Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pundits on Match of the Day

Do we need them? Discuss.

For me, no, I understand how football is played, I understand the laws of the game, I dont need a has been pro, drawing rings under players pointing out that they were out of position, I can see that when I watch the games. Also if we got rid of them we would get more coverage of each team, especially when we get back in the Prem.

It its a live game then we have to fill up half time with something, then I suppose we have to have them!

Comments

• Options
    Andy Gray's the best pundit......
  • Options
    pundits are a waste of time on MOTD ... never watch MOTD live, sometimes on sky+ and fast forward thru the waffle ....
  • Options
    I think they are only allowed to show so much actual action so need the pundits to pad the programmes out.

Pundits are a necessary evil in that one cannot assume that EVERYBODY watching a national TV channel will have a detailed knowledge of the game. The problem as I see it is the inadequacy of the pundits chosen and the vacuuousness of the content eg the Greenwood woman on the Football League Show.

Cricket has the likes of Geoff Boycott whose analysis is frequently educational even to those of us who like to kid ourselves we know something about the game having played and watched for decades. The pundits on football programmes are nowhere near that standard. We just have to suffer tits like Claridge...
  • Options
    I find the MOTD pundits allot les condisending than the Sky ones an most of them on MOTD i like. Apart from Robbie Earl he knows squat.
  • Options
    I remember when BBC Match of the Day just had Ken Wolstenholme as commentator.

And ITV The Big Match had Brian Moore as commentator, plus Jimmy Hill as pundit.

Ah, the good old days when we were lucky if the cameras came to The Valley once or twice only in a season.
    And it was in Black & White.
  • Options
    Gary Lineker - Legend.....Alan Shearer - Legend......all the rest can do one.

The funniest has to be Marcel Desailly. Hasnt got a clue.
  • Options
    Garth Crooks is dreadful. On MOTD 2 on Sunday he said John Terry has "balls of steel".
  • Options
    Gary Lineker - Legend.....Alan Shearer - Legend......all the rest can do one.

Meet these guys a few times at the bbc, decent enough but I am afraid was not overwhelmed by there incisive wit or punditary.
    Shearer seemed the more engaging of the two, and seemed happy to talk and chat, mind you seeing that he was in a press breifing it would have been a little difficult not to answer the questions .......

Probably one of the best things at working at the BBC you do get to see these 'heroes' 'pundits' 'experts'..... . Two people who did surprise me was Adrian Chiles and Max Mosley, Adrian Chiles seemed at his best in a small crowd/theatre on a one to one basis quite witty and less nervous than he appears, mind you can't stand him on MOTD..... he interviewed Steve McClaren did a good job. Mosley made a good stab at defending his actions on the libel case, despite the fact that the judge summing up stated.
    "I found that there was no evidence that the gathering on March 28 2008 was intended to be an enactment of Nazi behaviour or adoption of any of its attitudes. Nor was it in fact. I see no genuine basis at all for the suggestion that the participants mocked the victims of the Holocaust," Eady said.
    "There was bondage, beating and domination which seem to be typical of S&M behaviour.'
    He did not seemed the least perturbed that he was engaging in the activity, but aghast of the Nazi suggestion, seemed to think that he was defending the rights of the individual.... the millionaire individual that is that has access to highly paid QC's
    Although he was pulled up when a hack pipped up "Well your dad was the leader of the fascist movement In the UK Max" perhaps that is why he was so sensitive to it......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I remember when BBC Match of the Day just had Ken Wolstenholme as commentator.

And ITV The Big Match had Brian Moore as commentator, plus Jimmy Hill as pundit.

Ah, the good old days when we were lucky if the cameras came to The Valley once or twice only in a season.
    And it was in Black & White.

"During the war........"
    ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oi,watch it MoGGy .... you're not so young yourself ....!!

;o)