Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Afraid Parky panicked too soon tonight with the subs

Right to bring Waggy on for Semedo when he did, but a poor decision to change the front two when we were creating lots of chances. Until then I still thought we were going to get back into it, but when subs were made we lost our rhythm, and the manager's rather rash decison unsettled the team.

But in the end I'm not that down - Parky is intelligent enough to know he got it wrong on this occasion and how to put it right. Roll on Tranmere - think we are going to stuff them.

Comments

• Options
    Couldn't agree more
  • Options
    Think Mooney for McKenzie was the right change... can't see why Burton came off to be honest, think our hopes went with him. He's intelligent, leads the line, holds play up, brings others in and good in the air... none of which apply to Chris Dickson. We needed a player like big Deon there, not a speedster to play on the break.
  • Options
    should have onlybeen mooney off!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    taking Burton off for Dickson was a poor mistake, but I felt he was right to make three changes and the other two subs seemed wise
  • Options
    He should have made two posibly and held Dick back till last 10 mins. We didnt deserve to win tho, Orient were set out well and held their shape through out.
  • Options
    I have to say that for me, tonight was confirmation that Dickson's not for us - it pains me to say it - but he's just not up to it ... especially as we're looking to get out of this sh1t hole of a division ....!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]I have to say that for me, tonight was confirmation that Dickson's not for us - it pains me to say it - but he's just not up to it ... especially as we're looking to get out of this sh1t hole of a division ....!
    agreed
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]He should have made two posibly and held Dick back till last 10 mins. We didnt deserve to win tho, Orient were set out well and held their shape through out.

We were fortunate to keep it to 1, their effort that hit the post deserved better - he turned Dailly inside out it was a move Bergkamp would have been proud of.........
  • Options
    shouldve been 0-0
  • Options
    Using all your subs with 25 mins to go reeked of panic

At least it only took him 60 mins to balance the side by bringing Wagstaff on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Wagstaff on and McKenzie for Mooney I expected at some point whatever the score. Agree we shouldn't have taken Burton off though. Dickson needs space to work in and as said he's no good at holding up the ball or bringing others into play.

Anyway it's only one game, long way to go. Just need to take a few chances like we normally do most games. We put some nice crosses in, especially Sam. Got a bit desperate with the long range shots which is frustrating. An early goal Saturday should settle us down.
  • Options
    I assumed at the time Burton must have had some sort of injury or was knackered, because I simply couldn't work out the thought process behind bringing him off
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Using all your subs with 25 mins to go reeked of panic

At least it only took him 60 mins to balance the side by bringing Wagstaff on.

He did that last week and it came off, he tried being positive tonight but it didn't work. No point bringing on three forwards when they get poor service.
  • Options
    The fowards had great service from Sam & Richardson in the 2nd half, problem is 3 of our 'strikers' are two bob.

And Parky took the main one off!

Dickson wont score as long as he has a hole in his arris.
  • Options
    Dickson makes Burton look an expert at beating the offside trap.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]I assumed at the time Burton must have had some sort of injury or was knackered, because I simply couldn't work out the thought process behind bringing him off

I personally reckon the thinking behind bringing Dicko on was the fact that Orient were holding quite a high line, so he could get in behind with his pace. Also where Deon plays with his back to goal, it's not suited to a defence with a high line. Could be wrong though of course.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]I assumed at the time Burton must have had some sort of injury or was knackered, because I simply couldn't work out the thought process behind bringing him off

I personally reckon the thinking behind bringing Dicko on was the fact that Orient were holding quite a high line, so he could get in behind with his pace. Also where Deon plays with his back to goal, it's not suited to a defence with a high line. Could be wrong though of course.....

Fair point, except I'm not sure I've ever seen Dicko beat an offside trap. Afraid the lad is a bit of an airhead, being polite here...
  • Options
    I think you're right all round with this thread , Weegie. I saw Dickson at Brentford and thought, "maybe, just maybe" but his appearances since then have been totally unproductive.
  • Options
    Where's McLeod when you need him eh? :D
  • Options
    When Dickson was retained and McLeod left Parky said it was because he didn't need two players who played the same way. Dickson has to be used running on to the ball, not as a target man like tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]

If that was the plan, then I would have brought him on for Mooney. Regardless of whether Burton is theoretically not suited to a high line, he was having a good game imo and we were indeed creating chances
  • Options
    Burton was winning his headers, linking the play well and had two or three chances to score. Dickson (although I am a give Dickson a chance advocat) looked non league in everythinh he did- first touch, link up play, shots and keeping onside.
  • Options
    For me Dickson and McLeod are both limited players but with their pace can be useful off the bench when we're winning. When we are losing they don't get the space they need and usuall end up giving away the ball with a bad touch or pass.
  • Options
    Interesting that no one has mentioned Racon.

Thought it was crying out for someone to put their foot on the ball and get us playing through midfield. I personally think Mckenzie has looked better out wide for us and would have been tempted to bring him on there.

I wouldn't have moved Shelvey inside either. I'd have replaced him with Mckenzie and done Racon for Semedo.

As poor as Mooney was, we were still getting the odd chance at that point so I would have left him with Burton and brought Dickson on the last 10 mins. Although, having said that, DIckson makes McLeod look like a world beater.
  • Options
    dickson shocking we need a forward jonjo was poor semedo poor sam was the only bright light on a poor showing off football on the box we need a left sided player we look so un balanced we looked so flat not good enough
  • Options
    If he hadnt of made subs then people would moan he was waiting too long to make changes.

Just think too few players turned up tonight and this result has been coming since beginning of December.

Like always, its going to come down how we react.

I am a little nervous but not downtrodden just yet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If he hadnt of made subs then people would moan he was waiting too long to make changes.

Just think too few players turned up tonight and this result has been coming since beginning of December.

Like always, its going to come down how we react.

I am a little nervous but not downtrodden just yet.

Spot on mate.
  • Options
    Thought both Burton and Mooney had shockers today and was happy for the double substitution. Overall the team were poor, we have recently ground out results, but today was one poor performance to many and it bit us on the bum!

I know we have no more moeny in the pot but we really do need to bring someone in. In the 80's promotion campaign we brought in Jim Melrose, in the play off final year we brought in Youds and Mills in both campaigns these were the boosts that tipped us over the edge, we need something this time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If he hadnt of made subs then people would moan he was waiting too long to make changes.

I think most people haven't criticised the timing of the subs, but specifically taking Burton off for Dickson. That's a fair point to debate, no?
    At the time it seemed very odd to me, and still does.
  • Options
    I would not have taken Semedo off - they were all over us thereafter. Jonjo is not strong enough and too slow to play in the middle at the moment