Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Not happy

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
My dog is 16 years, 11 months, 8 days old today, she had a stroke a week ago but not recovered sufficiently so I have to have her put down in an hour, feeling a bit shit at the moment.

Comments

• thats shit mate, but that is a pretty good age for a dog!
  • Sincere sympathies Kap10
  • I know how you feel Kap,i've had to do it with a couple of cats in the past they were both about 19yrs old.

Sincere sympathies also.
  • Practicly 17 years old...fantastic!
    Just think of the great times you had together Kap....at 17 the poor old thing had probably had enough of life anyway and your's and the vets decision is no doubt the right one.
    Had to do it myself with my beloved bloodhound Watson some years back............that final look they give you is gut wrenching isn't it.....I'm sure he knew and was saying goodbye.........I know I was.
  • Sorry to read that its not nice at all, I had to have mine put to sleep a few months ago, lets hope your vets are more sympathetic than mine
  • Vet was great, she left a nice wee over my trousers as a parting gift. Yes 17 or nearly is a great age, still gonna miss her. Thanks for yoyr thoughts. See you later - i'll be the one in the Upper West with tear tracks on his cheeks.
  • Sad times Kap.

Man's best friend gives you loads of great memories though I guess...
  • Sorry to hear your news Kapl..... when ours was ill last year it reduced the the family to tears ( he had a compounded slipped disc ) and we had lapsed our insurance because of the cost and age (14)..... a credit card payment later, and a good vet, he recovered, against all predictions. I dread to think how my wife will react when his day's are finally over,as others have posted just think of the good times she has given you. A lot of negative unfair news about dogs these days, mine was a rescue and has never harmed a fly, only barked on a handful of occassions, think it is down to the owners.
  • I've only ever seen my dad cry once - when we had our irish wolfhound of 18 put to sleep

it's like losing a relative and I'll never forget her

I feel your pain!
  • Sorry to hear that Kap, been there and it is heartbreaking.
  • Sponsored links:

• *awaits RIP thread*
  • This kind of thing is heartbreaking - you have my sympathies.
  • You often don't realise how much they've become part of your life and/or family until this happens. Remember the many happy days, good luck.
  • Kap 10 sorry to hear of your loss. I have had to say 'gooodbye' to 2 German Shepherds over the last few years, one of them was only 8 years old, the other was 12 so not too bad.
    Its the hardest thing to do, and tbh I didnt cope very well but stayed with them both until the end and then cried like a child for ages. You will always carry the fun moments with you and look back and smile, your memories will help you through and time will heal......i wish you well.
    I must be a glutton for puishment as I now have 5 German Sepherds all of whom work and show. TBH wouldn't be without them, but dreading the time when once again the missus and I have to say goodbye to them.....lets hope its may years to come yet though!
    Good luck to you.
  • Kap, sorry to hear this.
    Had 2 Labs over the years, you can't help getting too attached to them.
    The vet was as nice as he could be, but still heart churning.
    Chin up mate.
  • Thanks guys. Today has been about memories, one that I am sure you'll enjoy, is when I was at my brothers and we had kept her in my company Mercedes while my brother and I wacked golf balls in his garden, when we got back to the car, she had chewed through the seat belt and ripped off the leather upholstery- £400 worth of damage, that taught me not to leave her in the car in full view of me enjoying myself. Lots of good memories.