Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Back To Basics

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
No not the fiasco presided over by John Major back in the nineties but what is important about being a Charlton fan.

We all went through school being ridiculed for supporting Charlton rather than Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham or even Liverpool yet something kept us loyal to Charlton.

Players come players go some are revered some are reviled but Charlton, The Valley and me remain. We've dined at the top table of the English game and, as epitomised against Brighton on Tuesday, considerably lower down the food chain but Charlton, The Valley and me remain.

Charlton for me is about family. My beloved late father and grandparents first took me in 1963 and I can go to a match at The Valley and they are with me. All sorts of memories flood back like standing on the little wall hanging onto the fence at the bottom of the East Terrace and seeing Brian Ord in agony injured yards from me on the running track. "It's my fucking knee" he told the trainer (Charlie Hall probably). I got home, thinking of the game as small boys do and imagining I was wearing the red shirt at The Valley. Suddenly I found myself on the floor rolling around making "injured" noises. "What's wrong?" I was asked. "It's my fucking knee" I said. Slap! "Don't swear in the house." "Brian Ord said it at Charlton" I said. Slap! "Don't answer back." My first lesson that Charlton could bring pain and that the red shirted collossuses were not infallible after all. Little did I know then that I was destined to repeat that lesson or similar often in subsequent years!

Later on I took my considerably younger brother whom now, sadly, I seldom see to his first match at The Valley, a 1-1 draw against Chelsea in 1975 or thereabouts. I watched with pleasure as he too became "infected" with Charlton. I knew my wife would understand me when she sat with me (it was a romantic date after all so show the girl a bit of class!) in the Stand to watch Charlton in a third division match against a Carlisle side including a young Peter Beardsley. She even came back for more. Not many years later the nightmare departure from The Valley happened and my love affair with Charlton was suspended. I made the occasional visit to Selhurst but nothing like as often as I went to The Valley and anyway it didn't feel right.

After seven long years we returned to The Valley and by then two of my children were old enough to come with me. "Big fat big fat Pete big fat Peter Garland" was the chant they loved and they came with me until they diasappeared to university and beyond. By this time my youngest was old enough to come and she has been the most enthusiastic of the three sitting with me in the Upper Covered End. However she too is now at university so comes irregularly and I think the reason the Brighton game depressed me so much at the time was that I realised I was on my own.

However I was not really on my own because the memories I've mentioned above will always be there with Charlton,The Valley and me regardless of what division we are in and that is what Charlton is really about.

Charlton and surrounding areas have changed beyond recognition since I was a child yet Charlton and The Valley is the link to a long gone past and family heritage.

Sorry if this monologue has been boring. All I can say is don't read it although if you've got this far you probably already have so sorry again:-)

Comments

• Options
    great stuff len .... we can thank curbs for fulfilling our boyhood dreams of top flight football for charlton at our beloved valley, i know i never thought i'd see that day and sadly i don't think it'll happen again in my lifetime ...................
  • Options
    was boring though.
  • Options
    i thought len's story was good, boring is a bit harsh nolly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]was boring though.

What??
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Very sentimental tonight Len! I reckon you must have had at least a bottle of a very fine red wine! But I know where you are coming from. I attended my first match in 63 or 64. Can't blame my parents though. It was SHG's late uncle. He use to give SHG, me and my brother 1 shilling each to get some sweets from the sweet shop (I always use to get a frys and an aero bar) and then we would walk from Pelton road to the Valley and then he would pay for us to get in. And he was a pensioner!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i thought len's story was good, boring is a bit harsh nolly

I think he was probably joking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i thought len's story was good, boring is a bit harsh nolly

I think he was probably joking.

I certainly hope so SE8.
  • Options
    of course i bloody was fuck me am i the new gav? lighten up
  • Options
    especially you soundsas
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]especially you soundsas

You been down the pub nolly?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thanks il sleep better now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]thanks il sleep better now.

I think you should....LOL!!
  • Options
    Quality stuff Len. Being only 26 i've got all this to look forward too, taking family to football etc. Just hope theres a Charlton Athletic around then!
  • Options
    Len, i read your post late last night and it was probable the most enjoyable post i've read for a very long time, so thanks.
  • Options
    Nice one Len, I can really relate to your story. My Dad is also sadly no longer around, but I've still got a little engraved brick outside the club offices on which our names are displayed together. The Valley is sacred ground to me and I feel reunited with him whenever I return.
  • Options
    Yup...lump in throast time alright...thanks Len.
  • Options
    Yeah nice post len, must of took alot of thought to write all that. nice one mate
  • Options
    Good post, lots of similarities to my own Charlton background.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind remarks.
  • Options
    Perhaps we should meet Katrien halfway and write about our favourite restaurants and why they are important to us.