Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Bugle

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
I have been advised that the back room at The Bugle, where they have the big screen for the football, will now be permanently closed on match days, as apparently it costs too much to open it. The costs being the lighting and the need to pay a cleaner.

Comments ? I have my own views, but just wondered what others thought ?

Comments

• didnt realise they still opened it as dont drink there on match day. Havent done for about for 4 years. But JUst left there, so will ask lee next time i pop in.
  • To keep cleaning costs down they could replace the grated cheese rolls with slices of cheese (the grated variety frequently ends up on the floor).

Also maybe they could replace the bulb with one that uses less energy.

They could also remove A) the fridge or B) the motorbike, to fit more punters in.

Was said room not a high class restaurant once?
  • I have it on good authority that they used to do a very good Sunday lunch, served in the back room - but this was about 10 years ago.

Some might say that it hasn't been cleaned since & might wonder where the cleaning costs come into it.

Cleaning costs = nil, you could do it yourself in 15 minutes.

Lighting costs = £1.

Lost customers = 50 at £8 per head = £400

Lost profit = £200 less £1 lighting = £199.

Pure conjecture of course. I must be missing something.
  • Is this the same pub who said he did not need the football crowd? as they were doing fine
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Is this the same pub who said he did not need the football crowd? as they were doing fine

That's the one...

I seem to remember there being a manky mattress in that back round too... class
  • edited February 2010
    Only used to go there for the football on the big screen, when that became inconsistant never bothered going back. that move probably cost them a fortune as they used to have a lager tap in that room and it was always packed upto 230. If they dont need to football crowd then losing the money during a reccession wont be too much of a concern to them
  • I like the Bugle and watched an England game in there after we played in the room in question it was a laugh and a decent set up.
  • Drink in there on probably around 15 games a season, and always go in the back room. Would have to agree with covered end that a) it definitely can't cost a lot to clean as it doesn't look like it ever gets cleaned apart from a barmaid taking the empties away and b) how much can a few lightbulbs cost?!
  • They probably will have to pay more to the Performing Rights Society for the big screen, which is more than you think.
  • They had a handwritten sign up in there saying if you were watching football you had to consume a minimum of 2 drinks per hour. Even though I never stand around in a pub without a drink in my hand this seemed like uneccesary Scrooginess and I kind of resent being told it.. God knows how they'd police it. We used to drink there at every home game but the state of the place was getting worse and worse. I don't mind a bit of a rough and ready boozer, but it was getting pretty miserable.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've seen him police it. I was in the blackheath standard last year and the amount of nobbers sitting around drinking pints of tap water sitting up front on the comfy sofas watching arsenal v chelsea would make my blood boil if i were a publican. costs a lot of money to have sky on the telly so you need punters in drinking. even if its a pint of coke.
  • i think the sign says 2 drinks per match (2 hours).
    when he has to pay £1200 per month for the sky package, i don't think it's unreasonable.
  • There is a similar notice in Hardys in east greenwich also.
  • One of my haunts, used to be lovely pub, and yes they did a wicked Sunday dinner we would often walk up church lane on a Sunday for a meal in there, about 5 years ago it went downhill fast, there was a hole in the gents roof, the cubical looked like the one from trainspotting, I witnessed numerous people openly snorting sniff on the tables, me and my mate gave it a miss for a year or so. Went back last year and seems to have picked up, nice barmaids... no edgy atmosphere, still a few local youths tho, but the posh villagers seem to have returned. Good pint of stella and guiness too, if anyone else is regular in there, how tight as the marathon mans teeshirt got!!! He's been wearing that in there since I can remeber, I'm sure it say either 88 or 89 on there.. oh and sadly no more micky pierce...
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]They had a handwritten sign up in there saying if you were watching football you had to consume a minimum of 2 drinks per hour. Even though I never stand around in a pub without a drink in my hand this seemed like uneccesary Scrooginess and I kind of resent being told it.. God knows how they'd police it. We used to drink there at every home game but the state of the place was getting worse and worse. I don't mind a bit of a rough and ready boozer, but it was getting pretty miserable.

Agree with all of this. I don`t stand around not drinking either but resent the sign reminding me. Used to be a really lovely pub back in the day. To be honest its now a dump and the stuff about not cost effective to have rear room open is quite frankly laughable. Will drink elsewhere from now on methinks.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]There is a similar notice in Hardys in east greenwich also.

Now that's a proper boozer, just a shame it's not closer to the ground, would be an ideal pre match pub.
  • The sign does say 2 per match and I can't say I have a problem with that. You may also notice that there are a lot of newspaper cuttings about how local boozers are going out of business left, right and centre as punch taverns are taking over. I think they definitely need the match day crowd
  • We've started drinking in the Bugle more often recently, mainly because it's the closest pub to my Dad's house that serves real ale. I like it there and I'm quite happy to drink the Sky TV minimum.
  • edited February 2010
    Ended up for a few early evening in the RoD on Saturday, and really pleased i did. Nice homely little boozer, with friendly bar staff. Couldn't fault it.
  • To be fair to The Bugle, most of the boozers in Charlton are just as shit really. All could do with a clean and have seen better days, all bar one thaat is - and we ain't allowed in there!
  • Sponsored links:

• Didnt realise there was an all bar one in Charlton?
  • ho ho ho - what a funny, funny fella you are. no, stop it - purleeease!
  • As for the Anti Offy, walked in there and walked straight out again Saturday evening. Moody as anything.
  • Did you have your hat on?

It would explain a lot.
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]i think the sign says 2 drinks per match (2 hours).
    when he has to pay £1200 per month for the sky package, i don't think it's unreasonable.

Agreed. More pubs should enforce this imo. Seen instances where football is shown live on sky, and you have a dozen blokes sitting there sipping half a coke (each, not between them), and do one as soon as the game is over.
  • I have no objection to the guvnor of any pub requiring his patrons to have a least two pints if staying to watch the footie. What I don't like is the sign The Bugle has up saying piss off to another pub nailed to the front door. Even if I wanted to watch the football and drink ten pints this warm welcome would be enough to turn me away. Then again I am a very sensitive soul.
  • edited February 2010
    My mate runs a pub and he used to get a lot of Africans come in to watch the football and not drink at all, when he challenged them one of them would buy a Coke. He had a chat with all the regulars and said that he would put a sign up saying "£10 admission when football on TV, returnable when 2 drinks purchased". As usual the Africans all turned up for the next game, saw the sign and pissed off. A couple of them came in and said they hadn't seen the sign but my mate told them they would have to pay, so they fucked off too. He never had to charge any of us the tenner but he said if he had had to then he would have given us our money back, it was just for show but had the desired result.
    Simples!
  • I agree it takes the piss if people are doing that, I thought the bloke was a prize plate when he gave my mate grief at the Palace game a couple of years ago. He said he didn't need the aggro of a football crowd so I took that problem away from him and won't ever drink his shit beer in his shit pub again. If I'm on one on a match day I'll get through £30 easily drinking on my own. If he don't need that money then that's no dramas to me. I can give it to someone who'll have it and not offer me a twobit opinion or raise my blood temperature.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I have no objection to the guvnor of any pub requiring his patrons to have a least two pints if staying to watch the footie. What I don't like is the sign The Bugle has up saying piss off to another pub nailed to the front door. Even if I wanted to watch the football and drink ten pints this warm welcome would be enough to turn me away. Then again I am a very sensitive soul.

Its not really aimed at the football crowd - its really aimed at the vagabonds of charlton village on a sunday afternoon or monday night who use it to watch free football.
  • o will be drinking in here tonight just the one though work at 8 tommorrow.