Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• edited October 2021
    Wanker.  Barclay, not you @carly burn.

I enjoyed the film, Ms AA thought it the best Bond she's ever seen, but that's not why I've got a problem with clause 28 era phobic comments of 'the worlds [sic] biggest Bond fan'.
  • Watched The Guilty on Netflix last night. 

Pretty much a one person film (Jake Gyllenhaal) about a 911 phone operator (with a backstory) trying to coordinate the resolution of a domestic incident. 

Decent. 

• Just watched The Courier. Never knew Peter Varney was such a good actor. Plays the part of the Russian spy really well.
  • edited October 2021
    Watched The Guilty on Netflix last night. 

Pretty much a one person film (Jake Gyllenhaal) about a 911 phone operator (with a backstory) trying to coordinate the resolution of a domestic incident. 

Decent. 

We watched it last night as well, thought it was awful. 

I explained to my wife I had found the film and what it was about and she said "as long as the entire film is not Jake Gyllenhaal on the phone in a room" to which I replied, "don't be stupid, there will be more to it than that!!!

How wrong I was, god it must have taken all of $10,000 to make the film, one room, a couple of no mark actors and Jakes fee.

I gave up after 45 minutes and left her toughing it out, she was not impressed.
  • Saw Free Guy this evening and really enjoyed it. Funny, a movie perfectly fit for 2020s digital gaming consuming World and a bunch of cameo references to please most nerds (like me) out there. Ryan Reynolds was in great form. 8/10
  • Saw the new bond tonight, pretty decent overall. 4x4 chase was a bit silly imho (too easy for JB and a bit of a missed opp) long movie too, not sure about the ending - hope this isn’t a spoiler
  • Watched The Guilty on Netflix last night. 

Decent. 

Didn’t like it . Felt like it was made during lockdown and was too claustrophobic. 5 out of 10  
  • Just watched The Courier. Never knew Peter Varney was such a good actor. Plays the part of the Russian spy really well.
    🤣🤣🤣
    I watched it a few weeks ago too. Thought it was a very good film. Benedict Cumberbatch did a wonderful job. The actor who played the Russian spy was great - he had been in the TV series McMafia. The soundtrack is great, too. 
  • Saw Free Guy this evening and really enjoyed it. Funny, a movie perfectly fit for 2020s digital gaming consuming World and a bunch of cameo references to please most nerds (like me) out there. Ryan Reynolds was in great form. 8/10
    Yeah saw it the other day... Classic Ryan Reynolds performance really

Loved the cameos
  • Went to watch Dune at the cinema last night and loved every bloody second of it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Went to watch Dune at the cinema last night and loved every bloody second of it. 
    Do you need/benefit from reading the book first? I have made a start on it but it's a hefty one, not sure if the film will still be out by the time I finish it. 
  • edited October 2021
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    Went to watch Dune at the cinema last night and loved every bloody second of it. 
    Do you need/benefit from reading the book first? I have made a start on it but it's a hefty one, not sure if the film will still be out by the time I finish it. 
    Don't think you need to have read it. The wife had never but she still really enjoyed it. 

I think it's an added bonus if you have, as you get more background information that's not included in the film. 

Also this film only covers about half of the first book. 
  • Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    Don't think you need to have read it. The wife had never but she still really enjoyed it. 

I think it's an added bonus if you have, as you get more background information that's not included in the film. 

Also this film only covers about half of the first book. 
    Thank you. Actually genuinely enjoying the book but its not exactly light reading! 
  • Saw many saints of Newark tonight. I’m a huge sopranos fan, but it was decidedly average. Some great points (Livia soprano might be the greatest and most evil character ever written) but some terrible (the “actor” who played Silvio was garbage). Too much fan service for my liking. Some laugh out loud classic sopranos humour moments, but others felt shoehorned in. 
  • Saw many saints of Newark tonight. I’m a huge sopranos fan, but it was decidedly average. Some great points (Livia soprano might be the greatest and most evil character ever written) but some terrible (the “actor” who played Silvio was garbage). Too much fan service for my liking. Some laugh out loud classic sopranos humour moments, but others felt shoehorned in. 
    Agreed . Very average. It felt like a prequel of a later prequel. Not a bad film but I was disappointed 
  • For those with Disney+ can I recommend "Summer of Soul" a 2 hour documentary about the Harlem Cultural Festival. In all probability the best music documentary I've ever seen.
  • edited October 2021
    The Green Knight, currently an Amazon new release.

I don't mind slow, thoughtful, even introspective, arty farty movies at all. But this was just a ponderous task to make it to the end. A good looking film but which wasted a decent cast in my view. I also struggled to get past the ominous, mysterious, threatening central character being Finchy from The Office.

Some will like it, I really didn't. 
  • The Green Knight, currently an Amazon New release.

I don't mind slow, thoughtful, even introspective, arty farty movies at all. But this was just a ponderous task to make it to the end. A good looking film but which wasted a decent cast in my view. I also struggled to get past the ominous, mysterious, threatening central character being Finchy from The Office.

Some will like it, I really didn't. 
    I agree. It looked great but I was disappointed with it .
  • Just finished The Green Knight. Erm…yeah….strange one. Not sure what to make of that at all. 
  • I don’t know why I enjoyed The Green Knight as much as I did. It was certainly ballsy and Dev Patel was excellent. I had to read up on it to understand it, which I quite enjoy doing. Maybe I was just in the right mood. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:
    I don’t know why I enjoyed The Green Knight as much as I did. It was certainly ballsy and Dev Patel was excellent. I had to read up on it to understand it, which I quite enjoy doing. Maybe I was just in the right mood. 
    I was looking forward to watching this too and felt a bit underwhelmed in the end. I’ll find out more about it though as there were a couple of parts that intrigued me. 
  • If I’ve watched a film and I have to go and read what it’s all about afterwards, it’s failed in my eyes. 
  • If I’ve watched a film and I have to go and read what it’s all about afterwards, it’s failed in my eyes. 
    Yeah I agree on that for the most part. But then again we have a thousand films that are easy to understand, so when a film demands I work to understand it, if it’s saying something interesting that opens my mind when I do finally get it, then I’m ok with that. Enemy is one of those films. So is Barton Fink. 
  • Score one for Rotten Tomatoes. I was dragged to the cinema to see The Addams Family 2 this afternoon, despite seeing how terrible I was supposed to be. Well the critics got it right - this was utter garbage. The charactees were shallow and unfunny, the plot tiresome and nonsensical, and five minutes in, I found I didn't like anyone in it. My twelve year old daughter liked it, but I didn't hear single chuckle throughout.
    0/10
  • Score one for Rotten Tomatoes. I was dragged to the cinema to see The Addams Family 2 this afternoon, despite seeing how terrible I was supposed to be. Well the critics got it right - this was utter garbage. The charactees were shallow and unfunny, the plot tiresome and nonsensical, and five minutes in, I found I didn't like anyone in it. My twelve year old daughter liked it, but I didn't hear single chuckle throughout.
    0/10
    I had the pleasure(?) of seeing it today. On a par with the first one.
  • Old is weird. 

Dialogue is awful and seems like its written by someone that has never spoken in English before. 
  • Not remotely a new film but been off sick today and decided to watch the original 1978 Halloween. Yes it shows its age nowadays and looks pretty clichéd but in terms of atmosphere and tension it's still much more effective than a lot of modern "gore horror" and doesn't have a stupid musical sting that blatantly screams every time a jump scare is about to happen (my pet peeve).  
  • Went to see Halloween Kills last night and left the cinema slightly disappointed. Although Michael Myers is particularly brutal in this one with an impressive body count the plot is a little thin and some of the dialogue is woeful. If you’re thinking of going to see this on a whim you really have to watch Halloween from 2018 to get the full picture but unless you’re dedicated to the franchise I’d possibly give it a swerve altogether.

The trailer for the new Scream film was pretty good though, will definitely be giving that one a watch.
  • Saw Dune last night. Really enjoyed it but there has to be a part 2 otherwise it ends as a little bit of a damp squib after a cracking first 2 hours. 

Was a 7pm showing at Bluewater but i think I clocked it at 7:38 before the film actually started. Absolutely ridiculous amount of ads shown beforehand 
  • Saw Dune last night. Really enjoyed it but there has to be a part 2 otherwise it ends as a little bit of a damp squib after a cracking first 2 hours. 

Was a 7pm showing at Bluewater but i think I clocked it at 7:38 before the film actually started. Absolutely ridiculous amount of ads shown beforehand 
    The story from the book was deliberately split into 2 parts for 2 films. So that was always the plan.