Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poor Old Gazza

Former England football star Paul Gascoigne has been arrested for being drunk and disorderly, police have said.

The ex-Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder was taken into custody in the early hours of Wednesday morning following a disturbance in the Jesmond area of Newcastle.

Gascoigne, 42, who has faced a long battle with alcohol, was arrested at about 2.15am after police arrived at Jesmond Park West.

He was later taken to a police station before receiving a fixed penalty notice for being drunk and disorderly.

The spokeswoman could not confirm how much the notice was for but fines are set at £50 and £80 depending on the seriousness of the offence.

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited December 2009
    I'd drop the "Poor Old" and put in "Idiot", EDIT - maybe idiot is a bit harsh but he is not helping himself.

Great player but is now risking it all, including his life by carrying on like this. He is and has been in the fortunate position numerous times of being able to afford therapy and support from professional people but chooses for whatever reason to carry on like this.

For someone who has had experiences of people close to me being affected by depression and alcoholism - this really winds me up.

George Best Take 2.

I know it sounds harsh but just really bothers me things like this.
  • Options
    The poor guy has mental problems WSS.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]The poor guy has mental problems WSS.
    Fine, he can do what he wants then.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I'd drop the "Poor Old" and put in "Idiot".
    uote]

It's not always that easy to give up an addiction mate.

Just wait till your losing fortunes on the all night poker tables ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Bit harsh, considering you edited after I posted that mate.
  • Options
    It's not easy at all, I appreciate that but you need to help yourself but not putting yourself into places and situations where you can have the temptation. If you really really want to give it up for your friends, family and your own life you can. You need to do it yourself though, you can't rely on others for everything.
  • Options
    Depression leads to alcohol which is a depressant hence more depression leads to alcohol ad infinitum.

Cold turkey is the way out but very hard to do especially if you spend time in environments where alcohol is readily available and hangers on want reflected glory and buy you drinks.

Gazza hasn't helped himself over the years at times but that is probably part of the condition.

One thing WSS is right about is that only Gazza himself can choose to come out of this spiral. It will take him a lot of mental strength to do it though.
  • Options
    I'm with WSS on this. I read his book and - possibly because he's been surrounded by toadys for most of his life - he's so full of self-pity. He tracks his problems back to incidents such as the deaths of cousin's and a friends parent. While sad, this is the kind of thing that other people have to deal with in life. If he gives his wife a right hander or gets drunk in the run up to the world cup, it's because he can't be arsed with taking responsibility, not because his somebody he knew died 30 years ago. If he were a normal bloke people around him would have told him to sort himself out, but because he's Gazza everyone around him just encouraged him to just keep doing what hes's always done, which he did and predictably spiralled. He's never going to get better.

I don't doubt that he's got spectacular mental problems, now, but I'm sypmpathy weary where Gazza is concerned. I'd rather save my concern for someone who hasn't had fantastic opportunities in their life.
  • Options
    Absolutely spot on, Len.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Many of us have a friend or two who is an alcoholic...I know I do.
    Lovely fella and all our crowd are very protective of him....he's in an pretty awful state but was a real character in his day and we prefer to remember him that way, we'd never desert him and do little bit's and pieces for him from time to time.
    Had a £600,000 Georgian house in Greenwich a beautiful wife and two daughters as well as a succesful building company....now divorced and lives in a dismal one bedroom council flat in Sydenham on benefits...permanently skint!
    Sad sad situation....Gazza would no doubt be the same were it not for the bit of money he still has access to.
    It's an illness and for anyone of you out there who likes a drink one has to say..."There but for the grace of God go I".....I guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well said McLovin. The man has absolutely no class at all.
  • Options
    I'd drop the "Poor Old" and put in "Idiot", EDIT - maybe idiot is a bit harsh but he is not helping himself.

A bit harsh, the guy has a few serious mental problems, besides battling addiction he suffers from depression and needs medical care, the he should pull himself up attitude is ok in theory but it's proper medical supervision that he needs.
  • Options
    he aint well, he doesn't know how to get out of the mess, and so called 'friends' and 'fans' that buy him drinks are wrong to do so. he needs proper help, and I can't believe people still serve him booze as he's so famously a mess.

i read recently that he was doing really well working with Beardsley at the academy and he was getting help and getting better.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This "pull yourself out of it" attitude comes from a misunderstanding of mental illness. It's very easy to say that, but very hard to imagine yourself suffering from both depression and an addiction to a depressant drug.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]This "pull yourself out of it" attitude comes from a misunderstanding of mental illness. It's very easy to say that, but very hard to imagine yourself suffering from both depression and a addiction to a depressant drug.

You need help, support and encouragement for sure to sustain you but ultimately you have to want it desperately for yourself if you are going to succeed.
  • Options
    England is not the best country to live in if you are trying to avoid alcohol.
  • Options
    Some heartless Bar**ards on here

H
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]England is not the best country to live in if you are trying to avoid alcohol.
    Very true Covered End.
  • Options
    One of the best players i have ever seen, if not the best English player. I dont particularly feel sorry for him, as like others have said he can change his lifestyle if he really wanted to, i just wish he was still plying his trade within football cos the bloke was special.

A special talent that went to waste. Gazza's only problem is that he came into football 10 years too early. I mean, if only he had the strcit diets and regimes of a modern day footballer.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I'm with WSS on this. I read his book and - possibly because he's been surrounded by toadys for most of his life - he's so full of self-pity. He tracks his problems back to incidents such as the deaths of cousin's and a friends parent. While sad, this is the kind of thing that other people have to deal with in life. If he gives his wife a right hander or gets drunk in the run up to the world cup, it's because he can't be arsed with taking responsibility, not because his somebody he knew died 30 years ago. If he were a normal bloke people around him would have told him to sort himself out, but because he's Gazza everyone around him just encouraged him to just keep doing what hes's always done, which he did and predictably spiralled. He's never going to get better.

I don't doubt that he's got spectacular mental problems, now, but I'm sypmpathy weary where Gazza is concerned. I'd rather save my concern for someone who hasn't had fantastic opportunities in their life.

That is a very very cruel post McLovin...we're ALL different...the man is ill and you are judging him by your own standards.
    The fact that he cannot pull himself out of the dreadful situation he finds himself in is possibly the very reason he became an alcoholic in the first place....no matter how desperatetly he may want to....Like I said...."There but for the grace of God"....I don't and won't either pre judge or condemn any alcoholic.......... it's simply a tragedy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Well said McLovin. The man has absolutely no class at all.

Oh dear oh dear....words fail me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]England is not the best country to live in if you are trying to avoid alcohol.
    Very true Covered End.

Afghanistan?
  • Options
    But could he replace John Terry? ;-)

Terrible shame. Where are those agents that fleeced him for their own benefit for so many years?
    Long gone, obviously.
  • Options

If it's true, he should be sectioned under the Mental Health Act but not sure this covers alcholics even though it is deemed to be self harm. It really is a shame I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
  • Options
    Arrested again!

Gazza
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jason1[/cite]

If it's true, he should be sectioned under the Mental Health Act but not sure this covers alcholics even though it is deemed to be self harm. It really is a shame I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

He has been detained under the mental health act three times according to that report.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Arrested again!

Gazza

Breakfast must be good.
  • Options
    He was detained and sectioned in a hotel (Malmaison Newcastle) some years back - I was in the hotel at the time !

It's not within his control now, if it has been for some time, and like many before him and even more to come, he needs help.
  • Options
    Just been charged with drink driving, driving without insurance and driving without a licence.

Now he's becoming a risk to others he should be locked away IMO.