Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Response to When The Robin Stopped Bobbing: Book Review

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
Hi

Following quite a response to the News Shoppers book review on another thread, I feel as though there are one or two things I would like to clear up, especially as I did ask for any feedback when I began to publicise the book.

The main thing that has come from the book surrounds the errors, as the book was self published I did in fact hire a proof reader/editor and unfortunately they did not do their job to a satisfactory standard. I know it is a big if, but if the book sells out in the club shop, I am planning on a re print where the errors will be cut out. Also as the publishing company did not completely do their job, we are hoping that for any potential re print we will be able to use the current cover free of charge as a form of compensation. I apologize for the errors though, of course I wrote it so the responsibility lies with me.

I also apologize for the factual errors such as the opera singers and Mark Robson, Les Reed appointments. If people think that this undermines the project in any way, fair enough.

The Diawara debate is something that will divide many Charlton fans, my opinion is that yes he was awful at the start but as many foreign players do he took time to settle and I thought that by February 2007, he started to look the part and if we had stayed up, he would have been a real asset. This like many things I wrote, is only an opinion and one that some will share, some will not. The book would be almost pointless IMHO if everyone agreed with every word.

Finally in the review, it says I liked Pardew and I prepare to be shot at when I say I did. Certainly until the last few months when I think everyone despised him. Looking back I realise i was wrong as he was generally terrible in many aspects. Nevertheless he nearly kept us up and did some good things, game of opinions etc.

Ok that it is it. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Mate don't let pedantic idiots stop you from doing what you want. Hats off to you fella for all your work.
    For someone to say a couple of factual errors undermine your effort is just pathetic.
  • Options
    Authors having opinions in their own books isn't something that's ever likely to be acceptable. It's barely accepted on an internet forum. All the best to you, I still intend to pick up a copy. For what it's worth I agree completely on Diawara (and his progress since leaving us suggests that we weren't both totally off beam) and probably won't agree with much of what you say about Pardew, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in your opinion and the rationale behind it.
  • Options
    I agree with you regards to Diawara he was a top defender, yes he did struggle at first, but as the season went on he got better. He would play brilliant one week then the next Pardew would drop him, another reason Pardew was shit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]........probably won't agree with much of what you say about Pardew, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in your opinion and the rationale behind it.

That's why we read books - to find out an author's opinion or perspective on the subject.
    We don't have to agree with him, just a little thought provoking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Mate don't let pedantic idiots stop you from doing what you want. Hats off to you fella for all your work.
    For someone to say a couple of factual errors undermine your effort is just pathetic.
    I don't think anyone said that they did. Some people are pedants though, and like factual stuff to be right, and will say if it isn't!

Gutted for you re the proofreader's efforts - it would really pi$$ me off if they'd failed to do the job properly for me.

I agree in the main with your Diawara argument too, Dan. And see where you're coming from with Pardew - he turned around our season in the Prem, but not quite in time. As far as I know, Pardew was keen on the opera singer return, so can see where you were coming from there.

Having failed to get one in my stocking, I intend to buy it for myself and look forward to reading :) Any book that stirs debate is a good one in my eyes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Mate don't let pedantic idiots stop you from doing what you want. Hats off to you fella for all your work.
    I don't think anyone said that they did.

Well they did mate, and you quoted them too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]
    I don't think anyone said that they did.

Well they did mate, and you quoted them too.
    I don't think Henry said it undermined the effort though, just that it 'took away' from it in some way.
  • Options
    Now you're being pedantic......
  • Options
    I can see both sides of this. I haven't read the book, but the review seems well-balanced to me and to take into account the fact that the author isn't experienced or backed by a large publishing concern. It's reasonable to point out if it falls below these professional standards and there's not much point in a review that glosses over this, since a review should inform prospective purchasers of what to expect. On the other hand, I know you have to be very self-motivated to get to the stage of publishing a book and to do so at 20 is a considerable achievement, whether or not it's perfect.

Books are expected to have a higher level of accuracy, grammatical and factual, than journalism because of the time frame in which they are produced. Seeking that level of quality isn't pedantry, because if the things you know about are not correct then what confidence can you have in anything you discover from reading it.
  • Options
    What were the factual errors?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Now you're being pedantic......
    I am a pedant, it's true.
  • Options
    Those are fair comments Airman. I've not read the book either, and as a labour of love rather than a full-time occupation it is forgivable to make a few errors. However, as it is a book of opinions it is important, imo, that the factual content is sound, otherwise it can heavily undermine the author's arguments, especially if they are based on any of the factual inaccuracies. It's certainly not pedantic to point that out - it's constructive criticism.

It's a bit of a hobby horse of mine in fact - anyone who, these days, expects people to do a proper job is accused of being a perfectionist or a pedant. Your proof reader would seem to be a perfect example of the shi**y standards of work people seem to be able to get away with all too easily.

Credit to you though Dan for getting off your 'arris and trying to do something constructive with yourself and your time. I know plenty of people of your age and a lot older who'd never have the self discipline to get past the first hundred words or so - some of them probably don't even know a hundred different words - let alone write a whole book.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Whatever the rights and wrongs of the criticisms I couldn't write a book at 20 or now. I simply wouldn't know how to go about it even if I had anything worthwhile to say. I suspect that I am not alone either on this forum so perhaps some of the nitpicking should be tempered by that thought.

EDIT: I exempt the good Airman from that as he has been there and done it.

All credit to Dan for his gumption at such a young age.
  • Options
    Congratulations on writing it and getting it published. Must be a good feeling.

Re: Diawara - Certainly didn't help that our chairman decided to slag him off publically. Should NEVER have happened.
  • Options
    You'll always get someone having a pop. Just pick out the constructive stuff and learn from it and take the rest with a pinch of salt (if there's any left!).

As Len said, well done for your efforts, especially at your age.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dan, I think it's a brillant effort to actually write the book - and get it published at your own expense.
    Nice work!

Maybe there are some imperfections and grammatical errors; many people love to pounce on these and make their point - constructive criticsm is fine, but don't let it detract from the story you're telling.

You've written a book about Charlton ........ the Charlton story of those few years seen from your own personal perspective.

And that in itself will make your book a good read.
  • Options
    Well said Oggy. Will be great to look back on in 20 or 30 years and remember how it was for those few seasons.
  • Options
    It is currently on my to buy list, will be reading your work soon danny boy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Well said Oggy. Will be great to look back on in 20 or 30 years and remember how it was for those few seasons.

And lets all hope it "was" just for a few seasons.
  • Options
    Little bump for this.

On the last chapter now. Aside from the previously mentioned grammatcial errors etc it's been a very good read. Definitely brings back some memories, including some things I couldn't even remember, and Dan's opinion is very fair throughout.

A very recommended read.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers Ross