Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andriod Phone

I know everyone gushes over the iphone, but whats the opinion of Googles Andriod? I have the HTC and have been really impressed with it - anyway has anyone seen the Google Goggles app? - i think its pretty impressive - probably available on the iphone anyway

Google Goggles

Comments

• Android is about 1,000,000,000,000x better than the igash.
  • Depends on the phone, the more high end the better it is, and also depends if it's been skinned massively.

If you go down the Andriod route, look at the Milestone or Nexus one
  • I really like it, but the problem with all of these things at the moment is battery life. If you happen to want a phone for crazy shit like calling people it's a bit irritating that it runs out of power so spectacularly regularly. The same seems to apply to all the competition too, but it'd drive me back to a conventional phone until it's addressed.
  • Will be in the market for a new contract phone later this year.

I Like the Nexus One, but I'm waiting to see what Apple announce on Wednesday. I just have a sneaking suspicion that they may well be revealing an updated iPhone as well as the fabled tablet.

If you want a HTC Tattoo, Play are doing them for £189.00 sim free this weekend. (Code is HTC30). Was tempted, in fact I'm still tempted to get one and dump my E71.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Will be in the market for a new contract phone later this year.

I Like the Nexus One, but I'm waiting to see what Apple announce on Wednesday. I just have a sneaking suspicion that they may well be revealing an updated iPhone as well as the fabled tablet.

If you want a HTC Tattoo, Play are doing them for £189.00 sim free this weekend. (Code is HTC30). Was tempted, in fact I'm still tempted to get one and dump my E71.

I've got an HTC Tatoo as i wanted a smaller version of the iPhone.

It's good but not perfect.
    Weirdly it does all the complicated stuff brilliantly like google maps etc

BUT... it struggles a bit with the basic things like phoning and texting!
    Sometimes it can run frustratingly slowly so you can end up pressing buttons twice as you think it hasn't worked but then 5 seconds later it suddenly kicks in.
    The texting can drive you mad at times but i have now noticed that if you regularily empty your inbox this speeds things up.

Finally the battery duration is pretty poor, if i make a few long phones calls and use the internet a bit it often won't last a full day.

I'm happy with it for 18 months until, hopefully, they bring a out a slightly smaller iPhone.

Oh and one last thing, you'll end up with occasional app envy from your mates with iPhones, such as Sky+ and few others which aren't on Android.
  • I've got the Magic, I used to have battery problems but downloaded a taskkiller app which makes it last longer - still not great though
  • I have got a phone, wot I make calls with. I have got a computer wot I compute with. I have got a camera, wot I take photos with. I am bright enough to know where I left my car. I can read a map.

I don't have any problems with batteries running out, and I have money to spend on important stuff like beer and fags...

;-)
  • edited January 2010
    i phone. Got one on a 'partner contract' in mid November.......

I have to say that the phone itself is great as a bit of kit, but the battery seems to suffer with needing to be charged 3 times a week.
    The email is a bit slow in download, on an O2 contract. The camera is ok but a bit clunky.......resolution not all that.

Had/have difficulty in connecting to the web on the train ( although I am told this is an isue with all these phones)
    I am told I should have bought the 's' version which I am discussing with them about transferring the contract, althought knowing phone companies they will do anything than let you do this.........
    So disappointed so far, not interested in downloading apps, and other frilly 'make the coffee and wipe your backside gimmicks' but then I am probably not the young market they are trying to flog this to.

Alarmed at the 'fragile' stability of these things while I was in apple, every second customer was walking back with ' issues' cracked screens, water, etc etc... 'overheard that you should not use these things in the rain'

As I use a mac as a computer/pc thought it would be a lot more enjoyable. Cannot see it lasting the contract out!

So it's a three out of 10 from me..........
  • iphone = top banana
  • I've had the HTC G1 since Nov 08 on contract with T-mobile.

It's brilliant for what I need. Email is great as is Google maps. The G1 has the integrated keyboard so it's really useful for doing emails and texts.

Battery life can be managed to an acceptable level by turning off 3G and GPS until you actually need them.
  • Sponsored links:

• i phone. Nothing comes near.
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]i phone. Nothing comes near.
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]iphone = top banana
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite] I'm waiting to see what Apple announce on Wednesday. I just have a sneaking suspicion that they may well be revealing an updated iPhone as well as the fabled tablet.

How could they possibly improve on the current iPhone other than the standard improved camera, and possibly making it cheaper.

I still delighted with my 3g, especially as I'm now on a contract that is half the price of my original one but with twice the texts, and only 1 month's commitment. Gotta love o2 retentions department!

Btw Grand Theft Auto on it now is damn good if you found GTA4 good. Bus journeys are never the same again!
  • [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]I'm waiting to see what Apple announce on Wednesday. I just have a sneaking suspicion that they may well be revealing an updated iPhone as well as the fabled tablet.

How could they possibly improve on the current iPhone other than the standard improved camera, and possibly making it cheaper.

I still delighted with my 3g, especially as I'm now on a contract that is half the price of my original one but with twice the texts, and only 1 month's commitment. Gotta love o2 retentions department!

Btw Grand Theft Auto on it now is damn good if you found GTA4 good. Bus journeys are never the same again!

Everything can be improved.
    iPhone 4g
  • i've had an android phone for a couple of months now. as others have said, the battery life is very very poor. that said the phone is otherwise pretty good. a few little niggles but nothing i didn't expect.

the thing you need to bear in mind when choosing android based phones is that they have not been on the market that long and the platform is not anywhere near perfect.
  • I have a phone, a camera, and an mp3 player (all individually better than the iphone functions) and it's never occurred to me to pay 300 pounds to combine them.

The only thing I would potentially want is the web browser, but my current phone is adequate to check the Charlton score.

I used to be caught up in the gadget craze, but then realised that the brand new gadget that I thought was fantastic when I bought was still just as fantastic 3 years down the line. So nowadays I don't tend to let my head be turned by shiny new gadgets until I've worked out why I need it. I dunno, for all you iPhone lovers is there something I'm terribly missing by not having one?
  • edited January 2010
    Oh well If I sell the i phone should be a few punters on here that might be up for it!.... although the flimsy way they are made should only be a matter of days before one of my sons breaks his ( one is currently on his 3rd in 14 months)...
  • [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite] I dunno, for all you iPhone lovers is there something I'm terribly missing by not having one?

Personally it's just something I couldn't live without. Imo there's not 1 killer feature but the ease of checking the web, emails, facebook etc allied to the fact that I can carry one device instead of 3 as I did previously to access less features (my TomTom, iPod and phone) means I would miss it if I didn't have an iPhone or something similar. Add in the fact the games that make any boring moment interesting and I think it's awesome. That all may not sound that amazing but I can only say that once you've lived with it, you'd find it hard to get rid!

and BDL, a touch sensitive case, as the article states, would probably drain too much battery life to be realistic. I'm still intrigued as to what they say on Wednesday though, especially as my contract is up!
  • [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]I dunno, for all you iPhone lovers is there something I'm terribly missing by not having one?

Personally it's just something I couldn't live without. Imo there's not 1 killer feature but the ease of checking the web, emails, facebook etc allied to the fact that I can carry one device instead of 3 as I did previously to access less features (my TomTom, iPod and phone) means I would miss it if I didn't have an iPhone or something similar. Add in the fact the games that make any boring moment interesting and I think it's awesome. That all may not sound that amazing but I can only say that once you've lived with it, you'd find it hard to get rid!

and BDL, a touch sensitive case, as the article states, would probably drain too much battery life to be realistic. I'm still intrigued as to what they say on Wednesday though, especially as my contract is up!

Thanks allez. You're probably right about me finding it hard to get rid, which may be a good reason to try and purposefully avoid it! I guess the thing is I'm happy with the technology I have and an iPhone wouldn't make me happier, it would just make me more demanding of technology when I don't really need to be.

Technology always interests me in that in 5 years the current iPhone will be seen as dull, limited and frustratingly slow, despite being seen as amazing and essential right now. Not that advancement is a bad thing, it's just that sometimes it creates the impression that what you currently have is insufficient - which isn't always true.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]i phone. Nothing comes near.

Well I have to say, at present you're probably right but the Android Hardware is coming on in leaps and bounds unlike the iPhone. I've been lucky enough to play with a number of new developmental Android handsets in recent weeks (the Electronic Engineering & Computer Science dept at my Uni is doing significant work for Google, Motorola, HTC, Sony Ericcson amongst others and through being persistently nosey and interested being the phone geek that I am, I've been getting involved with some of the day-to-day testing for bugs etc) and the new hardware is the absolute nuts.

Apple really will have to pull their finger out with the next version of the iPhone and those thereafter otherwise they'll be finding themselves left behind.

Ok, at present, given the number of apps available for the iPhone, the iPhone still holds a significant advantage in the market place but give it another 12-24 months, Android will be seriously squeezing Apple's share of the market and definitely has the "potential" to be even bigger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Emperors new clothes.

You mugs...

;-)