Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
I went to see this a couple of days ago.

Let me preface my remarks by saying that my 10 year old son absolutely loved it and gave it an 11/10. It appealed to him on a number of levels. The mix of fantasy and reality within the film, the fighting scenes, the special effects, the energy.

For my part, whilst I enjoyed it and the effects are brilliant I felt the underlying story was rather formulaic and didn't push the boundaries as much as the effects did.

Essentially this struck me as being a very thinly disguised story about the American Indians v The Big Bad Western Invader.

The tribe who are the centre of the story fight with bows and arrows, they are in tune with nature, they have rights of passage, even the language seemed similar in sound to American Indian.

Against them were the invaders with their fire sticks, driven by economic exploitation of the land.

Without giving the plot away it was a rather predicable story with a predictable ending.

So I'd give it 10/10 for effects but only 3/10 for the story.

Comments

• Options
    Of course the storyline is a bit thin - I expected that. I had problems trying to persuade my wife to try to see round that. I normally don't go for this type of film but nevertheless I consider it a breakthrough in cinematic history.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited January 2010
    I'd agree with that Bing, fantastic effects - You have to see it in 3D to appreciate it fully though. Plot was predictable and saw everything coming. Alex gave it 10/10, he's 11. I guess it was kind of like that for us when we saw Star Wars for the first time.

Did try and book for the IMAX at Greenwich but it was sold out for all the showings we wanted.

Yesterday we went to see Planet 51 to keep Harry happy. Oh dear!
  • Options
    Also agree with bing over the storyline however I think that this film cost so much to make it was essential that the film had a very broad appeal in order to recoup the amazing costs in its production. Had the story been too obscure or avant garde then I believe there would have been a serious risk that Avatar would have made a loss. I was more than happy to sit through a thin storyline just to be able to enjoy the stunning beauty of the film. 10/10 from me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]You have to see it in 3D to appreciate it fully though.

Absolutely. I saw it at the Odeon, Leicester Square and the sound was as equally impressive. Plus it helps to have over 1000 people in the cinema imo.
  • Options
    Right I'm off to see it now, gone for the 3D one, although I've always found it a pretty pointless medium. Seems to encourage perfectly good directors to throw in a bunch of pointless, predictable shots. Oh look somebody is pointing at the camera or shooting an arrow right at me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Also agree with bing over the storyline however I think that this film cost so much to make it was essential that the film had a very broad appeal in order to recoup the amazing costs in its production. Had the story been too obscure or avant garde then I believe there would have been a serious risk that Avatar would have made a loss. I was more than happy to sit through a thin storyline just to be able to enjoy the stunning beauty of the film. 10/10 from me.

I'm not sure, it doesn't have to be a masterpiece of a storyline but I was hoping for a little more characterisation. Cameron's previous films like Terminator 2 and Titanic had great effects, but a great storyline to back it up, and you need that to ensure longevity once the 'wow' factor has dimmed. Ok so in Titanic they spent 200 million sinking a giant boat, but it was the love story between Kate and Jack that gave it enduring appeal and raked in the 1.8 billion. The Avatar characters were pretty lifeless imo, and the storyline passed up so many interesting opportunities such as the effect on the marine of living this dual life. I didn't expect a probing analysis into the concept of what is truly real, but I think they could have squeezed a little bit of thoughtful stuff into such a long running time.

I can't see family's crowding around the TV to watch Avatar at Christmas in 10 years time, because once you've seen the effects you've seen it all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

Essentially this struck me as being a very thinly disguised story about the American Indians v The Big Bad Western Invader.

It's been given the nickname 'Dancing with Smurfs', which is very apt
  • Options
    Agree with Bing. Special effects make it a must see film. Probably worth paying the extra for 3D.
  • Options
    I saw it in 2D. To be honest I have left eye dominant vision and have such poor vision in my right eye that I don't get the full on 3D effects any way. Whilst I understand the wow factor that 3D brings, I still think that a decent story is vital. This wasn't a terrible story. It was just very safe anf formulaic.
  • Options
    As for Cameron's previous work T2 is my favourite by some way of the series. Titanic on the other hand was amazing special effects but I hated the love story which went on far too long and I kept thinking "when is the bloody boat going to hit the iceberg"!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny, I hate action films and sci-fi, but I really enjoyed this. The vision of the new planet was excellent, although I'm slightly less sold on the effects as everyone else, it was a bunch of CGI, and looked like a video game at times. I'd agree that the plot was pretty painting by numbers, but a lot of good films have been. The 3D was the best I've seen, but it's about time that directors got used to the fact that greatly improved 3D is here now so they don't have to swish pointers at the screen at every opportunity. It actually worked best in the scenes where it wasn't trying too hard to scream I'M IN 3D in your face. For way too many movies the 3D is just an add on at the end (a couple of pointers and some snow, usually) to justify skinning a couple of extra quid out the audience - the spinning bow tie was invented to distract people's attention while their pockets were being picked. That said, Avatar hints that there might actually be a point to the technology, but the jury's still a bit out for me.

One thing Bing, I've got one lazy fu*ker of an eye and it works fine for me. The old style (crappy) red/green glasses weren't so great, but the new glasses don't give me the same issue. If you've not tried them, you might want to give them a go.
  • Options
    I enjoyed it, even with its native american overtones, called on 5 Live smurfahontas.

Interesting trying to indentify the different films etc that the film had dervied its component parts from, so far Lord of the Rings, matrix, covers of Yes Albums, Bury my heart on wounded knee, platoon etc,..
  • Options
    I loved it.....hated the baddies, loved the goodies.....great effects and well worth seeing in 3D
  • Options
    We saw it tonight, thought it was quite depressing to see the queues of people queuing at the o2, is this the type of film people want to see? Effects but no plot or feeling . 4/10 for ne felt like I was in a computer game maybe I am too old
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just came back from this. Was completely astounded by the 3d. The future of cinema if I ever saw it.

edit- Oh, and Zoe Saldana put in an excellent peformance I thought.
  • Options
    Saw it this week. Meh.

It's beautiful, but vacuous and hollow. If anything it was TOO colourful at times - almost nauseating. However, the 3D was awesomely realised - but still nothing more than a gimmick. Until I see it used in a proper, 'immersive' way, it'll always just be a gimmick to me. 2/10 for the story, 7/10 for the visuals. If I hadn't seen it in imax I would have been pissed - it would have been a serious let-down. As it was, it was OK - and I'd imagine if you;re a kid it's frickin' awesome. Jaded as I am though, it was nothing more than 'OK'.
  • Options
    Marmite
  • Options
    Saw it last week and thought it was ok. Unfortunately some people think great effects constitutes a great film.

Thought the story tried to ram the global warming and destruction of our earth message down my throat at times, which iritated me.

Give me a thriller like Se7en any day over this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]We saw it tonight, thought it was quite depressing to see the queues of people queuing at the o2, is this the type of film people want to see? Effects but no plot or feeling . 4/10 for ne felt like I was in a computer game maybe I am too old

Todays world in a nutshell kimbo. (Supposed) Style over substance every time, in all apsects of life - from the plastic pub to the plastic football teams that dominate the TV schedules, to the plastic trainers that mugs pay £100 for...

That said, I enjoyed the film, despite the obvious plot and the ultra-sterotype characters.

What does that say about me?
  • Options
    Same as me I guess, as I feel exactly the same way. It's a shame that Cameron felt the need to make a film that plots everything out so the dumbest thicko can get all the references (LET'S GO GET THE UNOBTANIUM FROM PANDORA), but it's a universal good vs evil story, so it's kind of like a roller coaster. It's not going to broaden your horizons having a go, but it's fun anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2010
    saw this yesterday with NLJR we both walked out of there saying wow i have watched the best special effects (or whatever it is called now) ever totalled gripped from start to finish, the story was cracking for a 12a the 3D visual sensation that this film gave me and little joe was nothing short of mindblowing

proper little boys film to watch with their dad i thought transformers blew me away, if you have a little un go and see it and really enjoy it for what it is, a tale of make believe made in a way that only Holywood can

10 out of 10

i wanna be one of those blue fellas
  • Options
    i wanna be one of those blue fellas

Just tie your scarf a little tighter then.
  • Options
    Cameron has done well with this independent low budget effort, but he is no Mike Leigh.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]saw this yesterday with NLJR we both walked out of there saying wow i have watched the best special effects (or whatever it is called now) ever totalled gripped from start to finish, the story was cracking for a 12a the 3D visual sensation that this film gave me and little joe was nothing short of mindblowing

proper little boys film to watch with their dad i thought transformers blew me away, if you have a little un go and see it and really enjoy it for what it is, a tale of make believe made in a way that only Holywood can

10 out of 10

i wanna be one of those blue fellas[/quote]

I thoroughly enjoyed it, took my little boy too .. well little in the sense of 22 years old
  • Options
    This is brilliant:

epic-fail-avatar-plot-fail.jpg
  • Options
    Obviously, the storyline was a 'by numbers' approach, but I saw it in 3D and the visuals were nothing short of stunning. I really enjoyed it for what it was - a blockbuster.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]We saw it tonight, thought it was quite depressing to see the queues of people queuing at the o2, is this the type of film people want to see? Effects but no plot or feeling . 4/10 for ne felt like I was in a computer game maybe I am too old

Todays world in a nutshell kimbo. (Supposed) Style over substance every time, in all apsects of life - from the plastic pub to the plastic football teams that dominate the TV schedules, to the plastic trainers that mugs pay £100 for...

That said, I enjoyed the film, despite the obvious plot and the ultra-sterotype characters.

What does that say about me?

A little harsh I feel Algarve; when has the mainstream ever been the epitome of nuance and subtlety? There are still excellent character driven films out there for those who want to see them.

I wasn't alive in the 70s or whenever, but I imagine back then it was still the case that the majority of people preferred catchy pop songs to Mozart.
  • Options
    Just thinking about that film: how shit a race are the blue things? Jake was one of them for a month and quickly became the greatest of all time, by being the first to try jumping on the red thing's back. They really must be piss poor. Seems a shame to waste all that wonderful unobtanium on them.
  • Options
    I thought it was a wonderful movie, and I'm certainly capable of being a "film snob" at times. Frankly, I thought the story was compelling enough, and although certainly not new, it's well told. At the end of the day, it was entertaining, and that's what I went for.

I was also impressed with the 3D, just because I didn't think that it was done in a gimmicky way...not as many shots that were solely intended to show off that it was in 3D as was the case back in 3D's first go-round long ago, and did a nice job of making you feel in the middle of the action.

I thought that the real challenge of making this film would have been the mere conceiving of the ideas...mountains in the sky, that kind of thing.

Well worth a watch, but won't change the world. Neither did Titanic, but was still visually impressive, and incredibly popular. The earlier comment about the cost dictating the need for a story to appeal to a broad audience was bang on.
  • Options
    Smufahontus