Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PC Help

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
I want to transfer files from my PC to my laptop. I've used an ethernet cable to connect the laptop to the modem (to which the PC is connected) but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Any other ideas?

Comments

• Use the ethernet cable to connect the pc to the laptop. Or create a network.
  • if both machines are connected to a hub/router

find out the ip address of the machine with your files

map a drive on the other machine to (for example) \\192.168.0.3\c$

Ensure you are logged on to both machines with the same id and password with administrator priveleges, or when prompted use the admin user name and password when you map the drive

this assuming you have
  • I already have a network and I've just connected the laptop to it. Now how do I transfer files? I suppose I do it from the PC.

I could also try your first idea when the commentary finishes because to connect the ethernet cable to the PC I have to disconnect the modem.
  • Buy a cheap usb stick and copy it that way.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]Buy a cheap usb stick and copy it that way.

That's exactly what I thought!
  • edited February 2010
    have you tried what I said? are they connected to a router/hub or not?

if you dont use the ip address method i mentioned it can be done via a peer to peer network

what os are you using?

have you shared a folder?

can you browse the other computer using network neighbourhood?

unless you can get them on the same network via a router with several connections (a hub) a usb stick would be the best idea
  • What os you using...?