Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

record attendence

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
who knows what our biggest attendence was either

number (within 500)

who agenst or

year

first person to correctly guess wins well nothing i was just shocked when i realised the number

Comments

• Home 75,031 against Villa. 1937.........................Didnt make it
    Wembley 98,000 against Derby 1946.....................didnt make it
    Wembley 98,215 against Burnley 1947 Won.............didnt make it
    Wembley 77,739 against Sunderland 1998 Won.........Made it....... wot a day that woz.

Take your pick mate.
  • Did we beat Villa at home in 1937, it's so long ago now I can't remember?
  • [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]Did we beat Villa at home in 1937, it's so long ago now I can't remember?

Drew 1 - 1

Then drew 2- 2 at Villa Park in front of 61,530

2nd replay at Highbury we lost 4 - 1 in front of 64,782 but we had only 10 men from 30 minutes after Hobbis broke his leg and 9 after 88 minutes when Tadman went off as well.

We were 1 up before Hobbis went off but Villa scored on 58, 84, 88 and 89 mins. Robbed!

The 201,343 aggreagate is an all time FA Cup Record for a series of 3 games.

After the 2nd game the Villa Chairman threw 31 coins on the boardroom table. Albert Glickstien called heads and won 16 - 15 so it was back to London rather than to Wolves.

Why 31 and not just 1 or even 3 or 5 I have no idea.
  • edited March 2010
    You could have just done a link Henry..... http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=4389&page=1#Item_0

ps Not many of the youth realise this board was even going in 1938!
  • [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]You could have just done a link Henry.....http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=4389&page=1#Item_0

I think we had the same source : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    After the 2nd game the Villa Chairman threw 31 coins on the boardroom table. Albert Glickstien called heads and won 16 - 15 so it was back to London rather than to Wolves.

Why 31 and not just 1 or even 3 or 5 I have no idea.

Brilliant pub ammo that is Henry.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]
    ps Not many of the youth realise this board was even going in 1938!

I liked it when Charlton Life was a note pad passed around the Covered End and you could add a note in pencil at the bottom but I guess you have to move on.
  • Seriuous question...if we were drawing crowds of 60k back in those days where has the next generation of that support gone?

Obviously it is a hell of a lot more expensive but im not sure we would get 60k in the prem now would we? (Not including those going to watch "big" teams")
  • How much was it to get into the game in them days?
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Seriuous question...if we were drawing crowds of 60k back in those days where has the next generation of that support gone?

Obviously it is a hell of a lot more expensive but im not sure we would get 60k in the prem now would we? (Not including those going to watch "big" teams")

Those attendances were the exception rather than the rule but that said I believe we averaged more than 40k a match as a home attendance one season in the fifties.

The support melted away because of an actual and perceived lack of ambition by the Glikstens so that by the time we got relegated to division 3 in 1972 we were lucky to get 10K through the gate. It perked up a little bit in the mid 70s when Killer was in his pomp but died away to the extent of near bankruptcy and Selhurst exile.

That's my take anyway based partly on personal experience and partly on talking to older relatives now sadly gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]How much was it to get into the game in them days?

6d or 1s for terraces 2/6d for seats.

As for where the fans went you could right a doctorate on that.

Firstly average league gates were 28,336 that season. Still made us the 6th best supported team in division 1.

In those days the FA cup was much more of a draw and the Villa game was a fifth round game.

In those days working class men still worked Saturday mornings so many thousands of men worked at the Woolwich Arsenal and the many factories along the river in Woolwich and Charlton and would come straight to games.

Also the large barracks at Woolwich would mean many squaddies at big games as well.

Post war as the Arsenal closed and other factories closed and people moved away the Club also declined so the son's and daughters of many fans would either have chosen other clubs or given up on a team that spent 30 years in division 2 with 2 brief trips to div 3.

There was a lack of ambition, as Len said, as shown by the lack of any work on the ground and visits from big teams like Villa or Arsenal were very rare.
  • Keep it coming Henry please this is great reading. Not sure what the highest Charlton attendance is I've been a part of, at the Valley probably 27,111 minus a few ;-) elsewhere, Emirates, OT, I'm not sure.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]How much was it to get into the game in them days?

6d or 1s for terraces 2/6d for seats.

As for where the fans went you could right a doctorate on that.

Firstly average league gates were 28,336 that season. Still made us the 6th best supported team in division 1.

In those days the FA cup was much more of a draw and the Villa game was a fifth round game.

In those days working class men still worked Saturday mornings so many thousands of men worked at the Woolwich Arsenal and the many factories along the river in Woolwich and Charlton and would come straight to games.

Also the large barracks at Woolwich would mean many squaddies at big games as well.

Post war as the Arsenal closed and other factories closed and people moved away the Club also declined so the son's and daughters of many fans would either have chosen other clubs or given up on a team that spent 30 years in division 2 with 2 brief trips to div 3.

There was a lack of ambition, as Len said, as shown by the lack of any work on the ground and visits from big teams like Villa or Arsenal were very rare.

Indeed Henry...... one of my banners that I made during the Nelson out campaign read...............25 years of Sweet FA.
  • It's always said the biggest crowd at The Valley (leaving aside the Who concerts) was the first time we played Arsenal in 1936-7. Although it was "Officially" 68,000, the general consensus was that another 10-15000 got over the fence that day.

My Dad went to the Arsenal cup game in 1956 which had 71,000 inside, he said that before he even got to Lansdowne Mews it was like sardines outside. He got as far as the top of the East terrace and said he wouldn't have got that far save for the pressure of people still coming in behind him. I think it was 40 minutes between going through the turnstile and seeing the pitch!

I still reckon the biggest crowd I've seen at The Valley was for the Spurs game in 1977, it felt much more packed than the West Ham or QPR cup games from the same era.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite] one of my banners that I made during the Nelson out campaign read...............25 years of Sweet FA.

Fantastic! SoundAsa I'd like to shake your hand. I remember seeing that as a kid and asking my dad about what FA meant. He was very coy about it. At first he just said it stood for Football Association. But I carried on questioning as only an annoying school kid could, "That doesn't make sense, what does it really mean"?.... "It means Nothing"...."That's a bit odd, why would someone make a sign that means nothing?".... and so our conversation went on until I finally weadled it out of him. When I did, I remember being struck by how clever it was. It may seem stupid now, but as a little kid, your banner made quite an impression on me. Thank you.