Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Not wanting to hijack the What Manager thread

People have stated what a good job he has done with resources etc.I really want Parky to do well as I suggested him when curbs left,but has he really done that great,you could put forward a argument with less resources for Danny Wilson,Kenny Jackett.Also given the possibility we dont go up and the mass exodus next season,I think we would then see what he is really made of.

DISCUSS PLEASE

Comments

• in answer to the first part of your question mate No i dont thinki he has done a great job, i cant forget last season i do hold him patially accountable for our relegation and i do not think he has done a bad job only losing 3 times so far is a good effort but IMO he has been very predictable in his subs and therefore we are predictable with no real plan 2
  • I personally think he has done very well, at the start of the season alot of us would have been happy with 3rd in the league. especially with the lack of funds, so has made some decent free trasnfers & loans. I am happy with Parky in charge anyways and hope he can take us to the championship this season although it is looking a bit of an uphill battle of late, earlier on in the season had doubts over his tactics? but then in some games he has shown that he can change a game although there will still be question marks
  • I cant help think that when Parky took the job we didnt get a fresh start because he was with us under Pardew. Parky comes across as a likeable person but you need more than that to be a winner, maybe its not fair to judge halfway through a job and we need to wait till May, if we fail of course his tactical failings will be highlighted. I do feel overall that he has a very ample group of players at his disposal that should easily get out of league 1 and cant help thinking that they just need managing properly.
  • edited February 2010
    He is partly culpable for not saving us form relegation last season, but I think a major factor was not so much appointing Parky but more the fact that we appointed from within instead of getting someone fresh to the club in, that might have given us a better chance of overturning the stinking rot that pardew had left in his malodorous wake.

Anyway he has done very well so far this season, exceeding many pre-season fears, and we are actively involved in the promotion race. He has done his best to get rid of the disruptive and/or expensive players from the squad, and has brought strong characters who are at least as good footballers as we could realistically expect given that he has not been able to actually buy a single player for over a year and that they are coming to a Division 3 club.

At the end of last season, many thought might struggle to get near the top this season, but after some highs and lows we are still right up in the mix. We all know the importance of getting promotion this season, that doesn't mean it is our divine right to walk the league though.
  • I think he has down very well..... I fully lay the balme for the relgation at that f*cker Pardews door, he had us getting ripped apart and looking awful, total collapse of spirit having spet every last penny the club had.....

Parky came in and over time sorted out the mess... he then hit a great patch where the team spirit was amazing and we were tearing teams apart, that kind of form is always hard to maintain, as well as the ineivtable droping and changing of players affecting things in the dressing room...

I would have taken staying up in league one after last season so I am very happy and a bit surprised we are where we are....
  • No question in my mind he is the man to take us forward. Our problem is that we need it to be immediate for both our financial situation (which imho is why the fans are so quick to ponder this question, they realise the importance of this year) and our squad. With the vast majority out of contract we will have a substantially weeker squad to go for promotion next year.

He is moulding a fighting character in a charlton squad that has not been seen in a long time the likes of richardson, llera, dailly and burton all have gave me some pride back in my side. I know some mentioned are not the greatest footballers but i dont feel cheated by them when they leave the pitch like could be aimed at players in the past. I know this set of lads give it there all and if they come up short its not for the want of trying.

As Murray has said he works as if every penny was his own. I look at what he has added to the squad by spending nothing and i think he has done very well.

Fact is we have lost 3 games all season at the start we would have took it. Yes our form lately has been very dismal and we have let a good position slip away but there is a long way to go yet and a win saturday, watch how this board changes come monday. There will be very little questioning parky (if we win).

We need to have a little faith and i'm sure this side will come good again.

Common parky and team prove me right COYR
  • You can't really use the "Swindon/Millwall etc have less resources" arguement. Just like when we came sown from the Prem, we are a club set up in many ways for the league above (though of course wage budget comes down etc). Teams like Swindon are set up as steady League One clubs that aim for promotion, but it's really a bonus to a good season. They aren't under serious pressure to be promoted, financially, from the board or fans.

At Charlton (and Norwich and Leeds) we must be promoted if we are to keep
    our best players and not have to rebuild again in the summer. If Swindon go up they may lose a star player or two, but they don't have to restructre the entire wage budget or the club itself.

Charlton and clubs like Swindon are in two very different situations. One is a club with a Championship wage bill, Premier League stadium and academy to maintain etc. Parky had to bring in almost a new defence and strikeforce. Clubs like Swindon just have to try and slowly progress each year adding more qualty when they can, rather than
    building a new squad in one summer. We were lucky to keep the midfielders we did as.

I also think the importance and difficulty in building a team spirit was underestimated last season and even now. Without it, good players become poor players, but with it, a team of average players make a good team. Something Curbishley did but only Parky has done since he left. Room for improvement yes but we're no
    longer moving backwards while we have a chance of promotion.