Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Queensland

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
Any recommendations for a week winding down at a beach resort on the east coast of Oz? We're leaning towards the North at the moment (rather see the Reef than the Gold Coast). Will be the last leg of an expensive honeymoon so can't splash out too much.

Is there a Queensland Addick or did I dream it?

Ta

Comments

• Yep, Queensland Addick is your man
  • went there a long time ago, hit upon a lovely swimming beach about 4 feet deep for quite a long way out, somewhere around surfers/ gold coast i think - over ten years ago now

enjoy
  • or, we could splash out on the last bit and not go to the cricket :-D
  • Martin (Queensland Addick) is here actually...last game will be Monday night against Orient.....we will be in the North upper....

My suggestion is Palm Cove.....just north of Cairns, my stepdaughter went last week for the first time.....Ive been myself several times....bit of everything...rain forest, easy access to Barrier reef tours and Islands....white water rafting, beautiful scenic drives and cable car that goes up a mountain and over the rainforest canopy to an old hippy settlement that is now quite interesting and touristy....you can get the cable car back or get an old fashioned train. Only downfall is having to swim inside a net enclosure unless you go to an Island. Port Douglas is an easy drive, Mission Beach going south is a nice area...great drive around the plateu towns also....

Gold Coast is high rise city on the beach...Id avoid it myself.....Sunshine coast up towards Noosa is lovely and about 2 hours either side of Brisbane....

Addicksdownunder normally have a meet over the Xmas holidays.....worth looking us up if youre game for a piss up.
  • Avoid the Gold Coast and do a scuba dive at the Great Barrier Reef.

I would also recommend visiting Fraser Island and sailing the whitsundays.
  • oh can we also add that this will be 2nd week of January 2011 so we also don't want to get rained on. heard its tropical rainy season in parts? are we best sticking nearer to brisbane or to cains?
  • Get over the west side of Oz, lovely beaches (all year round), loads of Pom's and is only 8 hrs ahead of the mother country! (even on honeymoon you want to know how the addicks are getting on!)
  • I spent 3 months traveling from tasmania to cape tribulation a few years back.

By far one of the best highlights was 3 nights on the solway lass, a large old tall ship.

great mix of people on board, not like the racing boats that leave on a daily basis (think 18-30's! and death traps!)

http://www.australiantallships.com/solwaylass.php?wp=27

and as said in a prev post Fraser Island is a good shout, hire your own land rover (complete with camping gear) and cruise round for a few days. Lake McKenzie is a must
  • ah yes I recall a train trip into the rain forest and the cable car back up near Cairns.

The bit outside the main bits of surfers paradise etc aren't as bad as people make out, in fact some of them are amazing deserted beaches.

NSW might be better this time of year, Blue mountains etc, Palm beach Sydney etc, Bondi is not all that
  • i stayed in cape tribulation when i wanted to visit the reef. nice little place.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]ah yes I recall a train trip into the rain forest and the cable car back up near Cairns.

The bit outside the main bits of surfers paradise etc aren't as bad as people make out, in fact some of them are amazing deserted beaches.

NSW might be better this time of year, Blue mountains etc, Palm beach Sydney etc, Bondi is not all that

we're already doing melbourne and sydney for almost a week each. we want a beach relaxing resort location thats affordable but a bit of luxury, for about 5 nights.
  • edited January 2010
    yeah best to look at weather charts, don't rule out NSW tho, even north shore sydney (home and away) is nice, Perth may also be, I can't say as never been that far over.
  • We stayed at a nice resort right on the beach at Marcoola, which is south of Noosa. I'd also recommend Hamilton Island on the Reef. People say stay clear of the Gold Coast but we stayed a couple of nights at Surfers Paradise and wished we'd stayed longer. The beaches are good and one's like Broadbeach are pretty uncrowded compared to Surfers. The beauty to me was that within an hour you could be up in the Mountains where it's cooler, very picturesque and quiet. Some great road drives and hardly any cars, very relaxing. At night head back to Surfers, plenty of good restaurants and a good vibe about the place.
  • oh and he doesn't drive and i dont fancy driving abroad and paying to hire a car.
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]ah yes I recall a train trip into the rain forest and the cable car back up near Cairns.

we're already doing melbourne and sydney for almost a week each. we want a beach relaxing resort location thats affordable but a bit of luxury, for about 5 nights.

having seen this I'd definately recommend Hamilton Island. Can easily access the reef and more importantley Whitehaven Beach, romantic sunset cruises, some nice restaurants round the small harbour, couple of nice beaches, plenty of secluded pools with waterfalls etc. Hilly but you can hire a golf buggy to drive around in. Got it's own airport too, direct flights from Brisbane, Sydney etc. It's the Island where the English bloke recently won the conpetition to be Caretaker for a year.

on behalf of The Hamilton Island Tourist Board !!
  • Visited surfers couple of weeks ago - thought it was tacky.
    And Cairns in the summer!!!! - with the humidity, you must be mad.
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]oh and he doesn't drive and i dont fancy driving abroad and paying to hire a car.

oh Suzi !!! One of the joy's of Oz is driving. The roads are so quiet and you really can't beat driving the Great Ocean Road or even Brisbane to Sydney. Believe me, not driving anywhere you are really missing out.
  • cheers, all.

tel, i'd been reading up on palm cove, seems reasonable and there's plenty to do. whitsundays and hamilton island look great but might be out of the budget. cape tribulation looks like a lovely tropical spot.

hopefully we'll hear what queensland addick has to say, would certainly be up for meeting for a festive beer in the sun.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]oh and he doesn't drive and i dont fancy driving abroad and paying to hire a car.

oh Suzi !!! One of the joy's of Oz is driving. The roads are so quiet and you really can't beat driving the Great Ocean Road or even Brisbane to Sydney. Believe me, not driving anywhere you are really missing out.

we're not there long enough for a road trip really unfortunately. its a bit of a whistlestop tour and car hire isn't in the plan. not my plan anyway. if les wants a road trip he has 11 months to learn to drive!
  • Whitsunday Islands i have enjoyed be it 25 years ago,best holiday ever.Airlie Beach area for The Great Barrier Reef was a must,Scuba dive the reef you only live once.Have a great time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Suzi & Les,
    All the points made above are very valid. You'll be visiting in the middle of the rainy season. It could be lovely or it could bucket down every day. My brother visited us in Jan last year and it poored down every day for two weeks. In that situation, wherever you are, it will not be very pleasant, be it the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast or north Queensland. If the weather is fine, I would say the Whitsundays would take some beating. Perhaps base yourselves on the mainland at Airlie beach and then take some day trips out to the islands, cheaper and more to do than staying on just one island. Accomodation on the islands is very expensive. I have heard also a lot of good reports about Port Douglas and Mission Beach, however it is likely to be either very wet or extremely humid up there in the middle of Jan, also further to travel to from Sydney. The best advice I would give you is to wait until you are in Aus to book your trip to Qld. Not only will you have a good idea what the weather is going to be like then, it will most likely be cheaper as well. Simply walk into a travel agent in Sydney or Melbourne and within half an hour you'll be booked up. No point in paying a small fortune, only to be stuck in a hotel room on an island when it is peeing down and you can't even get out. Internal flights are quite reasonable and Australia is so large that even if there are cyclones on the east coast, other parts such as central or western Australia could be fine. You can adapt your plans accordingly. So I'd say don't be afraid to play it by ear. Whisper me If you need any help.
  • I've been to Peppers Salt resort in northern NSW which is a lovely spot.

I'd agree with Queensland Addick; wait 'till you're here to book it
  • We've just got back from 3 weeks in Oz, visiting Sydney, Cairns, Sunshine Coast and Melbourne. I'll bow to the superior knowledge of those contributors that live there, especially Martin who gave us some excellent advice. I can understand Martin saying wait to book until you are there and know what the weather is like but a word of warning - Oz TV makes US TV look positively educational. Making decisions based on a map of Oz with half a dozen symbols on, displayed for 10 seconds if you are lucky - good luck!

Definitely hire a car ! Whilst in Cairns (3 nights at Il Palazzo hotel) we were being driven to the railway station through the rush hour traffic. At one set of traffic lights there were three cars, one behind the other! Its a piece of cake, honest ! We liked Cairns - very very laid back. The railway/cable car trips to Kuranda are OK but maybe a bit over rated. Kuranda is very touristy although the family loved the chance to cuddle a Koala.

We spent 7 nights on Sunshine Coast (Mooloolaba, 1 hour north of Brisbane, mostly Australian locals and tourists) and loved it - I could live there. Its a seaside resort with no tackiness, a beautiful long sandy beach and promenade (which is busy with locals (I think) late into the evening) and lots of restaurants and shops. We hired Kayaks for a brief paddle on the Moloolah river. Despite Martin's advice (sorry, Martin) we went to the Australia Zoo (Steve Irwin etc) and couldn't fault it - its was very busy but an excellent day out (which I was not expecting). Just inland (20 minutes drive) are the Glass Mountains with lots of walks (if you like that sort of thing). We didn't have time to venture northwards to Noosa etc but Martin says it is beautiful.

Whatever you choose, it will be difficult not to have a good time, but don't forget to take the factor 50!
  • So pleased that you enjoyed your trip Hex, and that you didn't take my advice not to bother with Australia Zoo lol.
    I'm looking forward to getting back there on Friday after having seen us hammer the O's hopefully!
    Killara,
    I agree with you about the New Tweed coast, it's a lovely area right down to Byron Bay.
  • Susi & Les

Ignore all of the above. Come to Wollongong, 80 kms south of Sydney and you can have the highlight of your life and meet ME. Its an offer you can't refuse........................or can you
  • is it me or does oz sound such a nice place!
  • Seeing is believing SE9
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Seeing is believing SE9

From my very very brief time there ...... I could live on the Sunshine Coast, I really liked Cairns but maybe just too laid back. I didn't see anything in Sydney and Melbourne that cried out "I could easily live here".

Q. Excuse the generalisation but, with all that space, why do Australians build their houses so close together and put 6ft tin fences around their small gardens ?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Hex[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Seeing is believing SE9[/quote]

From my[b]very very brief time there[/b]...... I could live on the Sunshine Coast, I really liked Cairns but maybe just too laid back. I didn't see anything in Sydney and Melbourne that cried out "I could easily live here".

Q. Excuse the generalisation but, with all that space, why do Australians build their houses so close together and put 6ft tin fences around their small gardens ?[/quote]

1] So that developers can squeeze as many houses as possible onto the development.

2] Because, contrary to popular belief, many Australians hate their bloody neighbours. I know I do.
  • I think everyone has their own opinions about likes and dislikes. I think you'd be hard pushed to beat Avalon Nsw personally as we have everything. The beaches (they film Home & Away on our local beach) Rainforest on our doorstep, and close enough but far enough from Sydney CBD. Paradise! I can't wait to move back.