Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alexander Song

Has really developed into a class player, a joy to watch.

Comments

• Options
    Indeed despite lot of Arsenal fans being glad he was sent on loan to us 'cos they thought he was useless and would never make it.

Clearly learnt a lot from playing with us.
  • Options
    Although playing in a poor CAFC side, I always thought he looked quality when with us. Always seemed to be composed and
    have more time than he actually did.
  • Options
    He got a bit of stick when he was with us but I always thought he had the makings of a very good player. It amazes me how the Arsenal coaches do it, all their players look so comfortable on the ball, even their 'stoppers' would put many more attacking players to shame at other clubs.
  • Options
    Probably also helped by the fact that he has an old head on young shoulders and is very much a family man as evidenced by the fact that he married at 18 and already has two children at the age of 22.

No flashy Nightclubs for Alex.
  • Options
    a good example of how quick some ppl are to write off players.

Think he was 17 or 18 when he played for us but fans of both clubs were ready to judge him.
  • Options
    i judged him as pure class from the first game he played at old trafford for us
  • Options
    Always remember that Charlton v Reading match at The Valley - when Song, having already been booked, then caught a player late and was in serious doo-doo.

That was when Graham Poll the referee, went to the touchline and asked Pardew to substitute Song, as there would be no alternative but to red card him for one more foul.

I was so impressed that Graham Poll, of all referees, would take such a sensitive and sensible course of action dealing with a very young and inexperienced player.

Reading of course were furious that Song hadn't been sent off and Charlton reduced to 10 men.
  • Options
    Was a joy to watch in a Charlton shirt and has led to me tuning into Arsenal matches whenever the opportunity presents itself...
  • Options
    I liked him from day one, but I have to admit I am surprised at how quickly he has nailed a first team spot with the Gooners
  • Options
    How come he is not in the Africa Cup of nations?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Always remember that Charlton v Reading match at The Valley - when Song, having already been booked, then caught a player late and was in serious doo-doo.

That was when Graham Poll the referee, went to the touchline and asked Pardew to substitute Song, as there would be no alternative but to red card him for one more foul.

I was so impressed that Graham Poll, of all referees, would take such a sensitive and sensible course of action dealing with a very young and inexperienced player.

Reading of course were furious that Song hadn't been sent off and Charlton reduced to 10 men.

I remember that well, Poll did well that day.

Song always was class for us and I knew he'd go on to be even better...
  • Options
    I am really pleased for him. I remember a lot of Arsenal fans I knew telling me he was never going to be good enough for them. I must admit I thought he was steady for us without been outstanding. I have watched the last 3 or 4 Arsenal games on telly and he seems to hardly put a foot wrong breaking up attacks around the half way line and making incisive passes on the edge of the opponents penalty box. If he added goals to his repertoire he would be truly world class.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]a good example of how quick some ppl are to write off players.

Think he was 17 or 18 when he played for us but fans of both clubs were ready to judge him.
    Do kind of find it funny how all we heard from Arsenal fans was that he was poor, not going to make it etc.

Agree with others that said he looked good for us, he just lacked consistency but that has come on with experience. Playing with better players helps as well, was a lot to ask of him at 19 to play as well as he did every game in our poor side.

Pleased for him as I thought although he might not make it at Arsenal, he'd do well for another Premier League club. Good to see he's kept going, improved and broken into their side. Now an important player for them.
  • Options
    Still only 22 as well. Not sure goals will ever really flow from Alex though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]How come he is not in the Africa Cup of nations?

He is. But the manager of Cameroon is French and a good friend of Wenger so has allowed him to delay his departure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]How come he is not in the Africa Cup of nations?

he goes after todays game
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Always remember that Charlton v Reading match at The Valley - when Song, having already been booked, then caught a player late and was in serious doo-doo.

Reading of course were furious that Song hadn't been sent off and Charlton reduced to 10 men.[/quote]

I remember that well, Poll did well that day.

Song always was class for us and I knew he'd go on to be even better...[/quote]

Stone wall penalty from El Kak at the end as well.
  • Options
    Did we ever try and sign him? He seemed so far down the Arsenal pecking order at the time that a reasonable bid must have been tempting to Arsene. The only decent defensive midfielder we've had since Parker left imo.
  • Options
    Was a class act with us and had we him the whole season we would have stayed up.
  • Options
    a friend of mine said that he just picked up a nice porsche where she works although she did say interior is orange and looks like liquorice allsorts

when we had him was by far our best player, but he has suprised me how he is outshining many of arsenals players and i didnt think he could cut it in there first team but tbf he has proved me wrong well done to the lad!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always looked classy playing for us but I never thought he would end up a regular at Arsenal. Good luck to the lad.
  • Options
    Good goal Arsenal at the weekend, but whats going on with his hair .... the new black Harpo MarX?
  • Options
    Quality player.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Good goal Arsenal at the weekend, but whats going on with his hair .... the new black Harpo MarX?

Agree, Kap - looks like he's stuck his head in a bucket of bleach...!
  • Options
    It's his hair ... I'd worry about yo'selves
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]It's his hair ... I'd worry about yo'selves

I ain't got enough to worry about, so if I want to worry about hair I have to choose someone else