Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You top three players of the decade.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm pretty sure I remember Kiely having a bitter old moan about the club and fans after he lost the number one spot and we sold him? Surprised to see he's on practically everyones 'like' list.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]I'm pretty sure I remember Kiely having a bitter old moan about the club and fans after he lost the number one spot and we sold him? Surprised to see he's on practically everyones 'like' list.

That'll be because he gave us many seasons of fantastic service..... and as fans, most of us appreciate that, Chunesy.

The fact he had a moan was out of frustration of being out of the team at the time he was about to move on. If I'd been in his shoes, maybe I'd have felt the same way too. Remember it's a job to players, not a religion like it is to us! ;o)

And since then, he's bigged up his time at the club and spoken favourably on many occasions.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]I'm pretty sure I remember Kiely having a bitter old moan about the club and fans after he lost the number one spot and we sold him? Surprised to see he's on practically everyones 'like' list.

to be fair he had every right to moan he was treated shabbily IMO.

And agreee with oggy
  • Options
    In terms of ability / impact

Darren Bent
    Scott Parker
    Mark Kinsella

Likeability

Chris Powell
    Shaun Bartlett
    Mark Kinsella
  • Options
    ability / impact

1) Parker
    2) Murphy
    3) Kiely

liking

1) Darren Bent
    2) Reid
    3) Costa
  • Options
    Ability/Impact

Parker
    Bent
    Di Canio

In terms of liking

Powell
    Keily
    Rufus
  • Options
    Impact/ ability

1.Scott Parker - the heart and engine of the team for a season or 3.
    2. Deano - worth 10 points a season, great service to the club.
    3. Claus Jensen nudges it for me over Paulo because he was with us longer and though Di Canio was something special, Claus had some great match turning moments for us.

1. Powelly - his goal on his last game was one of the highlights of the decade.
    2. Andy Hunt - only just in the decade I know but always remember him talking on Charlton Live while he waited for a takeaway curry to arrive! A decent bloke by all accounts with a career sadly cut short.
    3. Matty Holland - he never hid, and always gave it his all. Always applauded the fans at the end of the game a good professional who was hurt by our relegations too.
  • Options
    Ability/impact

Bent D.
    Powell
    Parker

Liked

Robbo
    Kinsella
    Kishishev
  • Options
    impact / ability

1) Scott Parker
    2) Claus Jensen
    3) Darren Bent

likeability

1) Chris Powell
    2) Kish
    3) Deano
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

That'll be because he gave us many seasons of fantastic service..... and as fans, most of us appreciate that, Chunesy.

The fact he had a moan was out of frustration of being out of the team at the time he was about to move on. If I'd been in his shoes, maybe I'd have felt the same way too. Remember it's a job to players, not a religion like it is to us! ;o)

And since then, he's bigged up his time at the club and spoken favourably on many occasions.

Fair enough. But there's been many more shabbily treated players who have managed not to slag us off to the national press.

Was a great keeper, and as you said gave many years of good service, but I never got a sense he was 'likeable' as such. Especially after slagging us off. And I've never read anything of him speaking favourably since. Hence why I'm quite shocked that everyone has him in their top 3 likeable players of the decade.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Impact/ability:

1. Parker
    2. Rufus
    3. Jensen

Liking:

1. Sir Chris (who?)
    2. Robbo
    3. Kish
  • Options

No 1. Claus Jensen
    No 2. Scott Parker
    No 3. Darren Bent

In terms of liking

No 1. Chris Powell
    No 2. Claus Jensen
    No 3. Dean Kiely
  • Options

1. Darren Bent
    2. Scott Parker
    3. Dean Kiely

In terms of liking

1. Chris Powell
    2. Mark Kinsella
    3. Radostin Kishishev
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Great question, can't disagree on Parker, he's the best Charlton player I've seen in the best part of 25 years watching them and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Ability:

1. Scott Parker
    2. Claus Jensen
    3. Darren Bent

Liking:

1. Chris Powell
    2. Dean Kiely
    3. Scott Parker (controversial but up until his last couple of weeks at the club, he always gave 110%. And I've forgiven him now..........)

The likes of Kinsella, Hunt, Mendonca and Robinson were more in the 90s otherwise they'd be in there.
  • Options
    in terms of ability / impact

1.scott parker
    2.Darren Bent
    3.Di Canio

1.Dean Kiely
    2.Mark Kinsella
    3.Chris powell
  • Options

No 1. Di Canio
    No 2. Parker
    No 3. Jensen

In terms of liking

No 1. Chris Powell
    No 2. Matt Holland
    No 3. Dean Kiely
  • Options
    Although he was only on loan to us, and did not have time to show us his full potential, there is one player who will probably have more impact on the game than any of the above, much as I appreciate them all, and that player is Alex Song...
  • Options
    Interesting choices but mine has to be: -

Kiely
    Parker
    Mendoca (without him I doubt we would have got into the play offs)

followed closely by Powell, Jensen and 'the Tank' Costa

Non Charlton players would be: -

Gerrard
    Ronaldo
    Henry
  • Options
    Parker
    DiCanio
    Jensen
  • Options
    impact

Murphy
    Bent
    Carson

Likeability

Powell
    Young
    Holland
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TELTEL
    edited December 2009

No 1. There can only be one....Richard Rufus
    No 2. Darren Bent......shame we didnt have him for longer
    No 3. Paolo Di Canio....as above

In terms of liking

No 1. Steve Brown
    No 2. Darren Bent
    No 3. Matt Holland

and a special mention for Phil Parkinson.
  • Options

Deano Best Goalie i have seen at Charlton
    Parker Best Midfielder and home grown talent i have ever seen at Charlton (and i used to say he would never make a player)
    D Bent Most Consitant and best striker i have seen at Charlton

all of the above single handedly won us points in a season

In terms of liking

Chrissy Powell for his love of the club and fans and terrible taste in shoes
    Dicanio absolute class i loved every single second the man was at the club
    Matt Holland Superb player and captain never let us down

[cite]Posted By: Jason1[/cite]Interesting choices but mine has to be: -

Mendoca (without him I doubt we would have got into the play offs)

Most of his work was pre the noughties so thats why he is missed out
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Fair enough. But there's been many more shabbily treated players who have managed not to slag us off to the national press.

Was a great keeper, and as you said gave many years of good service, but I never got a sense he was 'likeable' as such. Especially after slagging us off. And I've never read anything of him speaking favourably since. Hence why I'm quite shocked that everyone has him in their top 3 likeable players of the decade.

chunes where did he slag us off? the only thing i've ever heard him slag off is curbishley.. from the horses mouth too. i also spoke to him on a phone in on Setanta where he spoke about the "golden years" at charlton with much fondness. he's good pals with Peter Varney and did an article in the press last year to say how upset he was to see how badly things have gone.
  • Options
    ***DEANO STALKER ALERT***
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]***DEANO STALKER ALERT***

LOL...that's true....but also true in what B has said.
  • Options
    NO ONE DISSES THE DEANO! HA.
  • Options
    Curb_it is to Deano ......... what Sam Lloyd is to Lloyd Sam !!

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Although he was only on loan to us, and did not have time to show us his full potential, there is one player who will probably have more impact on the game than any of the above, much as I appreciate them all, and that player is Alex Song...
    He's done well, 3 years ago Arsenal fans thought he'd never make it with them. Thought he looked a promising player when he was here, just needed time to improve his consistency and gain experience.
  • Options
    In terms of ability / impact:

Scott Parker
    Darren Bent
    Dean Kiely

In terms of liking:

Richard Rufus
    Chris Powell
    Steve Brown