Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

7 into 6.........

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
looking at tonights table I feel that the top 2 automatic and 4 play-off places are now down to the top 7 (MK Dons in 8th are 9 points off 6th ) ........just wondering who will miss out come May ?

Last sat after our win I was thinking we could stll make the top 2 and after Tuesday night I was fearing we could be the 7th team...........and the only thing has Friday nght has changed is that it may go right down to the last day.

thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    i think were be in the play offs but if they could get a late run going they will overtake leeds,huddersfield are a dark horse for second
  • Options
    Good w/e results wise for Charlton but with tough games for the run in our form needs to improve dramatically for us to stay in the top 6 I fear. Millwall & Huddersfield have picked up of late and I still think Southampton have it in them to put a long winning run together.
  • Options
    hope we get the pitch at most playable saturday,stockport would welcome a pudding pitch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]looking at tonights table I feel that the top 2 automatic and 4 play-off places are now down to the top 7 (MK Dons in 8th are 9 points off 6th ) ........just wondering who will miss out come May ?

Last sat after our win I was thinking we could stll make the top 2 and after Tuesday night I was fearing we could be the 7th team...........and the only thing has Friday nght has changed is that it may go right down to the last day.

thoughts ?
    Claridge just confirmed all of that ;o)
  • Options
    We have got a tough run in, but so have all the other teams! This meaning that there are guaranteed dropped points for some of them. I never realised until today that Swindons games in hand are infact MK Dons and Southampton away. We do seem to play well when we play the top teams i just hope we can carry that on. Its made up for a fantastic final quarter/half of the season!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]hope we get the pitch at most playable saturday,stockport would welcome a pudding pitch.

Not necessarily, they have a pudding pitch of their own but have been struggling to win there ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]looking at tonights table I feel that the top 2 automatic and 4 play-off places are now down to the top 7 (MK Dons in 8th are 9 points off 6th ) ........just wondering who will miss out come May ?

thoughts ?[/quote]

either palace or pompey fail to start the next season and it will be 7 into 7...sorted...

i thought i heard last week (on talksport i think) that teams aren't allowed to start the season if they are still in admin on 1st august...no idea if that's true or not though...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]We have got a tough run in, but so have all the other teams! This meaning that there are guaranteed dropped points for some of them. I never realised until today that Swindons games in hand are infact MK Dons and Southampton away. We do seem to play well when we play the top teams i just hope we can carry that on. Its made up for a fantastic final quarter/half of the season!

Well said, cafc_se7.
    One thing many people seem to overlook, is the obvious one that no team is likely to get maximum points in the run in.

Another thing, when the top teams play each other ........ they can't both get the 3 points.
    And if they draw, a point each also means 2 points dropped - that could be the perfect result for us.

But Charlton have to get their results too, of course.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    http://www.oleole.com/tables/21/46/rank/a

75 points would of been enough to ensure a playoff birth last season so according to that 4 more wins would put us in. Home wins against Stockport, Gillingham, Carlise and away at Exeter SIMPLES LOL

In all honesty though the games against Norwich, Leeds, Southampton, Norwich, Huddersfield and Colchester will decide our season, 4 wins from that lot and we WILL we gaurenteed the play offs at least.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: letthegoodtimesroll[/cite] i thought i heard last week (on talksport i think) that teams aren't allowed to start the season if they are still in admin on 1st august...no idea if that's true or not though...

As far as I know, Stockport County have been in administration for nearly 12 months now, and they definitely ended last season and started this one in administration (they took the -10 last season)
    [cite]Posted By: letthegoodtimesroll[/cite]either palace or pompey fail to start the next season and it will be 7 into 7...sorted...

I'm not criticising here, but how would that work? If the team in 5th wins the playoffs, who goes up? 1,2,3, and 5, or would there be new playoffs? I'd be more inclined to think that if either club folds just before the start of the new season, whatever division they should be in would carry on with one fewer team and it'd be sorted out through promotion at the end of next season. If either of them were to collapse before this season ends (I don't think that's likely), then yes you would be right about 7 into 7.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen Norwich's next 4 fixtures are:

yeovil (h)

huddersfield (a)

swindon (a)

leeds (h)

By the end of that everyone could be closed back up.
  • Options
    I know its that time of year because I've just done the BBC predictor.

You can discount Charlton ( I cannot be rational about us ). I had us second on 95 points . Norwich on 99 and Leeds on 93.

Colchester 89
    Swindon83
    Millwall 79

Huddersfield 73
    Southampton 72 ( worryingly )

A couple of things surprised me Saints could break from the lower pack Pardew certainly has a bigger squad than any of his rivals and next season they will be very competitive and we may need more than 75 points to make the play offs . I'd previusly believed 75 would be enough and that four wins out of twelve games would see us home

At the other end Wycombe survive on 41 points and Hartlepool , Gillingham , Tranmere and Stockport fall , which does not feel accurate.
  • Options
    Some fascinating fixtures coming up. Every weekend between now and the end of season will include at least 1 grudge match starting with Huddersfield v Southampton tonight.

Never thought being in league 1 would be so exciting.
  • Options
    To be honest League 1 is shaping up to have the tightest and most entertaining finish around. Whilst the Premiership is pretty open there is little interest in there for me - whereas we have 7 teams fighting it out for 6 spots - two of which are golden ones!

If we can come into some form right now we could make it in the top 2 - we just need to win against our main rivals aswell as the Stockport's of this world

Starting Saturday we need to get a run going.
  • Options
    next season pardew will piss this league
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]next season pardew will piss this league

No he won't. Southampton will be as inconsistent as anything next year. They'll be up there but they won't walk away with anything
  • Options
    Or after being in a play-off place for the first couple of months, start tinkering with loan players to 'guarantee a top two finish' and feck it all up!
  • Options
    I dunno mate, even without the points deduction they would be 7 points off of the playoffs.
  • Options

He won't even be there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    I dunno mate, even without the points deduction they would be 7 points off of the playoffs.

That's true but take out their poor early season form when they had virtually a whole new side to bed in and they'd be right up there. Unbeaten in the league in 2010 including winning away at Norwich and they've recently signed Fonte, Puncheon and Barnard as well. Once the team is settled there won't be many better sides than them in this division next season. The most important factor of course with Pardew is whether he can stick with a settled side. However i think he's learned his lesson from his time with us. Instead of signing players who 'might' be good enough and are stepping up a division (Varney and McLeod being 2 that spring to mind), he's signing players who've already done it at the level he's at (Lambert, Barnard, Puncheon).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    totally agree,i think he has been embarrassed with what happened with us and is determined he wont make the same mistake again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

That's true but take out their poor early season form when they had virtually a whole new side to bed in and they'd be right up there. Unbeaten in the league in 2010 including winning away at Norwich and they've recently signed Fonte, Puncheon and Barnard as well. Once the team is settled there won't be many better sides than them in this division next season. The most important factor of course with Pardew is whether he can stick with a settled side. However i think he's learned his lesson from his time with us. Instead of signing players who 'might' be good enough and are stepping up a division (Varney and McLeod being 2 that spring to mind), he's signing players who've already done it at the level he's at (Lambert, Barnard, Puncheon).

How long is "early season" in your opinion? If the season started on 1st October and they didn't have a points deduction, Southampton would be 4th. That's leaving out the first 10 matches, which is more than enough time to bed in a team, right?

Incidentally, if the season started on 1st October, we'd be in 8th (2 points behind Southampton) and Leeds would be in 7th

Another incidental thing, if the season started on 1st January, and played the same number of matches as us and kept form consistent over the extra matches that they haven't played, Southampton would be 5th, again 2 points ahead of us, who would again be in 8th
  • Options
    Pardew has been told playoffs atleast or he is gone i have heard from our powerade rep down there that he may not even be left there if he makes the playoffs.

promotion or bust for that muggy big nosed piece of shit
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]How long is "early season" in your opinion? If the season started on 1st October and they didn't have a points deduction, Southampton would be 4th. That's leaving out the first 10 matches, which is more than enough time to bed in a team, right?

Incidentally, if the season started on 1st October, we'd be in 8th (2 points behind Southampton) and Leeds would be in 7th

Another incidental thing, if the season started on 1st January, and played the same number of matches as us and kept form consistent over the extra matches that they haven't played, Southampton would be 5th, again 2 points ahead of us, who would again be in 8th

"Funny ol' game, Saint"

;o)
  • Options
    Would not surprise me if Pardew is sacked if Saints do not go up.

How about Pardew to be the next Palace manager when Hart leaves at the end of the season?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

How long is "early season" in your opinion? If the season started on 1st October and they didn't have a points deduction, Southampton would be 4th. That's leaving out the first 10 matches, which is more than enough time to bed in a team, right?

Early season in my mind was the first 6 or 7 games where they didn't register a single victory.

If you were doing a table from the 1st October as you say they'd be 4th which is fairly good going, but also remember that they have 2 games in hand on most clubs in the play offs and 3 games in hand on us.

Anyway i stand by my initial point that there will not be many (if any) better teams in this division than them next season. I think they'll be clear title favourites.
  • Options
    That's based on points-per-game, not actual points won, so their games in hand don't come into it.