Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Royal Oak (yet again)

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
Went to the Royal Oak tonight. The place is an object lesson on how not to run a pub.
Walked in just over an hour before kick-off. Ordered 4 pints of London Pride. Only to be told "sorry it's run out"
O/K i say, we'll have 4 pints of I.P.A. Only to be told, "the barrels just gone, can you wait"
So we wait. Fully 5 minutes later we receive the IPA. One of which i'm pretty sure was made up from the drip trays, judging by the state of it.
Decide we have time for a second round. Guess what? The IPA is now gone.
Right we'll have three of the bottled Speckled Hen and one Corona! This costs me twelve quid!!!!!
Never again. Back to the Bugle for us.

Comments

• Options
    I had to send a pint back tonight, and the replacement was equally shite.

Fair play to those behind the bar, service wise they are pretty good, but the beer is ropey.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I had to send a pint back tonight, and the replacement was equally shite.

Fair play to those behind the bar, service wise they are pretty good, but the beer is ropey.

And you drink bloody Euro Fizz! Must have been really bad.
  • Options
    exactly
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I had to send a pint back tonight, and the replacement was equally shite.

And you drink bloody Euro Fizz! Must have been really bad.

Had the syrup on the coke gone then? You know you can't get served in there without i.d.....;-)
  • Options
    Fair one, first time I've been in there with the new management and the staff are friendly and quick servers but the beer was rank and £3.10 a pint of Fosters???

Back to the Lib Saturday
  • Options
    Went there for the first time in about 2 years. The refurb is crap. A sign on the table outside claims "We now serve Pride". They didn't and that was at 4.30, so when they told Daggs it had run out, they must have been talking about at the weekend.

Hated the place and the people in there drinking (at 4.30), foul mouthed retards.
  • Options
    I really don't know why I bother there anymore. I've not been able to get a pint of Pride for 8 out of the 12 home games I've been to - and the IPA was only available up until about 45 mins before kick off on two out of the other times. I've also sent beers back about 6 times this season because it was so ropey - including having fizzy Pride/IPA.

Then they have the cheek to try and sell you a bottle of Speckled Hen at £3, when you can buy 4 bottles in Tescos for £2.99. I'm sure the brewery would come down on them like a ton of bricks if they knew what they were doing.

It's obvious, that they just can't be bothered with the bitters, when they make a fortune on selling the bottled beers. Last night I was on the Guinness and at least I got a full pint. Fed up with asking them to 'top it up'.

I notice that the landlady hasn't appeared on this forum since the start of the season.
  • Options
    It looked dead when i drove past. Stick to the Buggle anyway i do.
  • Options
    I 100% agree with all of the above, I have tried all lagers since the new owners have taken over. They have all been sh1te and flat, you can tell they have been watered down.

I went there last night had one pint of pants fosters for £3.00 plus and left it to go to Bartrams, the beer in there was far superior!!!

Utter rubbish! Even the guiness seemed watered down and had all black fluff on the head.
  • Options
    I think the solution here is not to go there; certainly not as enjoyable as going there and then moaning about it but a viable option none the less !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You may well be right PL54. I ain't going there again. But surely you don't think I or anyone went in there just to have a good old moan about it do you?
    The sad thing is, i would like to go there. I would like to drink London Pride.
    At a time when pubs are struggling big time, it would be a shame if this pub failed again.
    But for crying out loud, how many times can a publican run out of a very popular beer on a matchday. Surely she can see matchdays are the days to make good income to help cover the lower income on most other days.
  • Options
    I think I've only managed to get one pint of Pride since it reopened :-(

At least I got 2 x IPA before it ran out though :-D
  • Options
    Not aware of re-arranged game perhaps.

The Lib Club is rubbish, service terrible, no room, no lifers. Avoid at all costs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not aware of re-arranged game perhaps.

The Lib Club is rubbish, service terrible, no room, no lifers. Avoid at all costs.

No atmosphere, Gassy Lager, Old Carpets.......
    MiserableOldGits moaning..........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]

No atmosphere, Gassy Lager, Old Carpets.......

Come on MOG, do you know a man who could help with this problem?
  • Options
    If I was travelling from central London to the game (by train), I would get off at maze Hill and use the Vanborough.
    Seeing that it basically located at the end of the platform.
    Not the cheapest pub around, but they have a good selection of beers.
  • Options

Got to agrre with the beer in there is shit, had 1 pint of fosters then had to go on the bottles of cider.
    Service is good though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]

No atmosphere, Gassy Lager,Old Carpets.......

Come on MOG, do you know a man who could help with this problem?

Funny you saying that......
    dropped acouple of sample books there earlier.......
    ;-)
  • Options
    just off to the Oak
  • Options
    "The Pub with no beer!".
    ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They will have the Bristol Rovers game on on 15th Feb!lol!
  • Options
    Went to the Oak for the first three home games but no London Pride or other drinkable stuff and no sign of any improvement. Now go to the Lib, despite the poor service, lousy beer and surly customers, because it's CL free.
  • Options
    Or - have a drink at the ground and put money into the club......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Or - have a drink at the ground and put money into the club......

Do they serve bottled beer ....?

;o)
  • Options
    I'm very dissapointed to hear of these negative complaints re The Oak, there were such high hopes when the new people took over....let's hope they read them without 'freaking out' completely and act accordingly.
    Not that I frequent it myself I have to say but you so much want folk to do well (especially in the pub game) in these tough times as very frighteningly so many are going to the wall....come on, get your fingers out there at The Oak and deal with these issues....pronto!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not aware of re-arranged game perhaps.

The Lib Club is rubbish, service terrible, no room, no lifers. Avoid at all costs.[/quote]

The draft beer is pretty poor for sure, the service is ok though
  • Options
    Hello to all you unhappy football day drinkers out there. Yes we have had the worst problems you can imagin with our beer which i am now pleased to say has been sorted out. The total lack of maintaince from the last owners left us mending one problem after another only to find yet another when the pumps got a lot of use on football days. We do not always stock London Pride, we have had very good feedback latley from our beer drinkers because we have been testing so many different ales. We have Old Hooky, Abbots, IPA, spitfire, speckled hen (on draft) and we will be stocking a lot more to cover our football days. Anyone who is not satisfyied with their drinks, i noticed some comments on the fosters should just tell me so i can find and sort the prob and give you a new one. Hope you will give us another try and as for the people that say our beer is watered down, you should see our stock reports, they do them every month and always check spirits and beer are not tampered with. Would be happy to show any of you these. The last game was the 1st one since we had the new system installed for the beer and as far as i know everyone was happy. Thank you to all of you who continue to surport us. Best wishes Danielle and Steve.
  • Options
    Not sure about the larger, but everytime I go there, they always give me a decent pint of Guinness (even get the CAFC badge in the foam).

On matchdays, you can get served quite quickly as well, despite it being packed.

Decent for them to come on here and apologise I think as well

Still my number one pub for a pre-match Guinness, although watch out about standing on the road with your pint. The old bill go mental
  • Options
    Well thats positive! I hope everyone will try you out. I'm gutted as this weekend I'm up in the Borders on a Hen weekend, so will have to send the family to try the ales. Keep trying Royal Oak, us Lifers really want to see you progress xx
  • Options
    Ill have to practise doing the CAFC badge in your foam, it could be out little trademark. Thanks for your comments its a hard game to be in but we do try to put any wrongs you have right so we can keep or regain your custom. Glad your Guinness was good we just had random testing done by Gunness rep that was a 5 out of 5 which we are very proud of. Hope we can get the same rep for our beer. Danielle and Steve.