Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why can't the players "donate" 10% of their salary back to the club

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
Just for the remainder of the season to free up funds to get a couple of players In to get us over the line

if burton is on 6k, moo2 8k, mooney 4k that's £1800 a week already (no substance to those figures - just what's been on here previously.

If they genuinely cared for the club they'd do it - and I think it needs aclub to set an example like this to show players DO care and also to highlight how tight things are

just an idea - feel free to disregard

Comments

• Or an optional quid donation as you walk in the turnstiles every other week, I'd be happy to do that but of course it shouldn't be us donating when we spend os much on the club already following them week in week out.

good idea but a lot of players wouldn't like the idea. especially with premiership players on ridiculous amounts a week.
  • But most players really don't care, that is the point. Football is our passion / pastime, to most of them it is their job
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]if burton is on 6k, moo2 8k, mooney 4k that's £1800 a week already (no substance to those figures - just what's been on here previously.

We care - maybe 180 of us could donate 10 quid a week for the rest of the season. Be honest, that's more likely than what you're suggesting.
  • It's a nice thought, but it'd never happen.

To be fair, would most of us on here give 10% back to our employers just because they'd fucked up their maths in the past?

Read in the paper the other day where some accountant fella was saying that football is - in theory - one of the easiest businesses to run because at the start of the year you can predict with a high degree of accuarcy exactly what your income and expenditure will be, give or take a few percentage points. So, he went on, why is it that just about every club spends more than it knows it will take in?

Sheer bloody madness, that's why.
  • None of us would give 10% back to our employers but we are not on the kind of money these players are on. If I was on over 4k a week I would give up 10% for Charlton (but then I am a fan, most of the players probably do not care enough if we go into admin as they will be sold). Sorry for my cynicism!

I am a student so they can have 10% of my debt if they want aswell!
  • Why not just pay them with odd jobs around their houses?
  • So Burton gives up 10% of his salary so that we can get a striker in to take his place.

Not sure he would be up for it.
  • Unfortunately there are no Steve Gritts in the team. If we had 11 of them, not only would they play for nothing but the sheer determination would probably see us on top of this league. Incidently, having seeing Brown in goal on Charlton_Heroes video, i seem to remember Steve Gritt playing in goal at least once in the 80s, can anyone remember the match?
  • I asked this time last year if the players could be asked to donate their last weeks wages to the club so that ALL those at risk of redundancy could save their jobs for a year. (In the hope that the club could be run properly in the following year) but they weren't even asked. In one ear and out other. Sadly the only one whod donate prob would be elliot!
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I asked this time last year if the players could be asked to donate their last weeks wages to the club so that ALL those at risk of redundancy could save their jobs for a year. (In the hope that the club could be run properly in the following year) but they weren't even asked. In one ear and out other. Sadly the only one whod donate prob would be elliot!

I dont believe any player (except maybe players who support the team they play for such as elliot) in the top 2 tiers of english football would do this these days let alone do what the charlton team did in the 80s playing without payment and not only that but rolling up their sleeves and getting promoted to the 1st Division, that was extraordinary by todays standards. players now would rather **** off somewhere else and see the club go down the pan
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember some players are out of contract in the summer and don't know for certain if they'll find a new club. If they do, they don't know what sort of level they'll be playing at and on what sort of contract.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]If they genuinely cared for the club they'd do it

Most of them dont. Even Bailey will do one if we don't get up.
  • [cite]Posted By: choice TV[/cite]Unfortunately there are no Steve Gritts in the team. If we had 11 of them, not only would they play for nothing but the sheer determination would probably see us on top of this league. Incidently, having seeing Brown in goal on Charlton_Heroes video, i seem to remember Steve Gritt playing in goal at least once in the 80s, can anyone remember the match?

He played against palace away when lange got injured in the early 80's and also against Coventry away around 86/87. We lost 3-0 but he made a fantastic save at 1-0, tipping a header over the bar. I also seem to remember him being considered to start in goal for the last couple of meaningless games of a season as we'd had a run of injuries to keepers. I think one of them would have been at main rd when city thumped us to get promoted. The youth team player (Lee something) played in the end.
  • Interesting to see how many people who are advocating that players (some of whom might be out of a job at the end of June), would do the same if their boss came to them and said, oh look we've made some bad financial decisions of late and we're hoping that you can just freely give some of the money that we agreed to pay you back. It's very easy to suggest that other people, that we perceive to be better off than ourselves give their money away. We're told that we do not have many players on big money anymore, so you're looking at guys on £200k a year, with limited earnings potential beyond 35 having to make provisions for their families and the next 50 years. Sorry, but I think it's a ridiculous proposal and I think it's outrageous to lable people as not caring because they don't want to fund other people's financial errors. The salaries thrown at a variety of piss-poor managers and players are not the problem of Nicky Bailey or Rob Elliot. Equally they're not the problem of the people that got binned out made redundant, but sadly they had to pay for them.

That's not to say that if we are again plunged into deeper crisis and they have to get by without wage for a while, that they won't do that. But that's a decision they'll have to take at the time.

Personally, I don't think I would, and I don't think that means that means I don't care about the particular organisation. It's just a case of looking after yourself and your family.
  • Have to agree with McLovin
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]If they genuinely cared for the club they'd do it

Most of them dont. Even Bailey will do one if we don't get up.

I think they really do care but what is asked is beyond caring, blind faith I think and that belongs to the majority if not all Charlton Fans....
  • Whilst they are limited in their earning potential - we are in a global recession and are still expected to fork out for expensive tickets.

Decent players in this division have been on £100 - £200k a year for several years now so an 8 week reduction of 10% is really not going to hurt them is it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Whilst they are limited in their earning potential - we are in a global recession and are still expected to fork out for expensive tickets.

Decent players in this division have been on £100 - £200k a year for several years now so an 8 week reduction of 10% is really not going to hurt them is it.
    They might not get another contract next season though. The younger players certainly having been earning that sort of money for years either.

McLovin explained it better than I did. Easy to suggest but why should say Deon Burton give up 10% of his wages? He tries his best, but he's not a Charlton fan, he's only got a few more years left of his career, and if he's unlucky with injuries it could be even less.
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: choice TV[/cite]Unfortunately there are no Steve Gritts in the team. If we had 11 of them, not only would they play for nothing but the sheer determination would probably see us on top of this league. Incidently, having seeing Brown in goal on Charlton_Heroes video, i seem to remember Steve Gritt playing in goal at least once in the 80s, can anyone remember the match?

He played against palace away when lange got injured in the early 80's and also against Coventry away around 86/87. We lost 3-0 but he made a fantastic save at 1-0, tipping a header over the bar. I also seem to remember him being considered to start in goal for the last couple of meaningless games of a season as we'd had a run of injuries to keepers. I think one of them would have been at main rd when city thumped us to get promoted. The youth team player (Lee something) played in the end.

Lee Harrison wasnt it?
  • Harmsworth?
  • Sponsored links:

• As if...
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]we are in a global recession and are still expected to fork out for expensive tickets.

I don't think your 'expected' to buy the tickets, you're not even forced to, it really is up to you.
  • Well does your company ask you to contribute a little bit of your wages back to the company, probably not, so why should they. It would be nice and it might help however cant realy ask them to do it its not really fair.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Well does your company ask you to contribute a little bit of your wages back to the company, probably not, so why should they. It would be nice and it might help however cant realy ask them to do it its not really fair.

Some company's haven't given their employees an option, its a paycut or you will have to go. I've an idea.........................Oi Mout2kil, its like this............. : )
  • LOL nicely put TCE
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Well does your company ask you to contribute a little bit of your wages back to the company, probably not, so why should they. It would be nice and it might help however cant realy ask them to do it its not really fair.

Some company's haven't given their employees an option, its a paycut or you will have to go.

Yeah and i think you'll find they are the companies who's employees end up going on strike ....Probably not the best idea then.
  • sombody in the premiership is sort of doing this think it might be west ham asking all the players to take a paycut of 10%
  • [cite]Posted By: route one[/cite]sombody in the premiership is sort of doing this think it might be west ham asking all the players to take a paycut of 10%

No they just aint going to pay them as much when they renew contracts. In the meantime they are just laying off all the backroom staff
  • The playing staff will be the last to be affected. It'll be backroom non football side first then compromise agreements for all other football backroom staff. Players contracts won't change unless its a renewal where it could be rewritten or they'll be sold to pay for other high wages. Same as any club. Players are v protected. Contracts, agents and the pfa. Doing some work on the economics and governance of football at the momentm. What with some knowledge from working at a club, its very interesting stuff.
  • who do you work for now suz ?