Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Bostock

Comments

• Options
    I'd be wary of a player who is said to have a bad attitude, but sometimes players like that just need the right manager and players around them.

They didn't have bad attitudes but look at Varney, Ambrose and Scott Sinclair. All doing well (Ambrose more so last season under Warnock) with a manager that knows how to handle them, play them to their strengths, give them a bit of freedom and let other players cover their weaknesses.

I'd rather we didn't gamble on players at this point in the season but maybe Powell thinks he can get the best out of a player like Bostock.
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Bostock's nickname of ''big boss man'' and his apparent reputation for being a cocky, full-of-himself little sod had me thinking.

Huge, huge risk, clearly. But it's possible he is a natural-born leader and just waiting to be given some responsibility which would make him mature overnight.

Equally, he might so piss off everyone else that you would end up with open rebellion and people refusing to play in the same team...

Overall, I have to say I come down on the side of not a gamble worth taking in Sir Chrissy's first week in charge !!!
    The way I read that, it looks like someone trying to make a joke on wikipedia. As anyone can edit it, things like that can be added and sometimes go unnoticed.
  • Options
    He is a talent and I would be quite happy if he came.
  • Options
    We interviewd Andy Scott according to my man at brentford but he also said we interviewed the exeter fella.

Put him with the others and that makes 5 so someone's telling porkies.

The boy may have been warned by harry that there are people at charlton who he knows well screw this one up and you are out.

If powelly wants him he will come if he don't he won't like i said if he wants him that's ok with me the boy has real talent as a footballer. the other side of him is down to bostock and what ever club gets him.

I wouldn't care if we got him
  • Options
    I think he may have that creative spark and flare we are lacking...

If powell can get the best out of him, we would have a very good player on our hands. May just be the difference between league 1 and championship
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]it looks like someone trying to make a joke on wikipedia. As anyone can edit it, things like that can be added and sometimes go unnoticed.

Yes, that's true as I know only too well from what people have written into my entry !

But I got the impression that what was said about Bostock was not merely the view of one disgruntled scribbler, but a fairly widely held view throughout the footballing world? I think his own manager has openly questioned his attitude.

What I was trying to say was he might be one of those bumptious characters who are just waiting be given some trust and responsibility, whereupon they blossom into natural leaders who never look back.

Or he might not !

Probably not a risk I'd take. But if CP reckons he can handle it, good luck to him.
  • Options
    Heard that he signed a 3-month loan deal this afternoon, to be announced tomorrow apparently.
  • Options
    Benefit of the doubt

Clean slate

Bring out the best in him please Chrissy - your first real piece of business so make it a good one
  • Options
    Just to add - seen 3 goals on YouTube and whilst it's not the oracle, that's 3 pretty magnificent strikes

That free kick is seriously top drawer

If you can get the best out of him he could be awesome

Seems a straight replacement for lee Martin imo
  • Options
    SCORED TWO CRACKERS TOTTENHAM YOUTH PROBABLY SEASON BEFORE LAST AT THE VALLEY. BOTH ABOUT 35 YARDS OUT AND WAS THE BEST PLAYER ON THE PITCH BY FAR. BUT, WE NEED MORE THAN SOMEONE WHO IS CAPABLE OF THAT WE NEED A FORWARD/MIDFIELDER WHO CAN CREATE MORE FROM WIDE ANGLES.
  • Options
    Done nothing for Brentford and ended up on the bench. Similar at Hull. Nowt to suggest he will be any better for us. No thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bostock is the last player you need.

He is a horrible arrogant jumped up little mug. His antics and attitude when Hull came to Millwall earlier this season & got thrashed was hilarious for us to watch. He sulked, he moaned, he lost it, he played for himself and had a go at teammates.

The league you're in is about squads who work bloody hard, have good team spirit, back each other up and have one or two players with a bit extra. He has the "bit extra" but he hasn't the workrate or attitude.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite] He has the "bit extra" but he hasn't the workrate or attitude.

He will do by the time Sir Chris Powell has finished with him.

Read the thread about how Powelll had them dropping like flies at training today because they'd never had to run so far or hard in their little lives!
  • Options
    Doesn't sound like a good signing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]He has the "bit extra" but he hasn't the workrate or attitude.

He will do by the time Sir Chris Powell has finished with him.

Read the thread about how Powelll had them dropping like flies at training today because they'd never had to run so far or hard in their little lives!

Yeah, that sounds like something Bostock will love.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]Doesn't sound like a good signing
    You maybe right. But at least you gave him plenty of time to win you over...
  • Options
    No dodgy attitudes please, no matter how talented they are.

If Parky did only one good thing it ws that he binned out all the Big Time Charlies.

Bostock has all the hall-marks of a Pardew loan signing - past experience should tell us to steer clear on that evidence alone.

There are good players out there who will improve us without us having to sign a scumbag or a sicknote - we just have to shop around for them.

Golfie is right - Kilbane looks like he's going to be a great signing for Huddersfield, I'd rather we looked for someone like that than billy-big-balls youngster.

If we can get a talented youngster with a great attitude then brilliant, but I'm not interested in us signing a player like Bostock so we can try and straighten him out for Spurs.
  • Options
    If he wants to end up playing premiership football then he needs to shape up and show all that early potential. That chance could be at The Valley. He will have been told to go out and earn his "spurs" liteally or forget a career at White Hart Lane. With the right guidance he could do very well.
  • Options
    ask everyone what they thought or tarahat (spelling sorry) who is now at qpr before he got there

exactly the same thing

until you see it in a charlton shirt or at our club make a decision

joey barton and Carrol horrible feckas dont go near them is what most say

bet there aint anyone who wouldnt sign them now

he is 19 ffs let him grow up and learn from someone who is proberly the most respected ex pro in football see what happens

some of you are so judgemental without seeing them for yourselves

for what its worth my mate got back to ma about townsend and arry has said he will go out on loan if they get one other of their targets i dont know if thats pinar, but he doesnt see his education as low as league 1 but who knows depends on the offer.

He also said he has a closer link with charlton now (due to people involved dont know who) but on the reasoning he will be keep closer tabs on bostock due to the relationship he now has within the club i am sure young j bostock knows this.

he was a proper talent at the stripey shite so i am looking forward to it
  • Options
    Let's see. It's a loan after all, not a 5 year contract. 3 months and us all gutted that he's back with Spurs and we've lost our creative flair or bought us a couple of wins and then fizzled out, as a few on here expect. Either way, compared to a few of our competitors' squads and points tallies, we're going to have to take a gamble or two and hopefully a couple of safety first signings alongside.
  • Options
    If he is seen as a "problem" then other clubs may stay away so we might get him a bit cheaper.

NLA makes some good points, still a risk but maybe Powell is the guy to sort him out. The talent is clearly there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How about him coming to us, being around Chrissy and discovering that there is a better way to conduct himself.

Maybe Chris could take him through his career which was one of hard work, dedication, continuous improvement until at age 30, he was selected for England. That is a role model that most young players would be wise to follow, especially ones with great talent largely unfulfilled like Bostock
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]How about him coming to us, being around Chrissy and discovering that there is a better way to conduct himself.

Maybe Chris could take him through his career which was one of hard work, dedication, continuous improvement until at age 30, he was selected for England. That is a role model that most young players would be wise to follow, especially ones with great talent largely unfulfilled like Bostock

this and i bet you he has been told any of that bs and your back to spuds asap
  • Options
    Bostock isn't going to rock up on Monday and be a model pro by Tuesday.

If it was July, and he was coming for a season, I could see the logic in bringing him in and putting some effort into straightening him out. As it is we need a quick fix and I don't think we need any disruptive influence around the dressing room. In the centre of midfield we need someone who will come in and roll his sleeves up when the going gets tough and will take games by the scruff of the neck when it's going well.

19 year olds don't do that unless they're something special - Brentford and Hull will tell you Bostock isn't thaty special 19yr old.
  • Options
    My concern about Bostock is where does he play and how does he fit into the team?

He's not a striker and won't be able to play CM in the muck and bullets of League One, so presumably that leaves him wide-right?

Sorry, but I don't like these young players from other "bigger" clubs coming in on short-term loan, we went down this route with Pardew and it was a bloody disaster.

If we must have loans then I would rather we have experienced pros with something to really prove like Borrowdale last season, although I don't mind Matt Fry this season, but the key with him is that it has been a long-term loan

The aim must surely be to shape a TEAM for promotion and I am not sure how you generate team spirit when you have young kids getting parachuted in from outside the club as a stop-gap measure.

This is nothing personal against Ecclestone or Bostock, they might both be fine young players, but I would prefer more permanent signings to give us a greater sense of certainty for the rest of the season.

These loan deals make me uneasy about how much actual cash we really have, I will only be convinced about the new owners intentions when I see the actual colour of their money in the transfer market.
  • Options
    Be a good CM to create with Jose doing the graft could work really well

did bostock play with ecclestone before if so they may know eachother already
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Be a good CM to create with Jose doing the graft could work really well

England youth I would think
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Be a good CM to create with Jose doing the graft could work really well

Dont think they did.

Ormiston you say you dont like young players from bigger clubs, i really dont get that. They can be fantastic players just waiting for their chance to shine, because they come from a bigger club shouldn't matter and nor should their age. I think getting ecclestone was an excellent bit of business. You want more permanent signings but the reallity is in this window there wont be many about and certainly not of the potential of Ecclestone. If CP thinks he can get the best out of Bostock then i say go for it, he might add more to the squad than you think.

If the new owners didn't sign anyone in this window because the only talent available would be on loan people would go mad we never got anyone. I can understand not wanting a 34 year old loanee but someone trying to put themselves in the managers mind can only be good.
  • Options
    http://www.fansonline.net/plymouthargyle/article.php?id=787

http://www.plymouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=228738

Carl Fletcher, another central midfielder rumoured. Where vital football gets this from and if it is true or not is anybody's guess. Don't know if he is any good.
  • Options
    How people can change - Jordan/ Warnock were all over the lad at one point - creating probably totally unrealistic expectations, hardly surprised his head was turned

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-490798/Meet-John-Bostock-aged-15-boy-Barcelona-buy.html

Seems to have gone a bit sour after the Spurs move - it appears he is needs to show what he can do, so (if true) a new opportunity just may not be a bad thing for him or us
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]

Dont think they did.

Ormiston you say you dont like young players from bigger clubs, i really dont get that. They can be fantastic players just waiting for their chance to shine, because they come from a bigger club shouldn't matter and nor should their age. I think getting ecclestone was an excellent bit of business. You want more permanent signings but the reallity is in this window there wont be many about and certainly not of the potential of Ecclestone. If CP thinks he can get the best out of Bostock then i say go for it, he might add more to the squad than you think.

If the new owners didn't sign anyone in this window because the only talent available would be on loan people would go mad we never got anyone. I can understand not wanting a 34 year old loanee but someone trying to put themselves in the managers mind can only be good.

My point is that teams that do well in League One are not generally reliant on bringing in young players from PL clubs, they are much more interested in building their own squad of players and maybe using the odd loan to fill a gap here and there.

Pardew's only full season here (07/08) was a complete farce with so many young PL players being brought in for short-term loans and making no contribution other than demoralising the established squad players.

Sure, if you can take people on a season-long loan then that's a bit different (as Swindon did with Danny Ward from Bolton last year) but bringing in people short-term worries me, you certainly are not seeing Saints, Brighton or Huddersfield doing it.

Bostock really does worry me because if he can't make the grade at Brentford then why are we - a club supposedly on the up - signing him for even on loan.

The key point though is this, we have been assured by many on here, including NLA who has got a lot right this last few weeks, that there is some "serious money" behind the new owners, if that is the case then we should be buying established L1 players to get us up not taking punts on loanee youngsters. That is what Saints did and they are headed in the right direction now.

There will be plenty of players available in the window if the right money is available, and Slater has already said that it is.