Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone been to Halkidiki or Slovenia?

Obviously got some well travelled folk on here and we've booked cheapo A/I's in what appear to be areas that no-one with healthier bank accounts would choose as a holiday destination. Any good news for us would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• I was in Slovenia last summer, and many Czech colleagues know it well. I really liked it too. What would you like to know?
  • edited February 2010
    Halkadiki. Was there about seven years ago. Flew to Thesalonika and got bussed to the resort of Fourka which is to be honest a bit of a schlep. Fourka is small and friendly and whole family loved it. Other resorts on the peninsula are similar so I understand. Would I go back. Yes.
  • Went halkidiki a couple of years ago and stayed at a purpose built resort called Sani. I loved it and the hotels and harbour were great, but not the place to stay if you are after somewhere traditional. Done a few trips to markets, villages and seemed nice and friendly
  • Use to live in Slovenia so ask away.
  • Cheers guys. Halkidiki sounds good, harbour walkies etc. In Slovenia we're going to Kranjska Gora, but in the summer. As it's a winter sports resort we're just wondering what there is to do. Normally like the cultural/history circuits and love wildlife, but age and decrepitude have limited us to the fur and feather variety. Would a hire car be useful? Two weeks to fill!!
  • edited February 2010
    One word of warning...they have a thing about the English. Myself and Mrs Windscdreen were racially and religously abused whist on holiday in Ljubljana, where I used to live and work. Finally I was punched in the face while looking at flowers...my crime? The guy who hit me thought I was a protestant (English accent). When I lived there 2000-2002 my girlfriend at the time commented on the fact that although everyone was embracing the new era and the imminant move to join the common market, the racist mentality would return...and sure enough she was right. This was a country that I thought I'd never want to leave, I'm now glad I did. In saying all this, away from Ljubljana the people dont seem to have the same hard line views as in the capital, so please enjoy your holiday.
  • Blimey, Mr Windscreen thats a story. For sure that would leave a mark. Well you know the country much better than me, based on my holiday last year, I like it a lot and may well give it another go (its driveable from Prague). Thinking about it though, all the old Yugoslavia produces some chippy people.
    I would say definitely hire a car, because its great advantage is that there is so much variety in a very small country.An elegant new motorway traverses the country, and the only nutters on it are the ones with Italian plates . I didnt much care for Maribor, but it was only a lunch stop. Did you know it used to be twinned with Greenwich? I really liked Ljubljana, and for sure everyone was nice. On the coast (all 45kms of it) you have to know that there are no beaches as we understand them but the water is clean, and the seafood is great. Portoroz is tacky, but Piran and Izola are lovely Venetian towns. All along the coast is a cycle path they converted from the old railway. They grow some decent wine now too, although you have to seek out the good ones. I bought some from Vinag in Maribor, the biggest wine cellar in Europe they say, well the pinot noir I opened this week was foul, only good for cooking.
    Buy the Rough Guide. It'll give you the lowdown on everything, including what to do in Kranjska Gora :-)
  • Grateful thanks to all, very useful. Best not let them know of my Italian origins then? So basically, get on our bikes and take our Gin and Single malts with us. We'll survive!
  • Dont forget to try the soups...there are about 100 different types / all good!
  • Sponsored links:

• i'm off to Ljubljana and Bled later this year, can't wait, looks lovely!
  • Neil, make sure its not cloudy when you go to Lake Bled, cos sitting in the lakeside restaurant and looking up at the mountains is about as good as life gets scenery wise.
  • Yeah, the pictures look amazing! I think we're doing 2 days there in the middle of a week in Ljubljana, have read you can kajaking n the lake etc which we're keen to do!