Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

St Piran's Day - patron Saint of Cornwall

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
Well, today is St Piran's Day, March 5th.

St Piran, patron saint of tin miners is the St George of Cornwall, with it's Cornish flag and Cornish language - and even its own unitary authority to pay your council tax to.

Perranporth in Cornwall, translates in Cornish as the Port of Piran - well, what d'you know?

Anyone coming out with me tonight to celebrate St Piran's Day?
In Ireland on Paddy's day, they drink their Guinness.

And in Cornwall we drink Tribute, Doombar, Heligan Honey and Cornish Knockers!

Comments

• cornish knockers for me Oggy! shame I live in Bexley, have a good one.
  • Oggy, Happy St Pirans Day! Do St Austells still brew HSD? It always got a bit untidy when we drank that stuff.
  • Cheers Misty!

Plenty of decent beers down this neck of the woods.
    And, of course - just got to be celebrated!
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Bermuda_red[/cite]Oggy, Happy St Pirans Day! Do St Austells still brew HSD? It always got a bit untidy when we drank that stuff.

Oh yes, I should say so!

HSD is lethal stuff at 5.5%. Try drinking 3 pints of that on an empty stomach at lunch time.
    I know......I have!
  • Cornwall is part of England Oggy, you know that country they are trying to wipe out by REGIONAL assemblies.
  • LOL

Only GH could turn a thread about an excuse for a few pints into a rant about regional assemblies.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Cornwall is part of England Oggy, you know that country they are trying to wipe out by REGIONAL assemblies.
    You can't say that to the Cornish, or Mebyon Kernow, Mr Goonerhater.

Cornwall once was independant of England, inhabited by the Celts (read: Ancient Britons pushed back into the parts of Britain that the Romans couldn't reach).

"Mebyon Kernow - the Party for Cornwall is a modern and progressive political party, leading the fight for the self-government of Cornwall through the establishment of a legislative Assembly.

We exist to fight for ALL the people of Cornwall with a political programme that offers an alternative to the London-centred parties.

We are campaigning for a better deal for Cornwall and a fairer, more equitable World, with policies founded on the core values of prosperity for all, social justice and environmental protection.
    "

PS: I didn't know any of that either. I just copied it from their website for educational purposes only.

;o)
  • Henry Henry that in no why is a rant !!!!!!!!!!

having just had to move my seat before i lumped this tosser on the train going on for 20 mins to his partner how he wouldnt wear "the f**king English flag" at a firms bash (he was a Jock) and why he thought it was sh*t -------------------im geting old because i just moved to another seat. So some where out there is a very very very lucky yng man.
  • Oggy no worries mate there is plenty of room on my bonefires on Blackheath for Cornish independance herberts. All that cider they burn up a treat !!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Cornwall is part of England Oggy, you know that country they are trying to wipe out by REGIONAL assemblies.
    You can't say that to the Cornish, or Mebyon Kernow, Mr Goonerhater.

Cornwall once was independant of England, inhabited by the Celts (read: Ancient Britons pushed back into the parts of Britain that the Romans couldn't reach).

"Mebyon Kernow - the Party for Cornwall is a modern and progressive political party, leading the fight for the self-government of Cornwall through the establishment of a legislative Assembly.

We exist to fight for ALL the people of Cornwall with a political programme that offers an alternative to the London-centred parties.

We are campaigning for a better deal for Cornwall and a fairer, more equitable World, with policies founded on the core values of prosperity for all, social justice and environmental protection.
    "

PS: I didn't know any of that either. I just copied it from their website for educational purposes only.

;o)

What next? Freedom for Tooting ;o)

Have a happy Doombar
  • Sponsored links:

• Woolwich ---------------- please let it be Woolwich.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Oggy no worries mate there is plenty of room on my bonefires on Blackheath for Cornish independance herberts. All that cider they burn up a treat !!

No, no, GH .... you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

All the Cornish want is increased fishing quotas to stop Looe and Newlyn becoming an unemployment no-mans land,
    thus preventing all the pubs being closed down.

And affordable housing for 17 year old girls who get pregnant in the village bus shelter.

PS: Other than that, they only want to talk about it all over a few pints of Tribute.
    Cider is hard to get down here - we've got no apple trees, just Celtic crosses and abandoned fishing boats.

;o)
  • the cornish our celts,i like them
  • Gone rght off em Nolly.
  • the real english gh,actually being a celtic man so am i.whoops sink
  • Tribute? Mmmm!

Off to Cornwall for a weekend next month - looking forward to it.
  • Where you staying, Chizzo....?
  • your house.
  • Party at Oggy's ......!

;o)
  • Proud to wear the White Dragon here.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Party at Oggy's ......!

;o)

I've a "Party 7" kicking around under the stairs from way back. Someone else can bring the light ales ; )
  • white dragon are foreigners gh,i was here way before those jute and saxons
  • Now they call em First Nations i believe Nolly.

Think i have "jack pot 4" from about 1973 at my mums.
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Party at Oggy's ......!

;o)

I've a "Party 7" kicking around under the stairs from way back. Someone else can bring the light ales ; )

I've got a bottle of Mackeson in the fridge specially for you, Ray!
  • quite intresting regarding the celts in england they reckon that dna done on white english people around cumbria they came back more celtic than saxon or suchlike,the most saxon stronghold was anglia i believe,it give the indication that the celts were not wiped out but just blended into the more advanced saxon way of life.
  • That's an interesting post, Nolly.

Not too far from me is the River Tamar which since Roman times has been the border between England and Cornwall.

The Saxons later built island or peninsula fortificatons in strategic positions on the Cornish side to enable them to keep control of the river and tidal estuary (the main inland transport route in those days, remember) - and even today, they have Saxon based names.

Two that come to mind are Ince Castle by Saltash, and Inswork near Millbrook, (you can see from the spelling that Inswork is derived from Ince Worth - and even today, the German word for 'island' is 'insel').
    Ince Worth in Saxon means 'Island Fortification'.

Of course, 200 years or so after the Saxons landed, along came the Vikings who created their country of Danelaw, on the Eastern strip of Britain from North to South.

Interestingly the Vikings were derived from earlier Saxon invasion from the Germanic area - the Saxons went North to Scandinavia, as well as West across the North Sea to England.
    And in turn, the Vikings from Scandinavia (2nd generation Saxons) went West to England, and South to Normandy - the Normans were the Norse Men, ie from the North, and 2nd generation Vikings, and 3rd generation Saxons.

So England was occupied by 3 waves of Saxon derived invaders, the Saxons themselves, the Vikings and the Normans.
    If you follow me .....!
  • I'm having a Cornish Pasty for tea, we're not celebrating, that's all we got in the freezer...
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]I'm having a Cornish Pasty for tea, we're not celebrating, that's all we got in the freezer...

If I'd known RedZed, I'd have sent you up a bottle of Skinners' Betty Stogs.
    It'd wash down that pasty a treat.

Well, it is St Piran's day ..... which is where we came in, of course.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]I'm having a Cornish Pasty for tea, we're not celebrating, that's all we got in the freezer...

If I'd known RedZed, I'd have sent you up a bottle of Skinners' Betty Stogs.
    It'd wash down that pasty a treat.

Well, it is St Piran's day ..... which is where we came in, of course.
    It was a Gingsters special, bit too peppery for me, got to pop off to the off licence for some grog now to cool the taste buds down a bit...

Doubt if Jimmy's will have any Betty Stogs in so I'll have to settle for some Speckled Hen...
  • Perranporth are playing really well this year Oggy & should get promoted. They looked good when I saw them in September, 'One Ian Gosling, there's only one Ian Gosling...'. Hope you have a great night.