Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Whyte

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
Hi guys, Happy new year everyone!

I know there has been some conversation on this subject in the past, but does anyone know what ever happenned to that floored genius that used to play for us, David Whyte. Whats he up to these days?

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    saw him at my gym in ladywell park round year ago,they were going to throw him out for not paying,told them he was a ex charlton player,when they saw him on pitch outside kicking up a small ball with tricks they believed!! had a brief chat but he seemed disintrested,was seeing him round catford but not of late,upsetting really
  • Options
    he's now a Charlton Director :)
  • Options
    Sadly, 'floored' may be an appropriate adjective for this flawed genius.
  • Options
    has a history of mental health problems
  • Options
    oh thats very sad to here. I have memories of some of his silky skills when i was about 16 at the Valley. You see much less talented players than him playing for Man u, Liverpool and even England etc each week. What a waste of talent. How did he end up getting kicked out by Southend United?

http://archive.gazette-news.co.uk/1999/9/29/214121.html
  • Options
    I think he also got involved in a somewhat obscure (and possibly unscrupulous) religious set up..............though I'm not 100% certain of that, I just seem to remember something along those lines anyway.
  • Options
    never heard that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]never heard that.

Yeah, the more I think of it the more I think I'm right, they lived in a large house in Bargery/Inchmery or Calendar Rd off Bromley Road in Catford.
  • Options
    i lived on bargery,saw him last not far from inchemery near the co op .mentioned hes goals agaisnt leicester to him at the gym,was he good or what that day?
  • Options
    A naturally talented player but mentally unhinged I believe. His timekeeping I once heard was shocking. Last I knew he was living in Catford as SoundAs and Nolly mentioned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    when i think of the rubbish we have had pretending to be strikers its nice to think of whyte a proper striker.
  • Options
    which leicester game are you talking about, i don't recall off the top of my head. remember that superb free kick in the last min against brentford, and a couple of great lobs against swindon and watford
  • Options
    might be wrong i thought he scored at upton park when they brought all those fans,might have been another team
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Remember that he didn't turn up for training one day and someone was sent from the training ground(could it have been Bill Gallagher?) to try to locate him in Catford.
    The guy(Bill?), somehow got into the house(the one I mentioned earlier) and found him hiding in a cupboard under the stairs!!
  • Options
    you might be right i only started going in 1993 so only saw him when he played for us 1994 - 1997, maybe that leicester game was when he had that loan spell
  • Options
    im probably wrong.
  • Options
    You're not, he played for us on loan in the 91/92 season and scored the second against Leicester at Upton Park. Took it around a couple of defenders if I remember rightly.....

I've heard that he's had some serious problems too.
  • Options
    I used to see him in my snooker club with his old man - Rileys in Catford.

It's now some born again church of new wine, or something. Don' t suppose they still serve light ale.
  • Options
    It's called "Have you seen the light ale" ;)
  • Options
    I will never forget his 40 yarder at the valley against Watford. They were playing a high defensive off-side and the ball was played up to Whytie on his own just inside their half. He latched onto the ball, hit it first time and sent it screaming over their keeper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i think the poor lad had chemical demnons as well as ale
  • Options
    it wasnt screaming over the keeper, he just nonchalantly lifted it over him, pure class.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I think he also got involved in a somewhat obscure (and possibly unscrupulous) religious set up...............[/quote]

He posts on here?

Is he OohAah or Henry Irving??
  • Options
    How about the Leicester City match at Upton park?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i think the poor lad had chemical demnons as well as ale

Not sure that his problems were induced by either of those (maybe made worse). I understood he 'simply'( if that's the right word to use) had mental health issues.
  • Options
    Just been reading Left Foot Forward again, have there been any further David Whyte sightings?
  • Options
    Remember the game against Leicester City very well. They were going up and we were in with a good chance to snatch a play-off spot. They had the whole away end(south bank)and the entire chicken run side.

We absolutely slaughtered them on the pitch and scored 2 great first half goals in the space of a couple of minutes to put them out of the game. Robert Lee(I think)scored a low drive into the corner and then David Whyte danced through their defence and around the keeper to score a classy second.

Just to cap off a memorable day for us Bob Bolder saved a late penalty too.

The only blot came with the announcement that the attendance was 15,000(my arse). At that time Upton Park was mostly terraces and held around 34,000. The ground was packed, Leicester had about 10,15,000 on their own. I would love to know where they could have put another 20,000 in that ground?

That win put us in with a great chance of the play-offs with 2 games left but in typical Charlton fashion we then lost 0.1 to Tranmere at Upton Park on the Tuesday after and then 0.1 to Bristol Rovers at Twerton Park on the final day.
  • Options
    Indeed, the score line was even more comforting after they invaded the pitch before the game.
  • Options
    The only blot came with the announcement that the attendance was 15,000(my arse). At that time Upton Park was mostly terraces and held around 34,000. The ground was packed, Leicester had about 10,15,000 on their own. I would love to know where they could have put another 20,000 in that ground?

The story at the time suggested that more Leicester fans turned up than were expected and many were let in free because there weren't enough turnstiles open.