Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beckford signs pre contract agreement with Everton AND Leeds sign Barnard for an undisclosed fee!

All I have to say to that is SHIT! SHIT! SHIT!

Comments

• I say lol.

Panic sets in at Elland Road...
  • Is he winding us up?
  • I've heard the Everton thing but not the Barnard one.

I can really see them slipping again but I think they still have enough points already.

Be interesting to see if and when us and Norwich go level on points with them they deal with the pressure of HAVING to win to stay up there.
  • It's in The Sun - report on page 67 - sorry guys - don't know how to link it - was sitting here, reading the paper, eating my porridge and then I nearly spat the bloody lot out.

Beckford stays to the end of the season and now one of the division's top goalscorers joins him for the rest of the season.

ARSE!
  • It's the Sun though, clive.

Beckford is overrated.
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]It's the Sun though, clive.

Beckford is overrated.
    Looking at the above link it looks pretty certain.
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]It's the Sun though, clive.

Beckford is overrated.
    Beckford is OVERRATED?! For League One? What does that make our centre forwards then?! Barnard isn't over-rated ....

It's NOT good news
  • Beckford has not done too well scoring against Wycombe, Exeter or Carlisle in recent games.

Imagine what we'd be like if we failed to win any of those three.
  • Sponsored links:

• im not boverred in it... so long as we keep winning im happy!
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Beckford has not done too well scoring against Wycombe, Exeter or Carlisle in recent games.

Imagine what we'd be like if we failed to win any of those three.

He did alright in the rest of the season and away at Old Trafford though, didn't he ....! ;-)

Surely you'd agree Leeds would be worse off (and therefore us better off) with Beckford leaving them this January and Barnard NOT signing for them?

Aye carumba this board is difficult at times!
  • WSSWSS
    edited January 2010
    Totally clive, of course I would be.

I don't think this should have a big effect on Charlton and what we have to do for the rest of the season though.
  • Kandol might be available then : - )
  • Why are we so bothered about leeds? Play and win our own games sign and sell our own players is all we should be worried about, I personally feel leeds are due a bit of a bad run and I think us and norwich will take the top 2 with leeds colchester huddersfield and southampton taking the playoff spots.
  • Kandol's heading to Oldham so i've heard.

Clive, his first touch is awful, he won't get away with that at a higher level. He is a League One striker so granted it could have been better news for this season but we've done ok to keep up with him still there haven't we?
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Why are we so bothered about leeds? Play and win our own games sign and sell our own players is all we should be worried about, I personally feel leeds are due a bit of a bad run and I think us and norwich will take the top 2 with leeds colchester huddersfield and southampton taking the playoff spots.

spot on adam

Fudge leeds folks they are top regardless of who they sign they can not get any higher, it is game on now big time we have the next 2 home games to win first but if we do neither Leeds nor Narwich will relish coming to a team un beaten at home since March 2009, when was the last time we did something like that.

I am more concerned that we turned in such an average performance at home when we really need to cement our credentials, Games like last night need to be won and we did, but if there is anyone with a few shillings at the club please please please get someone in to help with the goals,
  • Things I've heard about Beckford is that he might fail to make it at Championship level let alone in the PL.

Just win our own games, all we can do. We are level on points with Norwich despite us not playing that well recently, 3 behind Leeds who have a bit of a fixture backlog, neither of them are Brazil, long way to go.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Things I've heard about Beckford is that he might fail to make it at Championship level let alone in the PL.

Just win our own games, all we can do. We are level on points with Norwich despite us not playing that well recently, 3 behind Leeds who have a bit of a fixture backlog, neither of them are Brazil, long way to go.

... and they both have to come to the Valley. If we win those games, and keep going the way we are, we will go up.
  • Yup, still completely in our own hands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Signing Barnard might actually unsettle them. I've only seen Leeds a couple of time on TV this season and up front they seem quite settled with Becchio holding the ball up and Beckford running into the space behind. If they bring Barnard in, will they play him all the time or bring him on if Beckford is playing badly?
  • May actually be a positive for us ... below taken from a Leeds forum ... and this is not an uncommon comment:

His attitude hasn't been right, he doesn't put in the best effort every game, and it could affect the entire team/squad. We need more consistency, and he might not even be Championship material. Mainly for his attitude, I think it'll be better he leaves.

If he is staying as seems likely do you really think he is going to go out of his way to get stuck into a game when it may result in an injury and ruin his move to the Premiership?

His attitude does not seem to be great at the best of times and this potential move will always be at the back of his mind ... this may actually be the best result we could have hoped for ... a player not giving his all and who is not that bothered because he is moving anyway,
  • Grayson intimated that a deal is in place between Beckford and the Toffees, but believes the 26-year-old could yet move to a bigger club.

"Pre-contract agreements aren't binding, so both parties could pull out at any time," said Grayson in The Sun.

"If he bangs in another 20 goals, there might be bigger teams than Everton coming in for him."

If pre-contracts are not binding then why sign one? Plus I thought you could only sign one with a Club outside England or am I wrong on that. Barnard a great signing though.
  • Note to Grayson how many bigger clubs are there? That would want to sign an unproven 26?

Maybe Barca might want to replace their Swedish nutter?
  • I think this could be good if he has signed a pre-contract, maybe he will not be interested for the rest of the season? we can hope

also its what we do that matters as others have said, i think Leeds are within distance of us & Narwich so i hope they are looking over there shoulders and if they're not then they should be!
  • Nothing on Southend's or Leeds' site about Barnard signing so either the Sun have got a scoop or it's made up.

Interestingly Leeds fielded a full strength side last night and still lost. After Spurs this weekend they go to Swindon next tuesday and then have Colchester at home when we play Tranmere. Massive week for them.
  • On SSN website - Southampton have reportedly made an offer of £150,000 for Southend United striker Lee Barnard, who has also been attracting interest from Leeds United.
    On the Southend website - Barnard limped off injured on Saturday, although not serious.
  • Would love us to be able to make a statement and spend a fee on a player like Barnard but can't see it happening in a million years... cheers Pardew... I really hate that smug w@nker
  • [cite]Posted By: jaire[/cite]On SSN website - Southampton have reportedly made an offer of £150,000 for Southend United striker Lee Barnard, who has also been attracting interest from Leeds United.
    On the Southend website - Barnard limped off injured on Saturday, although not serious.

Its just so wrong on every level, they had untold debts went bankrupt got took over and spend untold. Must be a lot of pissed off firms in southampton.

Still not long till admin again if pards keeps his success rate up
  • Southend have issued a statement on their website stating the rumours about Barnard are untrue - it states that there are three parties interested in Barnard but no offer has been accepted.