Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Thatcher

Looks like he's going to be investigated more after previous challenges in reserves games.

Is it just me or is slightly unwelcome in football? I'm in no way backing up what he did, the challenge on the Pompey bloke was absolutely disgraceful but police investigations is a tad over the top if you ask me. Ban him, fine him do whatever but if the police start to get involved with things like this then it wont be long until they start getting involved with lesser challenges. Its taking away the physical aspect of the game & this along with the ref blowing up for lame challenges its starting to ruin the game.

How long is it before players refuse to go out and play (through fear) because bodies outside the game are getting involved in challenges that have been part of the game for decades?

Comments

• Options
    Christiano, on Saturday 15 October 2006, you were seen to dive in the penalty area of Old Trafford. This resulted in a penalty kick being awarded to Manchester United. I'm afraid I have to arrest you on grounds of deception. Anything you say may be taken.................
  • Options
    if mendes was to have died as a result of the challenge,would it be okay for thatcher to receive a couple of match bans and a fine with the police unable to do anything about it? where do you draw the line?
  • Options
    Opens up a big can of worms if the game goes down this route.....

Where does it end? Could a sliding tackle that injures a player be taken as assault?

What about boxing? Surely that's GBH?!
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    No thats obviously an extreme circumstance, but with injuries and all the rest of it is harsh in my opinion. Anything small could regarded as assault - Could lead to players not being covered by insurance and all sorts.

What happened when Flanagan & Hales had that fight, was there a police investigation & all the hassle like there was with Bowyer & Dyer? Or was it accepted as being part of the game?
  • Options
    i think the police should deal with footballers the same way they deal with rugby players that stand toe to toe and beat the living juice out of each other, (eg nothing).
    however, thatcher has proved that it wasn't a one off moment of madness by him as the reserve game earlier in the year has come to light. and also does anyone remember when he played for wimbledon at selhurst against sunderland (i think) he decked someone with an elbow and the ball wasn't even in the same half of the pitch.
    i think if no action is taken against him this sort of incident may become more frequent and will be only a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured if not worse.
  • Options
    If the police get involved in this then they have to get involved in rugby.
  • Options
    I seriously don't believe that the Police can beome involved in matters on the field. Where would you draw the line- I know people can always argue about " well it's different" at the hghest level it's not. Willing participants enter a sporting arena to play a sport that is physical-

Players know what is possible when they enter the pitch, I am certainly not condoning what Thatcher did- if anything, the sporting authorities should have stronger powers- maybe Thatcher should just be banned for life.
  • Options
    Why not? The laws of the land don't suddenly cease when a game of football begins, and no sportsman should be immune from prosecution. Remember that Duncan Ferguson was was jailed for head-butting someone. What Thatcher is guilty of IMO is not a badly timed or misdirected foul but a piece of thuggery.

The question is did he foul Mendes with the deliberate intent to cause him some injury, presumably with to either put him out of the game or reduce his will to play, and if he did then was acting with malice aforethought and the police are right to get involved. It'll be difficult to get a prosecution, the police will have to prove intent, and the only thing they have in their favour is that Thatcher made no attempt to play the ball while making sure he pile-drived straight into Mendes and as he did so bringing his arm up to strike Mendes while protecting himself.
  • Options
    To be honest BFR- Emotionally, i struggle to disagree with you. But, wearing my pragmatist hat, where would it end- Rugby, Ice-Hockey, Wrestling, Boxing, and yes Football, they are all sports where participants can and do get hurt, whether meant or not.

My view is "buyer beware" - you enter the field aware of what could happen- but if the thugs appear- then punnish them to the maximum extent!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stanmoreaddick[/cite]My view is "buyer beware" - you enter the field aware of what could happen- but if the thugs appear- then punnish them to the maximum extent!

That's the issue though - how do you prove someone's acted like a 'thug' and gone in to deliberately elbow another player? Yes, a punch or a headbutt is clear - there's intent and it's deliberate. But Thatcher's incident - was it deliberate? Did he just raise his arm in defence as he had no where else to go?

(ok, Thatcher is probably a bad example, as it looks pretty likely that he went in to injure, but you catch my drift...)

Take Hermans elbow v Bolton. Was it intentional? Wasnt it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boy he is popular!
  • Options
    i'm going to take your search function away :-)
  • Options
    Hehehe
  • Options
    you can take the player out of millwall but you can't take the millwall out of the player ... thug and a loser
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There is a legal defense of "reasonable consent to violence" which has been interpreted to include violence not sanctioned by the rules but which can be reasonably expected to occur within the confines of the game. This might make it hard to get a conviction in Thatcher's case. Although it's hard to imagine concussion and seizures being part of Mendes' or anyone's reasonable expectations of what might happen during a football match, the defense would probably claim those were unanticipated consequences of an illegal but normal action.

Canadian ice hockey had a similar issue with Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore which resulted in a conviction against Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi is back playing, and Moore is still struggling with rehabilitation.