Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 host cities Announced.

London ( Wembley, Arsenal, Spurs/Stratford

Newcastle
Sunderland

Leeds
Sheffield (Hillsbrough)

Milton Keynes
Plymouth
Bristol (new City ground)

Nottingham (New Forest)

Liverpool (old or new Anfield)

Manchester (CIty and United)

Birmingham (Villa Park)

Derby, Hull Leicester miss out

Comments

• Options
    MK??

Ridiculous
  • Options
    I am all for spreading the games around, but Milton Keynes!!!!!!! What kind of message are we sending to tourists visiting England?
  • Options
    What about the children WSS?

Stunning decision, going to turn some people off the bid, and harsh on Leicester and Derby, two cities with footballing histories
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]MK??

Ridiculous

Not really. Big population in the centre of the country. Site has potential to expand capacity.

As with Plymouth and Bristol expanding or building new stadium outside conventional "football" areas.

Hillsborough seems a politically hot potato.

Why two grounds in Manchester?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]I am all for spreading the games around, but Milton Keynes!!!!!!! What kind of message are we sending to tourists visiting England?

But Tottenham and Liverpool are going to impress them!!

Forget MK Dons, as a city it makes sense.

Not every game in South Africa is in a big city.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Why two grounds in Manchester?

One of them might be Edgeley Park .... ?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]What about the children WSS?

Stunning decision, going to turn some people off the bid, and harsh on Leicester and Derby, two cities with footballing histories
    Lol - well of course for the people of MK, this is fantastic but I would have thought the likes of Derby and Charlton Palace will be a little peeved.
  • Options
    Why two cities in the south west?

I'd have thought that Southampton would be a better choice than one of Plymouth or Bristol, especially as neither have yet built their new stadium, while the Saints have.
  • Options
    Sad to see Yeovil miss out..........LOL!!
  • Options
    Doesn't seem that Southampton bid. Maybe it was when they were in Admin and the city could be sure on what was happening.

Two cities in the west to spread the games around the country.

Gives more fans a chance to see a game locally and spreads the economic benefit as well so stopping the "why are we paying for this, none of the games are near me" attitude.

So am I the only one who think Hillsborough is a bit iffy given its history?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So am I the only one who think Hillsborough is a bit iffy given its history?
    Yes, you are.

;o)
  • Options
    Why two grounds in Manchester?

Living in Manchester I'm biased but it has 2 well developed stadiums that are ready. Dense North West population 2hrs to London, major airport, National Football Museum, BBC Sports centre with media city etc. I think they are a few reasons why it has 2.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Northern_Monkey[/cite] Dense North West population

Are you saying northerners are a bit thick? : - )

Good points on Manchester. Just wondered why needed two there plus in Liverpool. Two is enough for a group of 4 teams

[cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So am I the only one who think Hillsborough is a bit iffy given its history?
    Yes, you are.

;o)

Unique as ever ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]So am I the only one who think Hillsborough is a bit iffy given its history?

I agree with you about Hillsborough, but not because of its history but because Sheffield is a hole.
  • Options
    Not sure why you think fans/tourists wouldn't be impressed by Liverpool, Henry.

It has always been a favourite with foreign football fans and tourists, More so with and following the Capital of Culture events last year. Airport also has flghts to and from plenty of overseas destinations as well. Perfect location I'd say. Certainly better than Manchester.

Tottenham I'll agree with you about but not Liverpool!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]So am I the only one who think Hillsborough is a bit iffy given its history?

I agree with you about Hillsborough, but not because of its history but because Sheffield is a hole.
    I never said that!
  • Options
    LOL - "Dense" 'tis true.

I think that there is enough people around the north west to justify 3. I don't know the stats but looking at a map it's full of urban sprawls so I guess there must be quite fair percentage of the country in the North West? Football people as well. You've got Liverpool/Everton/Bolton/Blackburn/Burnley/Wigan/ManU/Man City from the Prem alone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]

Sheffield has good rail/road connections, good infrastructure in terms of hotels, traditionally a sporting city.

Hillsborough is a different ground to the place that it was at the time of the disaster.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Not sure why you think fans/tourists wouldn't be impressed by Liverpool, Henry.

It has always been a favourite with foreign football fans and tourists, More so with and following the Capital of Culture events last year. Airport also has flghts to and from plenty of overseas destinations as well. Perfect location I'd say. Certainly better than Manchester.

Tottenham I'll agree with you about but not Liverpool!

I'm sure the bit of Liverpool where you live is fine but I've never been impressed by the offy's with all the bars up around Anfield and Goodison.

Personally always prefered Manchester for football and generally but won't claim to know either well.

Was really just making the point that MK isn't as bad as some of the other venues.
  • Options
    Was really just making the point that MK isn't as bad as some of the other venues.

No sporting or football heritage, a little over an hour north of London and so not that far from the north London stadia that are being used, I'd have thought that Leicester or Derby would have a better shout as it gives the East Midlands some representation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite] I'd have thought that Leicester or Derby would have a better shout as it gives the East Midlands some representation.

Forest's new ground does that. It was either have Leicester/Derby or have Stratford/Spurs, and the London option will provide FIFA more money...
  • Options
    Leicester fans will not travel to Nottingham.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Leicester fans will not travel to Nottingham.

Not even for North Korea v Mozambique?

: - )
  • Options
    I'm always intrigued though what happens if/when in 2018 (IF we get the bid) say Plymouth/Bristol/MK are all in the 3rd or 4th tier which is very possible is it not?

Do the FA pay for the ground to be built up to capacity?
  • Options
    I agree with all the choices, I think that the Midlands is a bit short with just Villa and Forest. Though being in the middle they have the easiest job of visiting the lot. I like the idea of Bristol, not sure about the MK choice but I think it's just to give the South/Midlands another option from their primary venues. I really don't agree with Plymouth.
  • Options
    What a load of tosh, a lot of those stadiums will turn in to white elephants. Why does Nottingham need a new stadium?!

Henry, the Lepping Lane end will be redeveloped, but sadly it will still contain THAT tunnel.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Northern_Monkey[/cite]I agree with all the choices, I think that the Midlands is a bit short with just Villa and Forest. Though being in the middle they have the easiest job of visiting the lot. I like the idea of Bristol, not sure about the MK choice but I think it's just to give the South/Midlands another option from their primary venues. I really don't agree with Plymouth.

lol..so you agree with all the choices...but not really Plymouth. ;-)
  • Options
    What about the garden of England?

Bet Scally is fuming!
  • Options
    http://www.2018england.co.uk/2018-stadiums.html well presumably London will be the 2+ city venue so 1 of the Manchester venues won't make it (City) can't imagine Plymouth and MK with 40,000 seater stadiums.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Northern_Monkey[/cite]I agree with all the choices, I think that the Midlands is a bit short with just Villa and Forest. Though being in the middle they have the easiest job of visiting the lot. I like the idea of Bristol, not sure about the MK choice but I think it's just to give the South/Midlands another option from their primary venues. I really don't agree with Plymouth.

lol..so you agree withallthe choices...but not really Plymouth. ;-)

yep! see dense statement earlier.

I think I meant agree in terms of geographic location for locals but the practical element of Plymouth being quite removed from everywhere else for teams/supporters, and the stadium will need to be 40,000.