Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peter Shirtliff on Charlton

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
From the Swindon Advertiser:

“OH yeah, definitely,” replied Swindon assistant manager Peter Shirtliff, with a wide smile and glint in his eye.

Town’s number two was responding to whether he wanted to get one over former club Charlton tomorrow when the sides meet at the County Ground.

However, Shirtliff’s motivation is not based purely on beating his former players, but also making up for a feeling of two points dropped from the reverse fixture on Boxing Day.

On that occasion Swindon failed to see off the nine-man Addicks, conceding a 95th-minute equaliser, and while Shirtliff explained that result is now far behind them, he is keen to secure all three points this time.

“We were disappointed to come away from Charlton on Boxing Day with a draw, as the game panned out with the players getting sent off and things like that,” said the 48-year-old.

“But you would have probably taken a point before the game.

“It was a situation where we had a very good chance to take three points and we didn’t.

“But once that’s gone it’s dismissed and we move on to the next game.

“There’s no point in dwelling on what’s happened because it’s finished.

“But we will approach the game as we have done with every other match this season and try to win it.

“Charlton play some good football and have got some good players for this level, but hopefully we can get the right result.”

Shirtliff spent three years in the late 1980s at the heart of Charlton’s defence, making more than 120 appearances in the process, and admits it was a memorable time.

But the former centre-half is surprised about how far their stock has fallen over the last three years since top flight relegation.

“You tend to look for your older clubs, and I enjoyed three good years at Charlton under Lennie Lawrence in the old first division.

“It was a nice time,” he told the Swindon Advertiser.

“Obviously things have gone a little bit downhill since then, but they are a force in this league and will be looking for promotion just like we are.

“They will have ambitions of certainly making the play-offs, if not challenging for the top two.

“They were an established Premier League club when Alan Curbishley was manager, and then it was strange how events unfolded when he left the club.

“There suddenly seemed to be a downward spiral which, once you are on that, takes some stopping.

“Of course they now find themselves in League One and it is a very difficult division to get out of, as Leeds have seen.

“Big clubs come into League One as a result of falling out of higher levels, because of financial problems or whatever.

“I am surprised to see them in this position, but nobody is immune from it.”

Comments

• edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]“

There suddenly seemed to be a downward spiral which, once you are on that, takes some stopping.

That's what we have to break ........at all levels in the club.
    Not just manager and players. Supporters too.

It's a mindset.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]They were an established Premier League club when Alan Curbishley was manager, and then it was strange how events unfolded when he left the club.
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]They were an established Premier League club when Alan Curbishley was manager, and then it was strange how events unfolded when he left the club.

He's got a point :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]“

There suddenly seemed to be a downward spiral which, once you are on that, takes some stopping.

That's what we have to break ........at all levels in the club.
    Not just manager and players. Supporters too.

It's a mindset.
    No, it's all Parky's fault. Oh and Andrew Mills for his bad signings.
  • People say the premiership is the toughest league in the world, it is also said the championship is extrememly difficult to get out of and as PS says here League 1 is a very difficult divison to get out of. So wherever you are you have to be up for the fight for 9 months not the first few months. I wonder if league 2 is difficult to get out of? Rochdale fans!
  • “Big clubs come into League One as a result of falling out of higher levels, because of financial problems or whatever."

Bigger clubs. Much bigger clubs than us have fallen into this league. Leeds, Forest, Wednesday...

The difference being that their fans get behind the team every week and don't have idiots booing their players and manager off at half time. Some of the fans who did that could do with having a read of Lennie Lawrence's book to remind themselves that our club has seen much darker periods than the last few years and came through it because of the spirit and togetherness of the the club fans.
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]“Big clubs come into League One as a result of falling out of higher levels, because of financial problems or whatever."

Bigger clubs. Much bigger clubs than us have fallen into this league. Leeds, Forest, Wednesday...

The difference being that their fans get behind the team every week and don't have idiots booing their players and manager off at half time. Some of the fans who did that could do with having a read of Lennie Lawrence's book to remind themselves that our club has seen much darker periods than the last few years and came through it because of the spirit and togetherness of the the club fans.

Agreed.

The surprising thing for me is the age of some of the fans booing. 50+ who you would have thought have seen the worst times you refer to.

I can sort of understand, whilst disagreeing with it, under 25s or so booing because they got used to supporting a club on the up under Curbishley only to see the whole edifice come crashing down.

Those 50 plus fans should know better though in my opinion.
  • man city, were in this league not that long ago but they got 30 to 40k week in week out, Wigan and Hull and Stoke were down here not that long ago either its not impossible to think we could be back in the prem in a few years but we need full backing on and off the pitch, we really need and i know this has been said hundreds of time but make the valley rock again, we need to support our team intermadate the oppo make clubs not look forward to comming here. at the mo, if we dont score in the first 15mins the atmosphere drops and it starts getting anxious and negative and thus letting and no disrespect smaller clubs play football and make us look like idiots, look at the games when the atmosphere has been great and the results we got.. Lets have a fans day, drop the prices fill the valley all adult tickets a fiver, kids for a kid like the old days, get the opera singer for before kick off, bit of half time entertainment, Big Dave playing up lifting positive songs that get people in a good mood.. just lift the spirits, play highlights of briliant home games on the screen, the west ham match, playoff final both of them, the portsmouth match anything just get the place up. Walking to the ground for the leyton orient game i over heard loads of people saying " i dont fancey tonight" "should have stayed at home" if people are like this before the game has even started what use is it? if you get to your seat all ready negative and down you aint gonna suddenly be behind the team 100%, i know the players are responsible, if were playing nice football and winning week in week out then people would be positive but as i said from the start, its on and off the pitch we need to come together and get behind the lads.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]“Big clubs come into League One as a result of falling out of higher levels, because of financial problems or whatever."

Agreed.

The surprising thing for me is the age of some of the fans booing. 50+ who you would have thought have seen the worst times you refer to.

I can sort of understand, whilst disagreeing with it, under 25s or so booing because they got used to supporting a club on the up under Curbishley only to see the whole edifice come crashing down.

Those 50 plus fans should know better though in my opinion.

I agree. I am 22 and am not old enough to remember seeing Lawrence at Charlton (my first match was 1992 under Curbs and Gritt) but I still know the history of our club before that (mainly thanks to my Dad!) and realise where we have come from and that we've seen darker days. Even though I'm relatively young, most of my time spent watching Charlton has been in Division 1 (The Championship) - most of it at mid-table so I wouldn't say I expect success at all! I think all fans should know better and owe it to themselves to learn a bit more about the history of their club. Curb's didn't build us up overnight, it took years to get us promoted and several ups and downs, e.g defeat in the Playoffs to Palace, followed by a mid-table season, etc. It took him time to get it right and once he did we stayed there. It may take time for Parkinson to get it right as well and I hope the fans get behind him. At the start of the season I would have settled for the Playoffs as a realistic target. We performed above expectations at the start of the season and are probably starting to find our level in this league. Every team has a blip - Norwich will have one and Leeds are in one now a bit too. There's still a long way to go so lets get behind the team, whatever happens. Since when were the Playoffs deemed a failure?!

Maybe some fans just became a bit spoilt with top flight football and have adopted that way of thinking. Perhaps it's just become fashionable to boo? Also sometimes I think we just need to accept that the other side were the better team. I would say though that some players clearly struggle to cope with the pressure and expectation from the fans at The Valley.
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Those 50 plus fans should know better though in my opinion.

probably these 'fans' gave up quite easily on charlton in the early 80's and never made it to selhurst or upton park keeping themselves immune for the bad times. only coming back in better circumstances and with through some very hard work from the club to do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hoping I can link up with him tomorrow to say hello.
  • @ Red Robin

Good post mate

nice one

and '92 meant you were 4 too eh!!!

hahaha hope you made the first game back at the Valley then too
  • [cite]Posted By: PhoenixSiv[/cite]@ Red Robin

Good post mate

nice one

and '92 meant you were 4 too eh!!!

hahaha hope you made the first game back at the Valley then too

Funnily enough that was my first ever game! Might still have the Back to The Valley kids shirt somewhere too!
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]“Big clubs come into League One as a result of falling out of higher levels, because of financial problems or whatever."

When I lived in sheffield used to watch wednesday alot, and saw most their home games when they were in league one and the atmosphere was NOT behind the team, unless ultimate gallows humour, booing and abusing your own management team/players is gettin behind yourn team. Infact it was a worse atmosphere than the one we've had at the Valley the last few years.

A said fact of life is unless we get promoted from this division the atmosphere will just get worse and worse until we find we have crowds of about 8k and we become a league one size, all the time we are a 'bigger' club in a 'smaller' division it will be like this we as fans expect far far too much, the true sad fact is before this season kicked off if you said we'd be where we are having only lost 3 times most fans would have laughed at you for being in the dillisional rose tinted brigade, now these same fans are claiming we should be top not to have dropped a single point and slating the team for being way above where these 'fans' thought we'd be
  • I'm not so sure - I agree that crowds will drop but hopefully those that remain will be the hard core who are willing to support the club through thick and thin. Maybe we need a few years in the wilderness (assuming the club survives) to get rid of this fickle following. I'm ashamed of the fact that the players would rather play away from the Valley than at home, if it's true, and I don't even go that often.
  • edited February 2010
    If you focus on the negative, you just get more negative.
    It's a downward spiral - a viscious circle that drives the energy down.

It's hard for anyone to get motivated when the atmosphere is bad.
    It just dumbs everything down.

That's why we need to talk things up again!
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]If you focus on the negative, you just get more negative.
    It's a downward spiral - a viscious circle that drives the energy down.

It's hard for anyone to get motivated when the atmosphere is bad.
    It just dumbs everything down.

That's why we need to talk things up again!

Oggy....I couldn't possibly agree with you more.
    We should be that way from the tea lady at Sparrows Lane to the young school kid coming through The Valley turnstiles for the very first time.
    It's got 'nothing' and I mean 'nothing' to do with rose coloured spectecles (as some would have you believe) but 'everything' to do with positive support/thought.
    There are times to talk about doom and gloom (and we've had plenty of totally justifiable reason to have heard plenty of it in recent times)...........but third in the table with only three losses by mid February aint one of 'em!
    Sure we could be doing better and we could have better players....but in living memory hasn't that always been the case.
    Moaners and groaners can take to the stage once (and if) the promotion battle is lost...until then everyone should just stay POSITIVE!
    I'm going to mention a couple of names here, Large and DFT (there are others of course)...fer Christ's sake stop bellyaching and preaching nothing but gloom and looming disaster...like I said if that happens then is the time to analyse what took place and have a dig....and with total justification.
    Now isn't the right time....what we need right now, during the run in, is unity from top to bottom.
  • edited February 2010
    it's quite easy to blame the fans again and focus on negativity but i don't think they are the reason for why we haven't seen a good performance from the players this season still.otherwise why then didn't we see them raise their game when the fans were really behind them like at walsall (heavy pitch) or swindon (well they beat leeds).we look for excuses everywhere and hope that if we give positive thoughts then everything will be ok.

i think parky has asembled a good squad and this is alone is the reason that we find ourselvs in third spot.
  • Im with Oggy!!

Ive been watching a load of charlton vids today and some deon burton clips form his sheff weds days ...

The commentary dropped the moment before Bailey scored last night and by the time I got the thing working we were level.. Result!!!!

We arent playing well yet we did well against Swindon and I think Parks would have taken a point at kick off, they had the bloke who won player of the month and 6 games at home on the spin or something and beating leeds... thats a pretty good resume.....

threadkiller, did you say havnt seen a good perfromance this season.....

FS man waht was 5-1 against dons.... those several 4's we got on the road at the beginning of the season.... going to leeds and looking the most likely .... even scappier dirty wins like brentford away.....

Keep battling, 2 wins on the spin and the dream will be alive again....

DONT LOSE FAITH, I know its hard, but we just got a last minute draw that will feel like a win to the players if we can take that on and get an early goal next game we are likely for the points.... lots more psychology down here in league one

COME ON YOU REDS!!!
  • i am sure that there has been a good performance somewhere this season, but funnily enough don't think that it was mkdons where the scoreline was somewhat flattering to say the least

keep the faith i agree but it can't just be blind faith.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well we havnt got much else according to you, you miserable c(nt.....

; )