Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help for Heroes

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
We got there in the end.

Credit belongs to Paul Ellison, who has been working on this for some time.

Comments

• Options
    Well done to all involved in getting this sorted.

Great cause, and a good chance to say "cheers lads and lasses".
  • Options
    Well done all.......and nice one John Alliston !!
  • Options
    just a reminder:

http://www.216squadron.com/

BEER FOR THE BOYS !
  • Options
    Fantastic work and well done to John Alliston, of Melray for his great gesture.
  • Options
    another example along with the street violence and upbeats team of why CAFC should be proud of it's work in the community

well done Paul Elliston
  • Options
    Well done to all that got this sorted.
    Will be great see them and say, Thank You.
  • Options
    Well done tothose involved. Good air time being on the box as well.

as you say Airman "we got there in the end".
  • Options
    Brilliant !
    Well done to all involved, and Dig Deep on the night.
  • Options
    Quality.

Well done to all involved. Should make for an extra special monday night.
  • Options
    Well Done Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to see, hopefully get a large crowd and raise a fair bit of cash
  • Options
    Very pleased to hear of this!

Well done to the Woolwich Barrack's and Paul Ellison.
  • Options
    I won't be supporting it. Sits very uneasy with me. "Serving to protect our country"? I don't think so.
  • Options
    A great decision on so many levels by the club. Great idea, fair play.

I see what AshTray is saying, but that's a decision made by politicians, not the soldiers whose lives are put at risk.
  • Options
    Brilliant news for a fantastic charity and a chance to thank our forces - regardless of whether you support the war(s).
  • Options
    Great stuff, I will certainly let them know i'm proud of each and every one of them
  • Options
    Just to pick up on Ashtray's point

These guys join up to serve there country in some way - they can't pick and choose their wars based on a personal viewpoint. If they get sent somewhere to fight, they have to get on with it - or resign from the armed forces.

We need to give moral support to our frontline troops, whilst lobbying our polititians about the senseless waste of lives and resources.

Make sure you use your vote in the 2010 election.
  • Options
    Up the troops!!
  • Options
    Valiantphil agreed surely people know this without you explaining

Oh well
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]Just to pick up on Ashtray's point

These guys join up to serve there country in some way - they can't pick and choose their wars based on a personal viewpoint. If they get sent somewhere to fight, they have to get on with it - or resign from the armed forces.

We need to give moral support to our frontline troops, whilst lobbying our polititians about the senseless waste of lives and resources.

Nail on the head VP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As others have intimated there is a very important distinction between unjustified criticism of brave soldiers doing their jobs and justified criticism of the dubious morality of both the Afghan and Iraq wars.

Those brave soldiers are lions led by donkeys.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I'm not sure why people join the armed forces, some to serve their country perhaps but I suspect that most join up for other reasons - mainly economic. It would be interesting to see if there's any research on that.
    I don't agree that we "need" to give any sort of support to the troops apart from paying taxes to pay their wages, the sentimentalisation of them is not right in my opinion.
    If the club want to give to them in some way that is up to them but I think there are more worthy causes than this.
  • Options
    Am sure there are many reasons why people join up but regardless they are asked, and expected, to put their lives in peril by our country.

don't doubt that if a soldier said "I don't fancy this fighting bit, I only joined for the travel" he or she would be called a fool if not worse.

I agree that sometimes there is a degree of over "sentimentalisation" but is that not to be expected when young men and women are coming home in coffins.

As Kipling said "O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away"; But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play"

Regardless I'm glad that Charlton are doing this. Those that don't want to contribute financially or by applauding are fully entitled to do so. It's not as if Charlton don't help many other very worthy causes where those people's money can go instead.
  • Options
    There is an argument against the war in Afghanistan.

There is an argument that if you join the armed services then you must expect to fight and possibly have to kill or be killed.

I have sympathy with both these arguments but I will still applaud our troops for their bravery and sacrifice.

Well done CAFC and those who organised this.
  • Options
    Alot of people join the army to gain a career. Many leave school with no qualifications and decide to join the armed forces. The spectrum of skills you can learn in the forces is astounding, as i found out when applying for the RAF as a cartographer.

But in regards to next Monday night...

the special guests at the game will be Chelsea pensioners, troops and carers from the Headley Court rehabilitation

These are the people being officially recognised at the Valley. They are hero's and there is no argument against that.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Alot of people join the army to gain a career. Many leave school with no qualifications and decide to join the armed forces. The spectrum of skills you can learn in the forces is astounding, as i found out when applying for the RAF as a cartographer.

[i][b]the special guests at the game will be Chelsea pensioners, troops and carers from the Headley Court rehabilitation[/b][/i]

These are the people being officially recognised at the Valley. They are hero's and there is no argument against that.[/quote]

Well there is actually, Chelsea pensioners are old soldiers not necessarily heroes, and those from Headley Court are injured soldiers, again not necessarily heroes.
    Goes back to my point about over sentimentelising veterans - some are heroes, most aren't. The mix includes all types of people from your heroes to cowards, honest joes to criminals etc. They are people that's all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Alot of people join the army to gain a career. Many leave school with no qualifications and decide to join the armed forces. The spectrum of skills you can learn in the forces is astounding, as i found out when applying for the RAF as a cartographer.

the special guests at the game will be Chelsea pensioners, troops and carers from the Headley Court rehabilitation

These are the people being officially recognised at the Valley. They are hero's and there is no argument against that.

Isn't it 'next Monday week' rather than 'next Monday night'?
    Or are we playing two nights in a row?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Alot of people join the army to gain a career. Many leave school with no qualifications and decide to join the armed forces. The spectrum of skills you can learn in the forces is astounding, as i found out when applying for the RAF as a cartographer.

Well there is actually, Chelsea pensioners are old soldiers not necessarily heroes, and those from Headley Court are injured soldiers, again not necessarily heroes.
    Goes back to my point about over sentimentelising veterans - some are heroes, most aren't. The mix includes all types of people from your heroes to cowards, honest joes to criminals etc. They are people that's all.

You make it sound like we are gonna lay on the floor and let them walk on us. Its simply a way of showing our gratitude (if you have any) for the excellent work these people do.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: wickford[/cite]

Isn't it 'next Monday week' rather than 'next Monday night'?
    Or are we playing two nights in a row?

You know what i meant. And if it was two nights in a row wouldnt it be monday and tuesday?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]

I'm not sure why people join the armed forces, some to serve their country perhaps but I suspect that most join up for other reasons - mainly economic. It would be interesting to see if there's any research on that.
    I don't agree that we "need" to give any sort of support to the troops apart from paying taxes to pay their wages, the sentimentalisation of them is not right in my opinion.
    If the club want to give to them in some way that is up to them but I think there are more worthy causes than this.

I feel it over-simpifies things if we just take a taxes/wages view. We all know that just because you pay for some kind of service, it doesn't mean it is going to be of the quality/standard we expect. I once heard a guy say to a cop " I pay your wages", only for the cop to reply " well in that case I want a payrise".

We will also know of situations where a simple thank you or a show of interest has improved a regular service in some way.

Some servicemen/women are being told to change out of uniform before using public transport in the UK, yet cowboy car-clampers and hate-preachers go about their affairs unhindered.

Tha armed forces are not only about fighting though - I heard only a few days ago that the army were on standby in Kent to get ambulances through the snow, and many will remember soldiers working as firefighters in times gone past. Not to mention air/sea rescue copters and the sandbagging work that the army did during the floods of 2008.

The armed forces are similar to the police service, in that, we will only get the quality that we deserve based on the standards we (the public) set.
    To simply say that "we pay for it, and if you don't like war don't join" doesn't work if we run out of recruits.

Sorry if it sounds a bit preachy, but I have had this talk with quite a few people lately - who are angry at the war.