Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    DA9 said:
    The Two Popes, saw it yesterday, Christopher Pryce is outstanding 
    Yup agreed, Jonathan Pryce is excellent 
  • Options
    Went to watch Jojo Rabbit yesterday with my son (nearly 10). Both laughed at it a lot, couple of difficult bits for him in it and not sure he really got it all but it was better than I expected. 

At least 7 maybe 8/10 for me/us
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Not new but currently watching the Babadook.

jeezus! Think I’ll be sleeping with the bathroom light on tonight!
    That's my film....... glad you like!

We're you behind the distribution of it? 
    A very effective horror film which I recommend to my Year 11 students when doing their horror assessments.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    DA9 said:
    The Two Popes, saw it yesterday, Christopher Pryce is outstanding 
    Yup agreed, Jonathan Pryce is excellent 
    Edited....oops 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    The Gentlemen 

8/10 

Hugh Grant is excellent in it, like steals the show excellent. It isn't going to win any awards but I really enjoyed it. All Guy Ritchie's films look good and this did too. The plot doesn't rip up any trees but serves to move things along well. Colin Farrell also steals every scene he is in 

A lot of dickheads in the screening, some prick was vaping, another couple of slags kept talking to each other to the point I asked them to give it a rest. Also the number of people who piss around with their phones in the cinema would be punished by death if I was to ever be in a seat of power. 

Film was good, audience a sack of cum
    By far the best Ritchie film I've seen and wotth seeing for the performances of Farrell and Grant. Some very funny dialogue.
    Better than Lock Stock and Snatch ?!
    Never seen Lock Stock... and thought Snatch was a dreadful film.
    Snatch Dreadful ?? Blimey . 
    Brad Pitt made it unwatchable for me.
    Rewatched it the other night, still love it and brad pitt is tolerable... but i know what you mean. In fact the whole traveller casting is a bit off tbf. 
    Always think its better to use unknown actors. 
    Cant watch hardy anymore, seems to use the same voice and acting in every film even batman but everyone seems to lap it up.

• Options
    Saw Uncut Gems on Saturday after the game. Takes a little while to see where it’s going but by the end I realised everyone in my row was literally sitting on the edge of their seats. There’s no exposition and it’s intense and easily the best Film Adam Sandler has been in IMO! Worth avoiding the reviews if you can because I definately enjoyed it a lot more knowing very little about it. 
  • Options
    Saw 1917 last night, and agree with the consensus on here. Very enjoyable and cleverly shot film, with tension building constantly.

The big names appear only briefly in cameos, and the casting of less well known actors in the lead roles works well. George MacKay in particular is excellent. 

I agree with the earlier point about it looking sanitised compared to the images of endless mud, blood, dead horses and rats that we expect, but it is set in sunny April weather. 
    I thought the sets were excellent, and the night scenes in the burning town very well done.

A gripping couple of hours, 8/10.
  • Options
    Went to watch Jojo Rabbit yesterday with my son (nearly 10). Both laughed at it a lot, couple of difficult bits for him in it and not sure he really got it all but it was better than I expected. 

At least 7 maybe 8/10 for me/us
    Went to see Jojo Rabbit tonight, thought it was brilliant.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Finally got round to see The Keeper, a recommendation from our German colleague German Addick / Mad German? about the life of Man City keeper, Bert Trautmann, slow start, but got going, didn’t realise the amount of racism he faced, even from his own fans, worth a watch.
  • Options
    Finally got round to see The Keeper, a recommendation from our German colleague German Addick, about the life of Man City keeper, Bert Trautmann, slow start, but got going, didn’t realise the amount of racism he faced, even from his own fans, worth a watch.
    Yeah saw that a little while ago... Bit dragged out at the end I thought but overall was a very good "Football" film
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw '1917' yesterday, very enjoyable film.

If:

-folk arriving up to 20 minutes after the film has started;
    -people looking at their mobiles throughout the film;
    -people constantly getting up and down during the film and then using their phone's torch to find their seat again;
    -people answering their phones during the film;

is your thing, then the Riyadh cinema experience is definitely for you!!!!! 
  • Options

If:

-people constantly getting up and down during the film and then using their phone's torch to find their seat again;

We saw the film on Wednesday in Tunbridge Wells & thoroughly enjoyed it. 

When we've been there before , on a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon ( 2 for 1 Meerkat deal ) we've virtually had the place to ourselves.

However, for this well publicised & successful film, we shared Screen 1 with numerous couples, all of a similar age to ourselves. 

Once the Trailers were done & dusted, silence prevailed until the credits were shown.....except for 1 elderly gent who had trouble unwrapping a sweet - twice ! Probably a Wurthers Original ? 

It certainly makes a difference to your enjoyment when others behave themselves.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

If:

When we've been there before , on a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon ( 2 for 1 Meerkat deal ) we've virtually had the place to ourselves.

However, for this well publicised & successful film, we shared Screen 1 with numerous couples, all of a similar age to ourselves. 

Once the Trailers were done & dusted, silence prevailed until the credits were shown.....except for 1 elderly gent who had trouble unwrapping a sweet - twice ! Probably a Wurthers Original ? 

It certainly makes a difference to your enjoyment when others behave themselves.
    I'll cut the locals' some slack! They've only had cinemas here again since April 2018 (after they were banned in the early 80s). Lot's of new, plush, cinema complexes being built, and I think they're still finding their way as far as cinema etiquette goes!

Long way to go yet, mind you!  :D
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Watched on Netflix, Marriage Story didn't like even though I'm divorced but no kids. What I remember of Kramer vs Kramer much better both story and actors, Hoffman and Streep.

Also watched on Netflix, The Two Popes with Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce, I did enjoy, both fine actors and I think it must have been based on a true story as there was some factual footage.

Seeing Anthony Hopkins made me also revisit, The Fastest Indian, based on a true story and a lovely film.
  • Options

If:

I have the meerkat deal, but I live on my own, my other half lives on the other side of London, if I ordered tickets for her and say her son or a friend on this deal, do I have to be there with the app on my phone etc or could I “gift” them etc?
  • Options
    Watched on Netflix, Marriage Story didn't like even though I'm divorced but no kids. What I remember of Kramer vs Kramer much better both story and actors, Hoffman and Streep.

Also watched on Netflix, The Two Popes with Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce, I did enjoy, both fine actors and I think it must have been based on a true story as there was some factual footage.

Seeing Anthony Hopkins made me also revisit, The Fastest Indian, based on a true story and a lovely film.
    it was, Benedict was in the nazi youth, with some artistic licence on the private conversations 
  • Options

If:

Sounds like the Singapore cinema experience.
  • Options

If:

Sounds like the Singapore cinema experience.
    It's starting to become to british experience too
  • Options
    Disappointed with 1917. Thought it was only the musical score which kept the tension going. Location shots far too sanitised and felt some scenes (i.e. In the cellar with young woman and baby) only added in to pad out the film. Suppose it was OK but not the blockbuster I was expecting. If you were putting 1917 up against, say, Saving Private Ryan as a good war film, it would not even come close.
  • Options
    Watched 1917 last night and loved it.

The way its made to look like one long continuous scene makes the viewer feel like you are experiencing what's happening in real time.  

9 out of 10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:

If:

I have the meerkat deal, but I live on my own, my other half lives on the other side of London, if I ordered tickets for her and say her son or a friend on this deal, do I have to be there with the app on my phone etc or could I “gift” them etc?
    I buy our tickets online using the code for the relevant week , pay by credit card & print off the receipt/booking.

At the cinema, I use the "Collect tickets" machine which only requires putting in the credit card used to buy them, so I'm guessing this would be a problem for you. 

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Saw the visual feast that is 1917. Some of the camera work is fantastic. So good that after a while you are waiting for the next trick in continual shots. No man's land and the German trench system were brilliantly laid out. But all the visual wonder got a little tedious as the film went on. At least they appear to have employed more extras than were in Dunkirk. Can't quite fathom the title of the film as the story is about a (fictionalised) buddy story involving two Tommies on the Somme, not any of the true awful drama played out in Flanders later that year.    
    Re; the extras, some of them were the film crew. They passed the camera to each other.
  • Options
    Got round to seeing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. As with 1917, wonderful camera work. That lovely California sunlight in a late sixties setting. Whilst 1917 is all about pace, this movie is a (very) slow burner although Brad Pitt has never looked finer. Spoiler alert: The alternative history comes at the end when Tarantino finally splurges the blood in a surprising way. Not saying anymore but that dog....! 
  • Options
    Saw Weathering with You yesterday.  Another winner from Makoto Shinkai, who wrote and directed Your Name.  A similar sort of story, but with rain instead of meteors!  Beautifully animated.  
  • Options
    Saw Mean Machine for the first time the other day (guy Ritchie)

It did clear one thing up for me and that is why the other parents in my youngest boys football team call our goalkeeper ' The Monk'
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited January 2020
    Got round to seeing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. As with 1917, wonderful camera work. That lovely California sunlight in a late sixties setting. Whilst 1917 is all about pace, this movie is a (very) slow burner although Brad Pitt has never looked finer. Spoiler alert: The alternative history comes at the end when Tarantino finally splurges the blood in a surprising way. Not saying anymore but that dog....! 
    That 10 minutes or so was probably the bloodiest I’ve ever seen in a film, great film 
  • Options
    Watched Thunder Road at the weekend, that’s a very dark comedy but worth a watch 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Watched Thunder Road at the weekend, that’s a very dark comedy but worth a watch 
    Very strange film - watched it recently. Comedy doesn't get much darker....
  • Options
    Saw Just Mercy over the weekend. Very powerful (true) story about a young lawyer by the name of Bryan Stevenson representing prisoners on death row starring Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx (they were on the Graham Norton show last Friday). A few twists and turns along the way.

Stevenson is now aged 60 and has gone on in his career through his Equal Justice Initiative to save around 130-140 men from the death penalty.

Worth watching.

• Options
    Saw Just Mercy over the weekend. Very powerful (true) story about a young lawyer by the name of Bryan Stevenson representing prisoners on death row starring Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx (they were on the Graham Norton show last Friday). A few twists and turns along the way.

Stevenson is now aged 60 and has gone on in his career through his Equal Justice Initiative to save around 130-140 men from the death penalty.

Worth watching.

Sounds interesting.