Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL forum - isn't it strange?

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
CL is sooooooooo much busier after a defeat than after a win.

Are we just a bunch of moaners?

It would be good to see as many posts from members when we beat Tranmere on Saturday.

Comments

• Options
    Please change that to "if"....
  • Options
    Be positive Westie.....
  • Options
    Yep and Alex dont make the mistake others have made with when we beat tranmere!

[cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]CL is sooooooooo much busier after a defeat than after a win.

It would be good to see as many posts from members when if we beat Tranmere on Saturday.

:-)
  • Options
    Maybe it's busier 'cause the game was on the telly so a lot more people got to see it (including some of CL's substational overseas contingent) and therefore more people than usual feel in a position to comment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Please change that to "if"....

i was typing mine as you put it, i did not copy you honest matey
  • Options
    there were a lot more talking points from last night's game than after Hartlepool last week when there wasn't much more to say other than "played pretty poorly but got the three points"

if we stick five or six past Tranmere on Saturday, there will be plenty of 'Life' on the forum IMO
  • Options
    I wouldn't overplay it to be honest.

People feel the need to 'get things off the chest' when things go wrong a lot more than when things go right. That's not restricted to Charlton or other football fans, but life in general.

Sadly
  • Options
    I think its because the defeats highlight the views of those of us who realise there is a lot wrong with the current situation. We have been undefeated a lot this season but other than the honeymoon period at the start of the season we havent been convincing imo in the way that a promotion chasing team should be particularly recently.

By expressing views that are "negative" after a win/ draw is often seen as being eager to berate the team/ manager etc so I supsect that a lot of people dont comment for that reason.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Yep and Alex dont make the mistake others have made with when we beat tranmere!

[cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]CL is sooooooooo much busier after a defeat than after a win.

It would be good to see as many posts from members whenifwe beat Tranmere on Saturday.

:-)

How dare you change my post Sir! A downright liberty and I think you need to......

oh, hold on a minute....

Never mind :-o
  • Options
    not just c/life.
    it happens in pubs after games. when we win, not a lot is said. when we lose, we tend to talk about it more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]By expressing views that are "negative" after a win/ draw is often seen as being eager to berate the team/ manager etc so I supsect that a lot of people dont comment for that reason.
    I was going to say just that. After the Hartlepool and Wycombe games such views were shouted down because we won. With a defeat it's easier to illustrate the points to people who take a win at face value and fail to analyse. It's not taking any pleasure in the situation and it cuts both ways. If we'd played brilliantly and lost I'd not be whining, because there'd be actual positives to cling to.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]I think its because the defeats highlight the views of those of us who realise there is a lot wrong with the current situation. We have been undefeated a lot this season but other than the honeymoon period at the start of the season we havent been convincing imo in the way that a promotion chasing team should be particularly recently.

By expressing views that are "negative" after a win/ draw is often seen as being eager to berate the team/ manager etc so I supsect that a lot of people dont comment for that reason.

You say 'a lot' wrong with the current situation.....what do you mean by that exactly?
    We all know that it aint perfect 'cos we'd be top of the league and romping away with the title were that the case, however we are third and have only lost 3 times, so where does the 'a lot' comment come from?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Its also about expectations. We should expect to win games in this league and dont expect to lose at home to Leyton Orient.

Big difference from when we played them at theirs compared to last night in many waays
  • Options
    We should hope to win games like that, not expect.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]We should hope to win games like that, not expect.
    As I do, But know we won't win every match.

It's just that more people seem to want to comment after a defeat than a win.

As for last nights game I'll put my two penn'orth on the match thread sometime later.
  • Options

Funnily enough I joked with my pal on the way to the game that I should put a bet on 0-1 with McLeash to score.
    Wonder what price I'd have got for that double?
  • Options

That's where we differ. Winning mentality is going into games expecting to win and nothing less...that's what brings success.

Fair play if we were operating punching above our weight like the prem then yes thats unrealistic.

3rd division at home against relegation fodder....I expect a win so should the manager and so should the players.
  • Options
    Well I'm not going saturday so its bound to be a classic
  • Options
    66/1 Sound.

I seriously think IF we go up this season there will be a large number who will EXPECT us to be in the playoffs, or EXPECT us to sign a 25 goal striker or EXPECT us to have 100% passing accuracy or 100% tackle completion every game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]

That's where we differ. Winning mentality is going into games expecting to win and nothing less...that's what brings success.

Fair play if we were operating punching above our weight like the prem then yes thats unrealistic.

3rd division at home against relegation fodder....I expect a win so should the manager and so should the players.
    It is indeed.

I consider myself to be quite successful but it's not because I expected it. It's because I worked hard, took the highs with the lows and did not get myself caught up in the moment if something went/goes wrong.

If you expect things to happen and they don't you're disappointed, if you hope things happen and they don't then you look forward to see what you can do in the future to make them happen. And feel a lot better for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]I think its because the defeats highlight the views of those of us who realise there is a lot wrong with the current situation. We have been undefeated a lot this season but other than the honeymoon period at the start of the season we havent been convincing imo in the way that a promotion chasing team should be particularly recently.

You say 'a lot' wrong with the current situation.....what do you mean by that exactly?
    We all know that it aint perfect 'cos we'd be top of the league and romping away with the title were that the case, however we are third and have only lost 3 times, so where does the 'a lot' comment come from?

If we dont go up then we will likely lose Bailey, Racon, Elliot, Shelvey, Sam, Semedo, Yassin, Youga with the likes of Dailly and Burton get older which leaves us with a very limited squad whereby Wagstaff will be one we are placing our expectations on.

Even if we save money on wages the other running costs will saty consistent and more than likely crowds and gate revenue will dwindle so we wont have money to offer wages to decent players let alone sign them.

The board may think sod it and just cut their losses. And its downhill from there

I dont have faith in Parkinson, the board are looking for a way out and i dont think our squad has the mental toughness to get promoted via the play offs let alone the automatic spots.

That enough? ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]

It is indeed.

I consider myself to be quite successful but it's not because I expected it. It's because I worked hard, took the highs with the lows and did not get myself caught up in the moment if something went/goes wrong.

If you expect things to happen and they don't you're disappointed, if you hope things happen and they don't then you look forward to see what you can do in the future to make them happen. And feel a lot better for it.

But unlike in football you wont keep getting relegated if you dont succeed.
  • Options
    I don't think we'll get relegated off the back of a defeat to Leyton Orient mate. ;-)
  • Options
    yeah but we've only lost 3 games so far.......
  • Options
    when/if we don't go up this season automatically we must hope we do it through the play offs cos we'll have to lower our expectations even more next year .... unless there's a takeover ......... each to their own but this is dire dire football win/lose or draw it's painful to watch at times
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I don't think we'll get relegated off the back of a defeat to Leyton Orient mate. ;-)

No mate but thats what im saying...its not the individual games that highlight the problem(s) its the overall picture. If we dont seal promotion this year and a lot of the players leave or board goes then relegation to Div 4 could be a real possibility in the following couple of seasons.
  • Options
    'don't panic rodney, why be negative, lower your expectations' ..... march 2007, feb 2009 , jan 2011................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]'don't panic rodney, why be negative, lower your expectations' ..... march 2007, feb 2009 , jan 2011................

Indeed. Will be watching us playing a relegation battle against Bromley in a couple of seasons and being told to keep my chin up because we've sorted the ball boy situation out finally.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

i expect us not to go up but hope we do, when i look forward to the future and think what can be done to make it happen why don't i feel better for it!!
    can you help Dr. WSS or am i a lost cause
  • Options
    You've been a lost cause for a long time.