Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Curse of The Left Back

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
Youga disappeared into a black hole

Basey definitely out for the rest of the season

Jackson ?? but the words "hamstring" and "scan" suggest he must be a real doubt for Millwall away at the very least.

I don't see Solly as a starter at left back myself so what do we do?

Semedo could be an option but I think he will be needed to bolster a brittle midfield against Millwall as frankly Racon going missing against them fills me with dread!

Thoughts?

Comments

• solly will crumble,semedo there if jacksons out,i think he may well be ok though.
  • Agree with playing Semedo there if Jackson is out.
  • He does hate them after all
  • Isn't Semedo a right footed holding midfielder? Put him at right back perhaps, but i'd be worried about him at left back.
    Perhaps put Richardson left back and Semedo right back? Although that's then 2 players out of position as opposed to just one.

What about bringing Sam Sodje back and putting Llera at left back? Although Llera would get done by anyone with an ounce of skill or pace down the wing.

We've certainly got a problem!
  • I'd seriously consider Richardson there over Solly.
  • Richardson as left back, with Solly as right back? Keep Semedo in midfield that way and Solly's wobbles are down to him being on his wrong foot, he'd be a capable enough rightback. Only problem would be this is Milwall after all, can he handle that sort of situation...
  • How about we set ourselves up to control midfield, force them on the back foot, score more goals and play like we've got a superior team to them. Otherwise loan in chris powell
  • could matt spring play left-back?
  • edited March 2010
    This one needs Parky to have a real think. Millwall ripped Basey apart at the Valley and i don't see many of the above being much of an improvement. Whoever plays left back will need his winger to give him alot of protection. Might be a game to put Bailey out wide.
  • play sam sodje left back.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am seriously worried if Jackson is unfit,I hope it is a precaution that he was subbed.

Not only do I feel that he has been a competent left back , but he has allowed Reid to flourish.The side had finally obtained balance.Add Youga to the mix and I would be quite excited about our prospects in the final phase of the season. We've won 3 out of 4 since he signed.

Three weeks ago Parky said we need a left back once Basey was out , with no Jacko that remains the case.Many are saying that we will not be able to extend his loan anyway . If he is unfit it would not happen.

Are there any cheap options to get us through the next month ? Is Omuzi available ? Because although he would be out of position he is more experienced and has trained with us since his loan ended.
  • I would play Semedo there. He came to us as a defender, has the phsicality to deal with Millwall and looked good as a full back when I have seen him play there, in fact i thought RB or LB would be his best position.
  • [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]I would play Semedo there. He came to us as a defender, has the phsicality to deal with Millwall and looked good as a full back when I have seen him play there, in fact i thought RB or LB would be his best position.
    I think he can play there and do a job, would defend as well as anyone. Though I think Parky doesn't use him there is because he doesn't have that ability to drive forward with the ball, like Richardson and Youga do. He's not too good going forward, and as we saw with Cranie and Murty last season, we need someone that can get forward well rather than a full back that can only defend well. He did have that good game as a sub going forward, but it's not something he'd naturally do and he's more likely to take the safe option, it's just not his game.
  • Semedo LB, Solly too inexperienced and would be targeted as Bristol Rovers did.

Spring to play CM in the Semedo role, back four going to need extra protection and despite not playing much recently, Spring has experience and I hope a calming influence, he also played well at Leeds if memory serves?

If Jackson is fit and available, he plays and Semedo slots back into CM!
  • edited March 2010
    Michael Ball is a free agent. Perhaps we could get him in until the end of the season. But he's probably lacking in match fitness.

http://www.givemefootball.com/transfer-details?player=31969
  • [cite]Posted By: Crazy[/cite]Michael Ball is a free agent. Perhaps we could get him in until the end of the season. But he's probably lacking in match fitness.

http://www.givemefootball.com/transfer-details?player=31969

looked like he'd put on a few pounds on Jonathan Ross last Friday night..
  • it is a worry, maybe another infamous loanee???
  • Sodje might do a job at left back but he might accidently kill their winger and get sent off. I'd put in Moo2. He must be desperate to play to put himself in the shop window. If he played crap then haul him off at half time and put Solly in. I have to say, Solly has impressed me...a kid playing out of position for nearly all his first team games and done pretty okay so far.
  • edited March 2010
    Mm. Not an easy situation. What cover do we have a right back? If people don't think Solly is up for left back then I would definitely play Semedo there with Bailey ahead of him to provide extra cover.
  • so then playing Bailey out of position and losing the width Reid provides. No, I'd play Richardson there and play Solly at his natural right-back position. It is a problem though.