Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jacqui Oatley OUT!

I wish I could get paid for doing a really poor job every time I turned up for work but unfortunately I'm neither a civil servant nor Jacqui Oakley.

If anyone doesn't know who Jacqui Oatley is then you've obviously decided to not sign up for CAFCTV player. Oakley is the commentator I've come to dread, she is absolutely awful. I wasn't really keeping track but apart from her dreadful delivery she must have spent three quarters of the time I was listening to her talking about anything other than what was going on during the match.

I wouldn't mind so much is she appeared to have any interest in commentating on football but quite clearly she doesn't. Given that opportunities to listen to match commentary in this league is fairly limited it seems we are stuck with this useless lump of a woman and her constant stream of inane verbal diarrhoea.

Can we start a petition to prevent her from commentating on Charlton games in the future?

Comments

• Options
    We could threaten to cease to subscribe to CAFCTV if she is not removed
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Not sure that all civil servants deserve the comparison with Jacqui. Investment bankers perhaps. They know all about getting money for old rope.
  • Options
    I had the Wycombe commentary on, we went 2-1 up and they said "it's a shame" (after the way they had been playing I think). My mum was in the room and asked why. Told her how the Charlton comentator talks about things other than the football. Switch it over to show and a few seconds in Jacqui Oakley is talking about her tea/coffee.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    But it wasn't Jacqui Oakley commentating on today's match. She's a Canadian artist. It may have been Jacqui Oatley but I think it was Ms Adams.
  • Options
    It was her commentating today - twitter page (interesting about Pleat)

I have to agree, though for me it was more the fact that none of her sentences had full stops. She just seemed to ramble on and on, desperately trying not to stop constructing the same sentence she started 5 minutes beforehand.
    and it seems we're not the only ones who can't stand her either...

Might be a good Would Ya. ;)
  • Options
    Was in the Axe Golden Lion at 16:40 when I heard her voice on BBC1 explaining the winner (Baileys goal).
    Is it possible to Commentate,Twitter & do reports at the same time ?
  • Options
    Okay, I have to admit, only listened to the second half of the commentary - but Jaqui OATLEY wasn't doing the commentary. The woman doing the commentary a) didn't sound like her (nowhere near nasal enough) and b) was referred to several times as Emma by her co-commentator.

Jaqui Oatley is a very annoying commentator, but I fear she's victim of mistaken identity today.
  • Options
    ... but apart from getting the name wrong and the commentator, it was cool thread bro.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]... but apart from getting the name wrong and the commentator, it was cool thread bro.[/quote

LOL!!!]
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley Mike[/cite]It was her commentating today - [url=[url]http://twitter.com/Jacquioatley[/url]]twitter page[/url] (interesting about Pleat)
    Might be a good Would Ya. ;)[/quote]

so http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_02/oatley_468x712.jpg would ya?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley Mike[/cite]It was her commentating today - [url=[url][/url]http://twitter.com/Jacquioatley]twitter page[/url] (interesting about Pleat)
    Might be a good Would Ya. ;)

sohttp://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_02/oatley_468x712.jpgwould ya?

man hands jeeezus christ no i fooking wouldnt look at those hands
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Valley Mike[/cite]It was her commentating today - [url=[url][url][url]http://twitter.com/Jacquioatley[/url][/url][/url]]twitter page[/url] (interesting about Pleat)
    Might be a good Would Ya. ;)[/quote]

so[url][url]http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_02/oatley_468x712.jpg[/url][/url]would ya?[/quote]

man hands jeeezus christ no i fooking wouldnt look at those hands[/quote]

I noticed those hands too!
  • Options
    Okay, I have to admit, only listened to the second half of the commentary - but Jaqui OATLEY wasn't doing the commentary. The woman doing the commentary a) didn't sound like her (nowhere near nasal enough) and b) was referred to several times as Emma by her co-commentator.

Jaqui Oatley is a very annoying commentator, but I fear she's victim of mistaken identity today.
    I have to admit I got the name from the match thread someone mentioned her name as the commentator so thats who I thought it was. If it wasn't her, who was it?
  • Options
    Emma' commentary does my head in. Stilted nonsensical cliches. A real woodentop
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Emma' commentary does my head in. Stilted nonsensical cliches. A real woodentop

I'm with you all the way, Tel. Really irritating.

"But ... you have to ... err ... say ... that ... she .. err ... has managed to ... umm ... adopt ... the ... err ... Jeff ... err... Stelling ... style of ... umm ... commen ...err ... tary ............................beautifully"
  • Options
    Pleat was scouting Nicky Bailey
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Did not hear the commentary but it could be Emma Jones from the BBC London.

I went down to the Valley to photograph this lady for the bbc, must admit I did not engage with her, she sits with Tony Hudd who was assisting her.

The pics are on my flikr account if anyone is interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/52647217@N00/page18/

The Norwich reporter who's picture I used was excellent as I was listerning to him, seemed knowledable and was impressed with Shelvey and gave a good balanced informative account of the match, and although biased towards Norwich ( which is fair enough) concerntrated on the game, not inane crap .

Oakley, I have never met the woman but got terribly precious about having her photo taken for the bbc newspaper that I art edit. So I said forget it!.

In fact she refused to have her photo taken, I got one of the PA photographers to shoot her from the pitch surround with a long lens but thought stuff it.

I think she does the Match of the day community football thing, or she did a couple of weeks ago.

Come bck Mark Mansfield, the best Charlton commentator I have heard!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ellisaddick[/cite]We could threaten to cease to subscribe to CAFCTV if she is not removed

Unlikley to be effective. The company that provides the infrastructure for Charlton Player (PTV) is totally removed from the people appointing the commentator (the BBC), who in any case is primarily there to provide updates for the BBC's various platforms. I was at the game so I can't comment on the commentary, but the BBC will only be interested in whether she did a good job for them rather than on the commentary, assuming they were not broadcasting the latter. The club, on the other hand, gets too little revenue from the whole thing to seriously consider appointing a commentator of its own.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ellisaddick[/cite]We could threaten to cease to subscribe to CAFCTV if she is not removed

Who? Jacqui Oatley or Emma Jones / Adams?

Or Jacqui Oakley even?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Emma' commentary does my head in. Stilted nonsensical cliches. A real woodentop

"But ... you have to ... err ... say ... that ... she .. err ... has managed to ... umm ... adopt ... the ... err ... Jeff ... err... Stelling ... style of ... umm ... commen ...err ... tary ............................beautifully"

I don't know the name, but this sounded like the woman on Radio Kent yesterday, "Charlton in .....possession with...Bailey he... passes it out... wide to.... Richardson whoo... Wycombe have.... won it... back just for... Baily to get... it again...."

It's like she can't talk and think at the same time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Emma' commentary does my head in. Stilted nonsensical cliches. A real woodentop[/quote]

"But ... you have to ... err ... say ... that ... she .. err ... has managed to ... umm ... adopt ... the ... err ... Jeff ... err... Stelling ... style of ... umm ... commen ...err ... tary ............................beautifully"[/quote]

I don't know the name, but this sounded like the woman on Radio Kent yesterday, "Charlton in .....possession with...Bailey he... passes it out... wide to.... Richardson whoo... Wycombe have.... won it... back just for... Baily to get... it again...."

It's like she can't talk and think at the same time.[/quote]

And that is normally a male issue, mind you with hands like that ... she could be!
  • Options
    I have studiously avoided Cafc Player, mostly because the club gets feck all or barely any cash from it(unless I'm very much mistaken) and to pay for the 'honour' of Emma Jones and various other low level non commentators commentating just doesnt enter into the equation,and paying for what was free a few years back is in my view ridiculous. If it wasn't for the Football League's milking of the fans all this Player.tv crap would not exist and all the .tv websites are utter garbage too. I long for a time when the Football League wake up and let clubs negotiate their own deals and allow the clubs themselves to call the shots as it is in the Premier League (it wont happen of course but I can dream!).
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited January 2010
    I have to say that when Emma is commentating I tend to switch off for a while because she is so bloody useless....Erm Charlton have the ball.......now they have given to an ooposition player....Charlton have it back again and the pass goes astray for a throw in, the throw is erm taking quickly, but goes out again off a Charlton erm player......but the referee has disagreed and erm I think he has er given it the other way....Big, big clue Emma.....the numbers on the players backs tie up with those next to the names on the team sheets....and do yourself a huge favour...stop trying to fit in so many bloody inane, and needlessly inappropriate cliches.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Precisely!
    I can undertand that Cafc Player could be a good resource for exiled Addicks but it would be nice if they didn't flagrantly take the piss with sub standard commentators. Perhaps an aspiring commentator/Charlton fan could set up some kind of fans run unofficial rival to Cafc Player?? It would probably be to hard both logistically and technically I suppose.
  • Options
    I switched to the Wycombe commentary after about 10 minutes because the Doris was so bad.

She couldn't string a sentence together without a pause of 5 seconds between each word. She really was shocking, didn't actually talk about what was happening during the game and was more interested in Sams yellow boots.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think generally the standard of football commentary is not as good as it once was, with a few honourable exceptions.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Precisely!
    I can undertand that Cafc Player could be a good resource for exiled Addicks but it would be nice if they didn't flagrantly take the piss with sub standard commentators. Perhaps an aspiring commentator/Charlton fan could set up some kind of fans run unofficial rival to Cafc Player?? It would probably be to hard both logistically and technically I suppose.

Indeed Pilch, CAFCTV is a godsend for me, but as I often mention in my blog Emma is absolutely pitiful (her photo ain't much better Ken tbh). She is a good 4-5 seconds behind play and as a radio commentator her job is to bring the game alive in a listeners mind. I don't expect John Motson but at least someone who is capable of describing what is happening in front of them, preferably at the same time. The game, football that is, moves too fast for her and I have written to the BBC to see if they could move her to crown bowls.

I remember as the game went into injury time at the Swindon match, she started to recap the game's events and then suddenly the crowd was going wild and she pipes up: "Oh, Charlton have scored." Sorry, you've got me going now....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Precisely!

Cannot be done as Premium TV (or whatever they are called) have the internet rights.

Club is in a lose/lose situation here. Criticised because they didn't provide Internet match day coverage, criticised when they do. Though I agree with the comments about the suitability of some commentators. Pity that a certain SuperClive doesn't get a chance to do it for the BBC, after all Billy Reeves is a Brentford fan.

I think the BBC contract ends in the summer. Unfortunately we don't have a local station any more because of someone who shouldn't be allowed to run Radio stations.
  • Options
    Jacqui Oatley:

Emma Jones:

"i wouldnt mind jacqui getting them out even tho she has a touch of the heather mills about her.. As for Emma.... well there is a phrase for such people as Chris Moyles and Danny Baker.. Perfect face for radio.."

"Thanks Amanda, now over to you Simon"

• Options
    Emma Jones looks as bad as she sounds.