Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Police boxes

Anyone actually remember these ? you know the Dr Who TARDIS? the only one i remember was in Barnehurst Road, it was a game to kick door open as a kid and see if there was anyone in? sad to say it was nowhere as exciting inside as the Tardis. faded white paint, smelt of cigs and had a shelf a stool and an old backerlight phone.

Comments

• i used to walk into my wardrobe thinking i would go into the lion witch and the wardrobe carry on,i ended up butting my head and getting a shiner.
  • Like these GH? unfortunately I do remember them :(

http://www.police-box.co.uk/
  • There is one at the Valley near the away end!lol!
  • there is of course one outside TV centre.
  • edited January 2010
    Yes indeed, there was one on Wrotham Road, Gravesend on the right as you drove into the town, a bit before the Woodlands Hotel. I remember it because when I smashed my dad's car up on the nearby crossroads in '64 the copper that turned up summoned assistance from it (he was on a pushbike). Got done £25 for driving without due care etc. The old man wasn't impressed either!!
  • There used to be a small one on the corner of Trafalgar Square near South Africa house.
  • edited January 2010
    There was one in Greenwich park flower garden a year or so ago...
    and photographed this presenter in November at tvc.......
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52647217@N00/page4/
  • I haven't seen many AA/RAC boxes about lately either.
  • [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]There used to be a small one on the corner of Trafalgar Square near South Africa house.

There still is. It is inside a stone pillar that resembles te rest of the masonary on the square.
  • that's actually a police station rather that a box.

Smallest in the world. There for processing arrests at demos.

Was a police box in abbey wood village back in the 60s
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]There used to be a small one on the corner of Trafalgar Square near South Africa house.

There still is. It is inside a stone pillar that resembles te rest of the masonary on the square.

Nice piece of spotting there young man.

[cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]that's actually a police station rather that a box.

Smallest in the world. There for processing arrests at demos.

Is it a real Tardis? You couldn't process many people in there!
  • Used to be one at Bickley point.
  • edited January 2010
    The worlds smallest police station was on Spike Milligans Q, this consisted of a copper with a dolls house on his head. When I were a nipper there was a Tardis style police box on Brampton Road where the road forks as you approach Bostall Heath.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Anyone actually remember these ? you know the Dr Who TARDIS? the only one i remember was in Barnehurst Road, it was a game to kick door open as a kid and see if there was anyone in? sad to say it was nowhere as exciting inside as the Tardis. faded white paint, smelt of cigs and had a shelf a stool and an old backerlight phone.

Someone had shat in there?
  • Remember a police box at the junction of Sidcup by-pass and Perry Street,which was still there well into the 70s anyone that had to visit Queen Marys Hospital or the boys school may recall this.As a young boy sat beside this box watching
    the London to Mexico car ralley go by .A certain Jimmy Greaves was one of the contestants.
  • There was one on commercial road in the 1970's just the other side of the Blackwall Tunnel only time I have ever seen a 'real' one.
  • Haven't been up to Edinburgh for a while but they still had them a while back in some cities. Turned them into information centers if I remember rightly.
  • According to a recent Echo article the first police box in England was in Sunderland...
  • My local one, for many a year, was outside Torridon Road Library in Catford...near Sandhurst Road School.Disappeared circa 1963/64......Maybe Dr Who flew it away.................................... at least I'd like to think so.
  • There used to a police box in Charlton Road opposite the Rectory Field (roughly).
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a Police Box but my uncle who is ex-OB for the Royal Family, told me that there is a police station in Wellington Arch. Not sure if he's winding me up or not.
    wellington_arch.jpg
  • Used to be one near the second hand book shop in Blackheath.
  • there still is one in earls court road , by the station , it is the only one left in london
  • I think there's still one by the town hall in Sheffield
  • Used to be one on Hurst Road, Sidcup opposite Penhill Road.
  • There used to be one at the bottom of Sydenham Hill just up from Hornimans Museum in Forest Hill and don't get me started on the horse troughs!
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Haven't been up to Edinburgh for a while but they still had them a while back in some cities. Turned them into information centers if I remember rightly.

There's one in the middle of Buchanan St, the main shopping St in Glasgow. Used as a kiosk to sell coffee.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Not a Police Box but my uncle who is ex-OB for the Royal Family, told me that there is a police station in Wellington Arch. Not sure if he's winding me up or not.
    wellington_arch.jpg

That's true...though I very much doubt it's functioning nowadays.
  • Wellington arch is now a venue you can hire for corporate dinners, weddings etc...

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.955/imageIndex/11