Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

0.1% Growth!

13»

Comments

• Options
    Of course they've done everything possible to get us out of recession - at least it's stopped shrinking for now - point is whether we can grow the country out of trouble with jobs, sales, exports and opportunities or are we looking at a double dip. Bit like life under Pardew ... I reckon we won't be in this league for long but which way?

I just hope that whatever the colour of government they find a way to sell off the bank shares at a profit to clear some of the national debt, get the trains working without throwing even more money at them, sort out the public services and generally keep global businesses coming in...

Most of all I hope all on this board get through these times.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I once had a debate with someone in the LP about using private health care - its all very well having principals but at the time the waiting list was 2 years, so I borrowed the money and went private. Same applies to Education not that I am defending Abbot, state schools were such a state when I was younger and probably are now, thanks to replacing grammar schools with something that was worse?

As for the economy here's hoping we produce something the Chinese want...

I wonder also has our over reliance on the Finance sector kept the pound high and stopped us being competitive exports wise?

:)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Someone called 'Chizz' compared the Falklands war with the wars currently happening in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    The Falklands war was started by General Galtieri of Argentina. He was a fascist dictator with many problems in his homeland. So he decided to revive Argentina's claim to the Falklands, with a military invasion. This he hoped would unite his country behind him.
    We (Britain) did not start that war. British forces led by Mrs Thatcher, reclaimed the islands. Her actions were completely justified and i thank her for them.

Another Thatcher screw-up.

In a cost saving move she took the Royal Naval ship that was defending the Falklands away leaving Galtieri to try his luck and with nothing and no one to stop him, why not.

A bit like leaving your front door wide open and then complaining about thieves and then acting the hero afterwards. She then ordered the Belgrano to be torpedoed while negotiations were on going, a supine media then allowed Thatcher to milk it for all iy was worth, but bear in mind that a lot of brave people on both sides died in a very avoidable war.

The Falklands war was in response to a direct act of aggression against British citizens.

Britain's part in the Afghan and Iraq conflicts is far more morally dubious as at the time of both invasions Britain had not been subject to Islamic terrorist attack which was the american justification.

Two very different scenarios and even if "the front door was left open" as you put it theft is still against the law and deserving of punishment. Margaret Thatcher meted that punishment.

Where I do agree with you though is in the tragic loss of life (both British and Argentinian) which need not have happened had Galtieri not invaded.
  • Options
    No Thatcher didn't Len our Armed Forces did. The myth of the 'blessed Margaret' lives on. Strewth!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]No Thatcher didn't Len our Armed Forces did. The myth of the 'blessed Margaret' lives on. Strewth!!!

Yes obviously our Armed Forces actually did the nitty gritty just as they did in World War 2 yet people say Churchill led us to victory in World War 2. Thatcher reclaimed the Falklands in the same way.

T'was ever thus that politicians get the OBE (Other Buggers' Efforts) awards and not exclusive to Thatcher.

I am no uncritical admirer of Margaret Thatcher, far from it in fact although you and others may not believe that, but when it came to the Falklands she did what had to be done.
  • Options
    Its all down to me that we are now out of recession, I started my new job on the day the figures were released, dont rush to thank me ta
  • Options
    Back to the topic 0.1% growth.... well it seems to be an' economic fact ', but I am far from convinced that we are on the road to recovery, or that the true picture to most people is more positive.

The recent economic boost has been generated by the goverment to kick start the economy apparently, but to me it seems a false dawn!. Is education, the health service, and unemployment really better. Not from where I am standing, My sons are struggling for work in the building game, I have had to wait 6 months for keyhole surgery on the NHS, and my wife teaches . Bit like house prices that have risen , Oh yeah!..... and who do you know that has moved in the past year. Just seen a report that prices have increased and are expected to be 10 per cent higher than percent higher that 18 months ago, Funny those houses are still on the market still overpriced and have not sold!...

Should be interesting when I market my house in March! Utter waste of time last year, had 1 viewer in 12 weeks, who was 'downsizing'. Sorry to say that my experience seems to be different from the 'alleged reality'
  • Options
    its a bit like life support, if you switch it off too early the patient dies...