Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Happy Anniversary Parky

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
I believe he took the reigns full time a year ago today.

Comments

• Well done Parky!

And well done Charlton for sticking with him.
  • And here are the thoughts from the time:

thread announcing

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=22463

my article

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=208
  • Only dropped two League places ;-)
  • In traditional pantomime language for this time of year, I'm behind you, Parky.
  • edited December 2009
    i was all for sticking with the team back then and i still am now, i dont think he has done good since he has been here i think he has handled himself and the squad superbly since the pre season and so far this one, but i still feel he has a lot to shoulder in our relegation last year hence why i am not screaming from the rooftoips about him.

but well done so far is all i can say i think it is more well done to the 15k who turn up every week so my gratitude is more with all you than pp
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Well done Parky!

Yep, lots of well dones.
    Well done for getting a job on the back of no wins at all.
    Well done for getting the Charlton job as we are a very indulgent and forgiving (read cash strapped) club.
    Well done for the scattergun loans in an attempt to save us.
    Well done for crap result after crap result (barring Palace) between the start of the year and the end of the season.
    Well done for a miserable relegation.
    Well done for being a really nice bloke and taking all the pain and criticism so well.
    Well done for getting Dailly for Hudson and a few other decent player acquisitions such as Deon.
    Well done for the fantastic run of victories at the start of this season.
    Well done for being a record breaker at Northwich.
    Well done for reaching the new year with only two league defeats.
    Well done for your brilliant management in the Swindon game.
    WELL DONE FOR YOUR RESILIENCE AND EXCELLENT STRENGTH OF CHARACTER.
    Now get two successive promotions.
  • I think your thoughts on Parky in that blog have been proved to be pretty much spot on AFKA

"I like Phil Parkinson, lets get that clear now. He is an individual i would have been happy to appoint instead of Dowie, and i strongly believe that given time to build his own squad at a club, he will be a successful football manager. But evidence has shown he may well be the right man and the wrong time.

We need a short-term impact. Someone with fresh ideas who will galvanize players and supporters alike. Someone to give us belief that we will attack the end of this season with tenacity, and if the worse scenario happens will at least lend encouragement for supporters to go into next season with hope. He has failed in the last two months to instigate that reaction, and at present shows no signs of doing so in the near future. If we do not get that reaction in the next 3-4 games, our season is effectively over in January.
    "

He wasn't the man to galvanise us and we did go down, but given time to build his own squad he has been successful.
  • For me he was the wrong man to turn it around, he's not the type of manager that comes in and makes a big impact straight away (which is what we needed at the time). Even then I still think the squad and club had bigger problems than we realised, we didn't look like a team, there was a lack of team spirit and the squad was completely unbalanced. Big changes were needed, and we couldn't get rid of a lot of players until the summer, nor could we get many replacements in until they were available on free transfers.

He is now slowly building a squad with most importantly, good characters. It's not perfect, there are a lot of areas that can be improved, but we're actually moving forwards now instead of continuing the decline. The squad is all about team spirit, professionalism and hard work. The type of team we had with Curbishley, especially when the likes of Kinsella, Rufus, Mendonca, Robinson, Brown etc were all here. As a bonus he tries to get them playing decent football and trying to bring through the youngsters.

We're only halfway through this season, so a long way to go, but so far, apart from the cups and a few disappointing results and performances, it's going well. If we get promoted, no one will care about the cup results. Hopefully he can keep the better players here through the transfer window, add to the squad and we get a bit of luck with injuries.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Well done Parky!

Personally, I couldn't say with any certainty it was the right decision to stick with him. I guess it's a case of weighing up the benefit of going down, getting rid of the deadwood and perhaps rebuilding a strong core. And then comparing this to getting a new manager in at the time that may have meant we would still be in the championship. I'll definitely say well done to Charlton for sticking with him in the summer, as he's proven to be the man who's equipped to take us back up, but judging the decision to keep him last December is a bit more difficult.

The pain of that relegation is partly forgotten now we're winning and at the top of the league, but it wasn't good for a club of our size and he has to take some of the blame. It is a valid point that promotion will simply take us back to where we were when he took over.

It's a difficult one to call, and if we do go up I'll be interested to see if Parky is good enough to manage in the championship now he's had plenty of time wth the squad. We don't know the extent to which the league flatters the team yet. Here's hoping we do a Leicester!
  • forest brought in a new manager and they aint doing too bad ..... we took the easy option and lost badly .... but that can be repaired but ONLY if we go back up this season
  • Sponsored links:

• The only reason why Parky was given the job was, the club couldn't afford to sack him. We need to get back up this season, not sure if he is the right man if/when we get up to push us up to the top half of the Championship.
  • doing well so far, better than I expected or hoped, but he'll only really be judged at the end of the season and then, if we havn't been promoted, he'd have failed because it's his team now and with the biggest budget bar Leeds in League 1 so promotion, and promotion only, will be good enough.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]It's a difficult one to call, and if we do go up I'll be interested to see if Parky is good enough to manage in the championship now he's had plenty of time wth the squad. We don't know the extent to which the league flatters the team yet. Here's hoping we do a Leicester!
    Will be a lot to do to improve the squad. While they're ok in League One, I won't be confident with the likes of Wagstaff, Spring etc playing as often as they are this season in the Championship.
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]The only reason why Parky was given the job was, the club couldn't afford to sack him. We need to get back up this season, not sure if he is the right man if/when we get up to push us up to the top half of the Championship.
    Though that's a long way off at the moment. If we go up, our aim would surely be just to be comfortable in the Championship. This squad at the moment is nowhere near good enough to be near the top of the Championship, and I don't think it would be even with a 3/4 new signings.
  • Detested the idea of him being the boss when it was announced. But I have to say he has done a decent job of stopping the rot, in truth the signs of improvement were visible in the last 3 months of last season and he has carried on the steady improvement this year (much like Pardew's 2 season decline but in reverse). I will be ecstatic if he can get us up and I believe we have a run of very winnable games coming up and after those we will have a definate idea as to our future destiny. With hindsight and thus far I have to say the brave ones who spoke up for Parky at the outset are entitled to their beatific grins at the moment and I am rather enjoying my slice of humble pie if I am honest.
  • In less than two years Super Alan Ego brought a well-ordered club to the brink of ruination.

In just over a year PP has not just stopped the rot but got the club moving forward again, having spent a mere pittance compared to his wastrel predecessor. He has done so in circumstances as challenging as any faced by LL and AC and has shown real character in just getting on with the job without drama, recrimination or self-pity.

In calendar 2009 he has had 44 league matches - 17 won, 17 drawn and 10 lost. Of the 8 CCC defeats, 6 were by a single goal. The team has gone from one that could not win to one that has at least become difficult to beat, all with nothing more in the tank but fumes.

Given AP's shambolic final months it would have taken a miracle to survive, and even had we done so, how would we have coped with the CCC this season.

I can understand the reservations about him, but if this particular jury is still out I hope they never bring back hanging !!

COYA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Nice post Glass, and one that I agree wholely with.
  • edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]he'd have failed because it's his team now and with the biggest budget bar Leeds in League 1 so promotion, and promotion only, will be good enough.

What budget's that? All of his signings have been free transfers.
  • If this time next year there is another thread with happy 2nd anniversary Parky then I think we could well be in the Champ. If we do not go up, I think the Parky out brigade will possibly get their way.

As Glass said, the jury is still out but after a diastrous start to his reign by the end of the season, we did look a side capable of getting results in the Champ and performances from March onwards were getting there, as was said Parky was not an impact manager but we saw a progressive improvement imo. A lot of Parky's draws in 2009 have been games we should have won (Birmingham, Blackpool, Cardiff, Southampton, Oldham, Milwall home), these games would make his overall record look much better. He has carried on this season and reminds me of Curbs in the transfer market (the whole Charlton type player signings), he has also answered some critics regarding plan b and has even had success in the loan market, something I never thought would happen at cafc after Pardew.

Parkinson has earned his chance and as been said numerously, he has acted with great dignity and got on with the job. Parkinson has also communicated well with thr fans judging by his q&a sessions and looks like he is a man here for the long term if we go up.
  • [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]he'd have failed because it's his team now and with the biggest budget bar Leeds in League 1 so promotion, and promotion only, will be good enough.

What budget's that? All of his signings have been free transfers.

As are 95%+ at this level.

By budget he means in terms of wage bill. Ours is bigger than everyone in this league bar Leeds.