Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pay as you go

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
Mansfield Town came up with an idea (not brand new because I'd heard of a few restaraunts doing this) to get the crowds coming in and tripled their normal average gate.
They told the people of Mansfield they could pay anything they liked to watch the game and I heard reports of people paying as little as 25p and others paying upto £7.
The normal ticket price being £16.
Mansfield linky thingy

Do you think it would be good for us to try this to boost our gates, and get more new fans coming for next season?
How would you feel, being a season ticket holder, that fans could get in for whatever they wanted?
Myself, I think it could be good for the ground to be full again and create a good atmosphere for our run in. I wouldn't feel aggreived at all if it made the Valley an intimidating place for other teams to play in whilst obviously boosting morale, both for the players and us fans.
What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    on the basis that we'll bring 5k to boro for a live game on telly when it's a freebie coach journey BUT still have to pay match ticket food etc making a saving of (i'm guessing) £18-£20 on travel costs and can only muster 50-100 for a non freebie i think we'd have a lot of 25p's or whatever the minimum cost of entering our ground would be
    more people to booooo, so more excuses for a shit performance
    and basically more people to get in the way of the regulars
    and never forget people= c***s until proven otherwise
    so it's a no from me
  • Options
    I'm sure season ticket holders would be delighted!

As oooahh says, people are generally dreadful and the kind of person that would be prepared to pay 25p to watch the match would probably not be a great supporter and probably won't lavish their riches in the club shop or bar either.
  • Options
    the last thing we need is a load of freeloaders chanting, 'what a waste of money' as stockports 3rd goal goes in!
  • Options
    BBC said people paid between 3p and £50!
  • Options
    I think it's a great idea - and i work in marketing.

Not for every game, but just one game per season to get the crowds to turn up. Might come and bite you on the 4rse though if its a really crud performance and it turns off a load of potential new fans..
  • Options
    Maybe we should just charge children £1 to get in.

I'm sure someone could think up a catchy name for that sort of promotion but even if we did Charlton would never try it.

Or £49 season tickets for kids. Bet they wouldn't even consider that idea.

Or free tickets for Schools, youth football teams etc. That's the trouble with Charlton, no imagination.
  • Options
    how about you pay on the way out?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Maybe we should just charge children £1 to get in.

I'm sure someone could think up a catchy name for that sort of promotion but even if we did Charlton would never try it.

Or free tickets for Schools, youth football teams etc. That's the trouble with Charlton, no imagination.

Well Henry, you have got me thinking there and my best effort so far is:
    Kids for a 100 pence.
    I think it is catchy and leaves no doubt as to what it is.

Beat that people !!!
  • Options
    Like it but needs to be a bit more snappy if you don't mind me saying.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Maybe we should just charge children £1 to get in.

Well Henry, you have got me thinking there and my best effort so far is:
    Kids for a 100 pence.
    I think it is catchy and leaves no doubt as to what it is.

Beat that people !!!
    each kid for a squid?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    spend a pound come to our ground
  • Options
    it's a Sov, Gov. OK, maybe not.

20 bob to exercise your gob

Take the dustbin lids, it's only a quid
  • Options
    Boo the kids, only a quid.
  • Options
    a pound from your bank, to watch a pile of ......
  • Options
    Good idea in theory, but Mansfield lost the match!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]I think it's a great idea - and i work in marketing.

Not for every game, but just one game per season to get the crowds to turn up. Might come and bite you on the 4rse though if its a really crud performance and it turns off a load of potential new fans..

Should that be "I think it's a great idea - but i work in marketing."?
  • Options
    Do it for a pre-season friendly so as not to upset us season ticket holders.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Do it for a pre-season friendly so as not to upset us season ticket holders.
    or even a cup game?
  • Options
    I think if they trialed it for one game it would not upset season ticket holders too much. Maybe minimum spend is £1 per ticket. Would certainly work imho for a Tuesday night game when we will be lucky to get 15000
  • Options
    Why not cut out the gimmicks and just offer season ticket holders a free child ticket for certain lower profile games throughout the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why not a swop shop ive got a loft full of shabby gear i need to off load or like harvest festival at school bring some old dented tins and put in a box on the way in..........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]I think if they trialed it for one game it would not upset season ticket holders too much. Maybe minimum spend is £1 per ticket. Would certainly work imho for a Tuesday night game when we will be lucky to get 15000

Lucky to get 15000.

That's the flaw in this plan.

Mansfield get under 3,000. They got over 7k for the offer game.

We have 10400 ST holders so we have another 3 or 4 paying fans (including aways) in a gate of 15,000.

Offering a pay what you like would be bastardising our existing match day payers.

Kid for a pound works as it brings in adults paying more.
  • Options
    Fair Point, kids for a quid then seems the better idea.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]kids for a quid

That's it. Why didn't any of your other slackers come up with that?
  • Options
    Seems so obvious now.... I feel so foolish. :o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Seems so obvious now.... I feel so foolish. :o)

You're fired!
  • Options
    how about goats for a groat?

oh not that sort of kid
  • Options
    Hounds for a pound - a bring your dog along day

Lady for a lady - bring your wife along for a fiver

Tenor for a tenner - discounted rates for opera singers
  • Options
    score for a score

a snappy piece of marketing to attract the thriving local drug community
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Tenor for a tenner - discounted rates for opera singers

I support this. No longer will our songs be out of tune