Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Multiball System

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
What is the point of us using this. It doesn't speed the game up, it slows it down as most of the time the game is stopped because of two balls on the pitch.

The club made pre-match announcements a few home games ago telling fans to help the system by throwing the balls back to the ball boys, but how can they when they don't even bother to get out of their seats to try and catch it (east stand ones tonight in particular). You end of with a fan holding onto the ball not knowing what to do, then throwing it once the game has restarted and it rolling onto the pitch. When the ball boys do try and catch it, what hope has a 10 year old got of catching a ball thrown at him from row Z of a stand. Don't think we've made it through a game yet without the ref having to put an end to it.

Rant over and feel a little happier now!!!

Comments

• Options
    To be fair retards lobbing the ball straight onto the pitch like hysterical girls, when a player's in the process of taking a throw on, don't help the situation. I'm guessing that the ball boys are told that they're not supposed to be running around behind the player when he's taking a throw, hence them why they don't "bother to get out of their seat". It's unfortunate that our supporters don't seem to have grasped what the club was trying to do, but if the masses are too thick to manage to not hurl a ball onto a giant fking grassy area because it's ended up in their paws, then I guess we can't have it.
  • Options
    at one point the first half the ball boy threw the ball straight to the orient player who took a quick throw when Charlton weren't even ready! is he on the o's payroll then?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]To be fair retards lobbing the ball straight onto the pitch like hysterical girls, when a player's in the process of taking a throw on, don't help the situation. I'm guessing that the ball boys are told that they're not supposed to be running around behind the player when he's taking a throw, hence them why they don't "bother to get out of their seat". It's unfortunate that our supporters don't seem to have grasped what the club was trying to do, but if the masses are too thick to manage to not hurl a ball onto a giant fking grassy area because it's ended up in their paws, then I guess we can't have it.

Quality
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]at one point the first half the ball boy threw the ball straight to the orient player who took a quick throw when Charlton weren't even ready! is he on the o's payroll then?!

Oh threw it back to quick ???? You sound like brian clough...Our players should have been ready or didn't they know there was a game tonight
  • Options
    Yep if we dont go up this year it wont because of the lack of tactical aptitude or poor management..... it's because of the ball rotation system. Sort it out Charlton.
  • Options
    Must say I did notice last night that one or two of the ball boys looked decidedly uninterested....I thought it might have been me being a bit critical....but it seems a few others spotted it as well, so maybe my first impressions were correct.
  • Options
    Really annoys me when there's two balls on the pitch yet no players or ballboys seem to have the no how on how to get it out of play quickly!
  • Options
    It's pathetic. Under instruction from the management we're trying to speed up our play but all that has come of it is confusion. It really doesn't help when some idiot from the crowd chucks the ball onto the pitch even though one of our players has a ball in his hands but then there have been occasions when two ballboys have chucked a ball each onto the pitch. Ultimately a system whereby we're trying to bend the rules a little bit has started to backfire. Perhaps if the club used older ballboys who understood what the manager/players are trying to do, and if a ball does go into row Z the stewards could be a little bit more pro-active the situation would be better.

As an aside it was mentioned quite a bit how powerless the stewards were at the Millwall game, but I do think the current lot are generally useless. If anyone remembers the two uninterested and plainly bored Roman soldiers guarding over the stoning scene in The Life of Brian, pretty much typifies the level of effort our stewards put into their jobs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]at one point the first half the ball boy threw the ball straight to the orient player who took a quick throw when Charlton weren't even ready! is he on the o's payroll then?!
    That pissed me off, as did the ball boy who just sat there when there were two balls on the pitch. Dailey had to kick the ball to him.
  • Options
    Yeah, and which ball does a player take when he gets a hatrick?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]at one point the first half the ball boy threw the ball straight to the orient player who took a quick throw when Charlton weren't even ready! is he on the o's payroll then?![/quote]
    That pissed me off, as did the ball boy who just sat there when there were two balls on the pitch. Dailey had to kick the ball to him.[/quote]

I didn't think ballboys were allowed on the pitch...
  • Options
    Can we only afford loan ballboys?

SORT IT OUT MURRAY.
  • Options
    They're not. I can always recall one poor wee bugger that was over enthusiastic and entered the pitch at Hamden and picked up a ball that was trundling out for a Scotland corner - drop ball got played, crowd not happy. If the ball's on the field and the "match" ball is in play then they're not allowed to just wander on: even if that's not common sense. I'd have thought that would be obvious, but obviously not. Then again, I'd have thought if a ball was in play it'd be obvious to members of the crowd not to just hurl the one in their hands onto the pitch.
  • Options
    Wouldn't have happened in Corey Watt's day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: EGAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    That pissed me off, as did the ball boy who just sat there when there were two balls on the pitch. Dailey had to kick the ball to him.

I didn't think ballboys were allowed on the pitch...
    I'm sure no one would have cared about the rules as the action was away from the other ball. Better for them to spend a second on the pitch than to leave a ball on the pitch, just ask a Liverpool fan.
  • Options
    Stick the ball up your jumper and take it home. Thats what I'd do
  • Options
    I remember before when a stray shot come int our end (away game) and we passed it from the left side all the way to the right and the steWards were clueless. Never had this problem then.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]What is the point of us using this. It doesn't speed the game up, it slows it down as most of the time the game is stopped because of two balls on the pitch.

The club made pre-match announcements a few home games ago telling fans to help the system by throwing the balls back to the ball boys, but how can they when they don't even bother to get out of their seats to try and catch it (east stand ones tonight in particular). You end of with a fan holding onto the ball not knowing what to do, then throwing it once the game has restarted and it rolling onto the pitch. When the ball boys do try and catch it, what hope has a 10 year old got of catching a ball thrown at him from row Z of a stand. Don't think we've made it through a game yet without the ref having to put an end to it.

Abso fu**ing lutely I 've been saying the same all season and it's driving me bonkers I tell you !
  • Options
    F me, was everyone so bored they spent the entire game watching the ball boys... says it all, FFS!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: johnpaul5[/cite]F me, was everyone so bored they spent the entire game watching the ball boys... says it all, FFS!!!

Of course they wern't....Jeezuz mate...just some observations that ARE worthwhile mentioning.....we've all commented about the game as well, so this wasn't a burning issue as you seem to be implying, just a logical football related discussion which affects the games at The Valley....if it didn't then the club wouldn't use the system....am I right?.
    If you haven't noticed some of the inconsistences re the ball boys then you are totally unobservant is all I can say.It's part of what you're watching isn't it, or do you look away or something when a throw in or corner are about to be taken?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SoundAsa£

THWACK... that's for the blasphemy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnpaul5[/cite]SoundAsa£

THWACK... that's for the blasphemy

Shouldn't you be looking for an alter boy jp?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]What is the point of us using this. It doesn't speed the game up, it slows it down as most of the time the game is stopped because of two balls on the pitch.

EXTRA TIME MULTIBALL (its an american thing i think i dont think using one ball is actually going to help though)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SoundAsa£

Wasn't having a dig at yaus lot like, more a swipe at the dross we ALL had to endure the other night.

Hey, maybe I'll even start watching the ball-boys now if it's that entertaining - thankyou all for the tip!

Maybe the ball boys should all have their names emblazened on the back of their trackies so we can all come on here and name and shame them and compare their performances!!

And what about ball-boy substitutions - the possibilities are endless!!
  • Options
    I know.

Next time those ball boys come running out into the centre circle, lets (the whole stadium) BOO them and shout rubbish.

We need to let them all know how very displeased we all are with their recent performances!!
  • Options
    There only kids. So what if they get it wrong from time to time i think you should probably name and shame someone your own age not children, who based on how my beloved Charlton is run, probably only get told half the info they need to do their job. As i say their only Children guys.
  • Options
    oh my god (oops blasphemy) it was a joke, jesus christ (oops blasphemy)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]There only kids. So what if they get it wrong from time to time i think you should probably name and shame someone your own age not children, who based on how my beloved Charlton is run, probably only get told half the info they need to do their job. As i say their only Children guys.

Ru...he was only joking mate.