Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

the problem is

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
the balance of the team isn't right and hasn't really been all season.

1) We have no left side - Bailey/Shelvey/Racon have fllled this role between them this season and it has worked on some occaisons but lately has shown that we lack a natural left sided player.

2) We are a one trick pony - beacause of the lack of a left wnger all our attacks come though Lloyd Sam and probably the reason why he gets the flack he does as he is doing the work of two players. He is a bit of an inigma at times and can be frustrating as he could do some much more........but without him we are f**ked.

3) We have no real midfield play maker - Racon and Shelvey are probably the best at carrying the ball but need to do more with it to create chances for the strikers. Shelvey is wasted out wide and needs to have a free role to pick up the ball and create things.

4) We have no natural striker - Burton maybe our top goalscorer and although he works very hard and is always there to hold the ball up he ain't a Hunt/mendonca or Killer. He lacks pace and is not a finisher of chances. Mooney is now getting too similar and wheras he was chasing the ball into channels he is now doing v.little different to Burton and can't have both in the side. Haven't seen enough of Mackenzie to say he will do anything different and now lost any patience I had with Dickson..........bringing on 2 players with just 3 goals between them is not a recipe for success

So.......a lot for parky to sort out with no money and v.little time before the transfer window shuts. There are players out there (was v impressed wih Orients no 24 on Monday - Adams, who is on loan from Leicester - how come they got him) and unless we sort out the left wing & striking positions we are doomed to be in this division for some years to come.

I predict we will finish in a play-off position (3rd or 4th) and as the play offs are mini cup ties then we know how good we are in cup ames, don't we ?

Comments

• Options
    1 - Our left side was not a problem with Youga in the team but is horrible with Basey. Best short term fix might be playing Omo or Richardson at full back because we're not likely to get a genuine left winger anytime soon.

2 - Agree we're massively overplaying his wing. If we adress point 1 we might find players all over the park have more spce and become more effective.

3 - Agree again. Bailey isn't a playmaker and Semedo is the steel so unless we go back to a 5 man midfield how do we accomodate a central playmaker?

4 - Maybe we have to go back to Burton on his own up front as our Plan A, at least until a couple of our key injuries return.
  • Options
    1- I think there's little doubt that we are in desperate need of an out and out left winger who will provide a similar service that Sam does on the right, but with the current situation we also must realise that we are where we are and that we must cope with what we have.
    2- I literally could not agree more about the predictability of our side at the moment. This has been a characteristic of most Charlton sides since the early Premiership years and the only way of adressing this problem is to have more versatility in our midfield/strikeforce, but the current financial situation makes this virtually an impossibility.
    3- I think that both Racon and especially Shelvey are playmakers in every sense of the word. As long as Shelvey is played in his most effective position (as has been extensviely discussed on here) then we should make the chances to score the goals necessary to see us promoted.
    4- Again I think in Burton we have a natural goalscorer. He has so much experience (and ability/effort) that at this level he is definately an asset NOT a liability. I can't say the same for Mooney who in my opinion is one-dimensional, and I think a decent partner for Burton should be the priority if we are to go up. You just have to look at Norwich, Leeds, Swindon and Colchester who all provide support for their main striker through contributions either from attacking midfielders or secondary strikers who facilitate the success of goalscorers.
  • Options
    Left side agree and it is the main reason for point 2.

Shelvey can do the playmaker job for us, but then who do you move out of position or drop? Racon doesn't have the range of passing but he starts moves as he likes to run with the ball. If we got a left winger in and a better striker to play with Burton, Shelvey's good passing and vision would be more obvious, he'd be using it a lot more.

We do need another option up front but might have to (at best) settle for Akpo or a similar type of player. Powerful and a nuisance rather than a regular goalscorer. Even then we might not get anyone in.

Still have the feeling we will get one or two players on loan before the deadline if not when the loan window reopens. Might need to get Yassin out even just on loan first though.
  • Options
    We certainly need playmaker. Someone who sets the tempo and is able to pick out the pass. Not sure Jonjo is that sort of player tbh and until we find that player I think it will be tough to dominate matches. Left side is weak. We need a striker who is capable of scoring 20 goals plus or promotion is a hard task for the players we have.
  • Options
    agree golfie
  • Options
    With Basey in the side or with Youga back, play McKenzie at left wing in a five man midfield. Burton as lone striker.

Elliot
    Richardson Dailly Llera Basey/Youga
    Sam Bailey Semedo Shelvey McKenzie
    Burton

subs, Racon Wagstaff Spring Omo/Solly Mooney Sodje Randolph
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    hopefully Racon is ready to come back in the middle, put Bailey back out wide, McKenzie upfront with Deon and pack Dickson off to the Gills, McKenzie can be wide too.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited January 2010
    Good post Golfie.

I really believe we need to get Racon back in and in a central role. He is, for me, one of the best players at the club and i would be gutted if he is sold.

Could sam not play a more central role behind the strikers? with a lack of width at the club surely the right move would be to focus on playing down the centre - the midfielders we have got are all very good on the ball and play this much more effectively imo.
    No good just lumping balls up to Burton & Mooney

I would have Racon Bailey Semedo across the middle with Sam/Shelvey just behind the strikers.
  • Options
    I think everyone is forgetting that Racon was in the middle for a very long time with Bailey out wide and it wasn't working. It wasn't till Bailey got brought into the middle did we start winning again. What makes everyone think that going back to the set up that didn't work last time will work again now. When Bailey came back into the middle everyong was saying he's got to stay there he's the best in that position so on and so forth. Now one defeat and it's get Racon back and sling bailey out wide where he was in the game a lot less
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I think everyone is forgetting that Racon was in the middle for a very long time with Bailey out wide and it wasn't working. It wasn't till Bailey got brought into the middle did we start winning again. What makes everyone think that going back to the set up that didn't work last time will work again now. When Bailey came back into the middle everyong was saying he's got to stay there he's the best in that position so on and so forth. Now one defeat and it's get Racon back and sling bailey out wide where he was in the game a lot less

But we also won our first 6 games with this system. It's clear Bailey needs to be in the middle, but so does Racon, and they both need to play. Difficult one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2010
    With four central midfielders as good as anything in this Division wasn't this window the time to sell one (if we could have got market value) in order to get a left winger primarily and/or striker in?

Racon would have been the most obvious "sacrifice" with his known refusal to play on the left even if it meant a place in the team a reasonable reason for doing so plus the fact that up until Monday we had been doing O K without him.

Probably too late to do anything now though.
  • Options
    Can't disagree with anything you say Golfie. I would go back to how we played at the start of the season, goals were less but we dominated teams and looked good. Racon in the middle meant we kept hold of the ball so much more and wore teams down.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]With four central midfielders as good as anything in this Division wasn't this window the time to sell one (if we could have got market value) in order to get a left winger primarily and/or striker in?

Racon would have been the most obvious "sacrifice" with his known refusal to play on the left even if it meant a place in the team a reasonable reason for doing so plus the fact that up until Monday we had been doing O K without him.

I know what you mean but was anyone interested in Racon AND willing to pay at least £500k or so? No point selling him for much less than that. Even then would the money be given to Parky?
  • Options
    I really think we are a decent left midfielder away from being the team we all hope we could be for the remainder of the season. Playing players not in their natural roles should only be a short term stop gap option not for a full campaign.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]With four central midfielders as good as anything in this Division wasn't this window the time to sell one (if we could have got market value) in order to get a left winger primarily and/or striker in?

I know what you mean but was anyone interested in Racon AND willing to pay at least £500k or so? No point selling him for much less than that. Even then would the money be given to Parky?

Bristol City were intersted in him but, following last night's result, they probably need a Centre Back more. That's a thought - do you think they'd pay £2m for Llera?
  • Options
    Well a lot of teams have probably has a look at him, other day Parky said there had been no enquiries for anyone. I think we'd have heard more speculation than we have if there was serious interest for our players.
  • Options
    I've said this some while back on another thread but, if we don't sign a left-sided player, we could do a lot worse than putting Lloyd Sam there. Even when playing on the right, he generally dribbles the ball with his left foot and crosses just as well after cutting inside as he does when he goes outside the defender.

I also like the idea of Sam playing centrally for a spell during games against packed defences - provided he attempts to take defenders on and dribble through. That would have been a decent option against Orient on Monday, especially when they were playing such a high back line early on in the game.
  • Options
    I like what you suggest, Dave.

With Sam on the left, it'd give him the freedom to sometimes cut inside, and attack on the floor the soft underbelly of centrebacks - or shoot.

Waggy could no doubt go right, with his pacy direct style - and he's not afraid to take a pop either.

Mooney had an ineffective, bit of a limp wristed game the other night and was duplicating much of what Burton might have done, instead of playing off the shoulder more. But overall Mooney has brought much to the team when he's played, but we could certainly use someone with pace alongside Burton - to me that's a perfect foil. But with Dicko not performing to expectations who do we put there ..... could in fact Waggy be our wild card for that position?
  • Options
    I'd certainly much prefer Sam on the left and Wagstaff on the right than the other way around. Sam looks a little more comfortable their and his style suits it more than Wagstaff's. Apart from the way Wagstaff can cut in and shoot obviously, but talking more about creating chances. In other games, as long as Youga is behind him, Basey could do a job there. With McKenzie as well we have a few options on the left. Just none of them are exactly what we'd like.

Would still like to see McKenzie alongside Burton. Hard to tell just how slow/quick he is at the moment, he did have pace back when playing for Coventry/Norwich didn't he?
  • Options
    The problem is heart and communication. This team doesnt talk to each other enough out on the pitch and everybody plays for themselves. Indeed our left midfield position is a problem and we dont have a natural left winger. Wagstaff could be the answer this season on the left, but it will be asking a lot from a young player. I would like to see Racon come back into side and slide Bailey to the left with Racon and Semedo in the central and Sam on the right. Thats out best midfield!!!