cloth accordingly again so we can expect to lose some if not all of our saleable assets. The team will be made up of freebies, loans and most importantly for the future of our club the product of our academy. Without the resolve to retain our academy at all costs I really do think we would be in trouble.
  • millwall no longer have a academy and still produce a good crop of youngsters
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]millwall no longer have a academy and still produce a good crop of youngsters

But for how much longer ? Easier to attract the best local youth with an academy set up. Both Millwalls local competitors in Charlton and Palace can offer that !
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]millwall no longer have a academy and still produce a good crop of youngsters
    When did it stop being an academy? Spending less on it might not effect the 14/15 year olds coming through in a few years time, but it could make a difference to what we have in 7 to 10 years time.
  • Maybe Len. The guy was a real trail blazer for disabled people as i remember. When he went (does he still go ?) there was no acess no real special arrangements -- nothing. Im sure he went on the clubs visit to Spain one year.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Maybe Len. The guy was a real trail blazer for disabled people as i remember. When he went (does he still go ?) there was no acess no real special arrangements -- nothing. Im sure he went on the clubs visit to Spain one year.

Yes I think he does still go and you are right about him being a trailblazer.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Mick Gebbett[/cite]Is investment in youth development the way forward for CAFC at this point in our history? As a committee member of Charlton Club, the organisation that runs Valley Gold, whose profits go on supporting young players at CAFC, I welcome your views.

Does the football club think the profits from Valley Gold could be put to better use elsewhere then ?
  • I think that investing in the youngsters has to be the way forward for Charlton for the future. Hopefully some of the current players will be regular team players in the next season or two, and although the temptation is to sell some of them on, we need to develop and play these lads. That is the worrying thing about Shelvey, for me.... is he really gonna hang about not playing football at Charlton , or go to Chelsea /West Ham and not play!.. but be considerably better off. You would assume if logic has much of a part to play that he can still be at Charlton, but will need to be a more involved player..... If you are good enough you are old enough!, by all means not to start 30plus games but surely on the bench......
  • Tony is active and on the Fans Forum as well as chair of the disabled supporters club...lovely fella and totally dedicated
  • must keep the academy