Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scouting report Keith Keane: Luton v Oxford

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
Went to Luton against Oxford, where the police made a god awful mess and managed to lose the initiative every time they were trying to irrelevantly take it. Pathetic display of policing.

Still anyway, two top sides in the conference and it was a poxy match. The last five minutes Luton scored two goals. One was by Keith Keane straight from a corner and it was a great delivery by him, would have been knocked in by a couple of Luton player's who'd taken good positions on the back post whatever. I've seen Keith Keane and really like him as a player, positionally excellent which he was last night but wasn't dominant like he can be. Kevin Nicholls is utterly past it even at this level now so Keane had a lot of work to do. In short he was not outstanding last night but he had a lot of work to do to cover chugger Nicholls and Oxford rarely broke through him or the middle. He won man of the match for Luton way before they scored.

In short not a great match to evaluate him, but he is a much more accomplished player than Semedo. He can take the initiative both defensively and offensively, he doesn't pick up the pieces like Semedo. If we were in either the champ, and definitely, in league one he would be an excellent signing on a free transfer. Especially if we were to pick up money on Semedo. Although his passing centrally is not outstanding it is efficent, Keane looks to pass forward and push on; he is not purely a plug in midfield who panics when offensive decisions have to be made. I for one hope the rumours are true and Parky is tracking him.

Comments

• didn't he get sent off?
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Went to Luton against Oxford, where the police made a god awful mess and managed to lose the initiative every time they were trying to irrelevantly take it. Pathetic display of policing.

Still anyway, two top sides in the conference and it was a poxy match. The last five minutes Luton scored two goals. One was by Keith Keane straight from a corner and it was a great delivery by him, would have been knocked in by a couple of Luton player's who'd taken good positions on the back post whatever. I've seen Keith Keane and really like him as a player, positionally excellent which he was last night but wasn't dominant like he can be. Kevin Nicholls is utterly past it even at this level now so Keane had a lot of work to do. In short he was not outstanding last night but he had a lot of work to do to cover chugger Nicholls and Oxford rarely broke through him or the middle. He won man of the match for Luton way before they scored.

In short not a great match to evaluate him, but he is a much more accomplished player than Semedo. He can take the initiative both defensively and offensively, he doesn't pick up the pieces like Semedo. If we were in either the champ, and definitely, in league one he would be an excellent signing on a free transfer. Especially if we were to pick up money on Semedo. Although his passing centrally is not outstanding it is efficent, Keane looks to pass forward and push on; he is not purely a plug in midfield who panics when offensive decisions have to be made. I for one hope the rumours are true and Parky is tracking him.

sorry but he's playing in the conference !!, how you can compare is beyond me....so you are saying if we go up we sell Semedo and then get this bloke on a free.....amazing
  • edited February 2010
    Make a straight comparison without any logic or thought basis! Amazing.

He's played in the champ and been effective in the champ. Seen him play at that level. He became club captain in 2008 in league one and kept his performances up when others were wilting, whilst being utilised all over the park. Last season he was excellent when played as a central midfielder in league two. So how you talk about something you clearly have no clue I know not why. Pricelessly free of thought or logic. Still I suppose Semedo played in Serie A, so he clearly has to be compared with that level.

Yes he was sent off, ridiculously so. Luton's a pie hole of a ground, when he scored from the corner he just stood arms aloft in front of the home support. He'd have been only a few yards from the home crowd. A couple of Luton players jumped on his back, he naturally went forward and the crowd swallowed himup. He got a booking for either celebrating with the crowd or inciting them. This from the ref who let go four studds up challenges without a booking, one of which was clearly late and aimed at following through.
  • As a recent ex-Luton player who played with Keane in the Champs & League One, Matt Spring will know all about him - not only Keane's ability but importantly his character too.

And character is what Parky says he's looking for in a player.
    I bet Springy has had a word.
  • I doubt Springy is having many words with Parky, Oggy ...

A) he's not getting picked himself
    B) he's hardly likely to recommend somebody else to be in front of him in the pecking order for a start on a Saturday!
  • [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]I doubt Springy is having many words with Parky, Oggy ...

A) he's not getting picked himself
    B) he's hardly likely to recommend somebody else to be in front of him in the pecking order for a start on a Saturday!

Fair points, Supa!
    But then, apart from perhaps a loan, the player wouldn't be signed at this point of the season anyway.

Spring's contract is up at the end of the season, so perhaps he'll move on.

But I was thinking back in the summer when it seemed likely that Bailey and others might have to be moved on for financial reasons, that's when words get spoken.
  • edited February 2010
    Going to Eastbourne v Luton today, will look out for him. If we don't go up we'll probably be looking to sign the better out of contract players in this league down to the BSP.

Edit: Forget that, he's banned for the game today after his sending off.
  • A real shame he's been banned. Might pop down to see him against Ebbsfleet on March 20, it'll give me a good chance to see Stavinrou as well - whom I've been impressed with by his energy when I saw him come on against Barnet.
  • edited February 2010
    From what I've been told Stavrinou has done well for Ebbsfleet, comfortable sitting in front of the defence and letting other players attack. Good work rate and tidy with his passing, his weaknesses have been his lack of strength and ability in the air. Pretty much what I've thought of him when I've seen him, except the physical weaknesses aren't so obvious at u18 level or in pre-season friendlies.

Being a lot less physical than for example Semedo means he'd have to make up for it in other ways. Will be interesting to see if he gets a pro contract, I'd think they'll have a good idea already, might just depend on if we get promoted or not. Stay down and he'd be a lot closer to the first team.

If you do go to that game would like to hear what you think of the two players.

Luton beat Eastbourne 1-0, should have scored more but made too many poor decisions and touches in and around the box, and when they did shoot they were poor shots. Probably no one on either team we'd be seriously looking at.
  • Stavrinou not even on the bench for Ebsfleet today.......reason?.
  • Sponsored links:

• No idea. Ebbsfleet site has him down as making 12 appearances for them, no yellow or red cards, so I'd guess he was injured. He's been a regular for them and couldn't have been suspended.
  • My guess is injury i went to their game on Tues where they lost but didnt play badly. Alex was one of the best players so my guess is injury.
  • Carl Jenkinson played for Welling today. Gave away an injury time penalty in a 1-1 draw.
  • mambo helped keep a clean sheet for staines v bromley today.

No tuna but he played for our U18s friday.

Wasn't at the match so no idea how he did.
  • Harry Pell scored a 90th minute equaliser for Hastings Utd against Sutton to make it 2-2. Must be his first goal in senior football.