Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Palace deducted 10 points

BBC just announced that Crystal Palace have been deducted 10 points by the Football League after going into administration on Monday. This should be an interesting twist to the Championship relegation battle.

Comments

• "Periscope depth number 1"
  • edited January 2010
    Only 10, that's a shame!
  • is that Richard Murray on the left?
  • I feel sorry for them! i really do! Rather see them fail as a team playing football than financial problems!
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]is that Richard Murray on the left?
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]facepalm2.jpg

Yes and Steve Waggott on the right.
  • nothing to do with Palace, but the penalty for going into admin should be harsher - more points deducted and repeated the following season too
  • Why were Bournemouth deducted 15? Was that before new rules?

Anyone found any decent odds on Palace to go down yet?
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]nothing to do with Palace, but the penalty for going into admin should be harsher - more points deducted and repeated the following season too

Will you be saying that next season if we go into admin?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]nothing to do with Palace, but the penalty for going into admin should be harsher - more points deducted and repeated the following season too

Will you be saying that next season if we go into admin?
    Yep, the rules need to be harsher.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]nothing to do with Palace, but the penalty for going into admin should be harsher - more points deducted and repeated the following season too

I have to agree. It is entirely possible that Palace, despite the financial disaster that Tangoman had presided over, can find a new buyer, wipe out the debt, avoid relegation and end up in a much better position financially than clubs who have spent within there means or whos benefactors have been able to fund any shortfall.

Take Southampton for example. They are pretty much the only club in Division One that has money available to buy players. Their ten points deduction may not be enough to stop them making the play offs and a strong contender for promotion.

I think that there should be a 10 point deduction plus a mandatory relegation built in so if a club is relegated by dint of their points total at the end of the season (after the 10 points is deducted), they should be relegated a further division. If they survive the drop (after 10 points has been deducted) they are relegated to the division below.

Thus in Southamptons case last season, they would have been playing this season in Div 2.

Why is this important? Well it is going to help to deter clubs from spending beyond their means.

Another thing that might be needed is a cap on wages so that there is a permanent minimum solvancy ratio maintained. Say wages cannot be more than 70% of turnover. You could allow this to be higher only if investors bonded additional funds that were always available to meet the additional wages costs. You could also require clubs to show that they have contingency arrangements to ensure that they can manage wages after relegation at the agreed level. They would then be forced into shorter contracts for players or drop down clauses.

That would go some way to stopping this madness over players wages and ensure that a true playing field in set with clubs operating at a level commensurate with their resources and the result will be less adminstrations
  • I heard from my palars Cousin called me up the other day, first saying could be possible further 7 points deducted, why would this be?

I also made a two way bet of £20 he will give me if charlton go up & Palars go down will give me another £20. IF they stay up i will give him £20 & if we stay down another £20, if that makes sense lol so maybe that we both dont pay out either but i think thats a good bet what do you reckon?
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Why were Bournemouth deducted 15? Was that before new rules?

Anyone found any decent odds on Palace to go down yet?

Save yourself some money, and find one offering good odds on staying up, you know it makes sense. ;)
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I think that there should be a 10 point deduction plus a mandatory relegation built in so if a club is relegated by dint of their points total at the end of the season (after the 10 points is deducted), they should be relegated a further division. If they survive the drop (after 10 points has been deducted) they are relegated to the division below.

Thus in Southamptons case last season, they would have been playing this season in Div 2.
    that's a decent idea, you have to be careful that the club aren't in a position where they have nothing to play for. I would opt for 15 points current season and next - and if they would've been relegated without the points deduction then drop the extra division.

PS obviously if we go into admininstration, then I'd be happy for the penalty to be light - self-interest and all that, but doesn't affect the argument.
  • I didn't know that Star Trek was set in the Palace boardroom. Amazing.
  • I reckon we should wipe the slate clean, especially if it looks like we are getting a play off spot.
    Who thinks we could win the play offs?
    10 points off or the agony of losing in the play offs?
  • Pity I don't bet. I was telling anyone who'd listen to me that Hull, Palace and Stockport were all going down. Two of them weren't big surprises, but there were decent odds on the treble.