Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Removals Firm Required At Very Short Notice

edited December 2009 in Not Sports Related
Long story short, we have been backed into a corner by the buyer of our flat. Its taken nearly two years to sell and it will fall through if we don't meet his deadline to move.

Anyway, I have just found out that I am going to need a removals firm on Monday 21st December. Not to concerned about getting someone as I don't think they will be massively busy this time of year.

Having never engaged these services before I am hoping for some advice on who to go with and how much I will be looking at. We are moving from a 2 bed flat to a 3 bed house just over 5 miles away.

So far I have come up with Pickfords. We don't mind packing ourselves but I want the bells and whistles in terms of taking beds down and putting them back together etc.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Get yourself a van and half dozen guys off this mb, I'm sure the cash would be appreciated (especially if they've been laid off)

just a thought ;)
  • Options
    Can only recommend J.N. Handley in Woolwich 0208-854-7754 as have used them twice,very good.
  • Options
    phone any local estate agent. they will give you a few names - must be a few firms with nothing to do at present.
  • Options
    I've used this lot a couple of time Removals brokers

You have to pay a brokerage fee but when they have saved you £100's and in my case over a £1000 on a quote it's well worth it as it's only £30 quid or something I think. Saves you all the grief of ringing around yourself too. You might be surprised how busy they'll be on the last Monday before Christmas but if you can wait until Wednesday it'll be better I reckon.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments so far. Especially HardyAddick, hadn't thought of asking estate agents.

Have managed to blag a morning "working from home" (sorting out removals to you and I!!!) tomorrow so it shouldn't be to much of a hassle.

The bloke actually wanted to move in on Saturday!!!! Told him no way - Millwall at home comes first!!! Nailed on for 3-0 defeat now.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]I've used this lot a couple of time [url=[url]http://www.etbrokers-removals.com/[/url]]Removals brokers[/url]

You have to pay a brokerage fee but when they have saved you £100's and in my case over a £1000 on a quote it's well worth it as it's only £30 quid or something I think. Saves you all the grief of ringing around yourself too. You might be surprised how busy they'll be on the last Monday before Christmas but if you can wait until Wednesday it'll be better I reckon.[/quote]

Unfortunately 22nd would be the last day. We need to move everything out on 21st as I am going to need the best part of 4-5 hours on 22nd moving a 4ft tropical fish tank!?!. I'm assuming Pickfords et al won't want to be moving that!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]I've used this lot a couple of time [url=[url][/url]http://www.etbrokers-removals.com/]Removals brokers[/url]

You have to pay a brokerage fee but when they have saved you £100's and in my case over a £1000 on a quote it's well worth it as it's only £30 quid or something I think. Saves you all the grief of ringing around yourself too. You might be surprised how busy they'll be on the last Monday before Christmas but if you can wait until Wednesday it'll be better I reckon.

Unfortunately 22nd would be the last day. We need to move everything out on 21st as I am going to need the best part of 4-5 hours on 22nd moving a 4ft tropical fish tank!?!. I'm assuming Pickfords et al won't want to be moving that!

I've been there on the fish tank Clem - you have my sympathies! I'd give ET a call home first thing tomorrow and you'll probably have half a dozen quotes by mid-morning, all proper companies, like Pickfords, etc. Job done and you can put the feet up watching Cash In The Attic.
  • Options
    3 bed terrace into 4 bed townhouse with them taking apart and rebuilding 3 large items cost us £870 earlier this year as a ball park figure

it all depends on square metres of stuff you have I believe
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]3 bed terrace into 4 bed townhouse with them taking apart and rebuilding 3 large items cost us £870 earlier this year as a ball park figure

it all depends on square metres of stuff you have I believe

Pickfords online are quoting £360.00 plus vat for a 2 bed flat. I am assuming that doesn't include dismantling beds. That would be the only thing we want taken apart. My daughters will be a bit of a 'mare as she has a cabin bed with drawers, desk, chair etc all built in underneath.

I reckon it is going to be £500-£600. Given the aount of stress that will save me, I am more than happy to pay it!.

Who was that with out of interest?.
  • Options
    We used James Removals and they were fantastic - super professional.
    They were also comfortably the cheapest of the three quotes we had.

http://www.jamesremovals.com/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ours was up here in Essex so no good for you

£80 per piece of furniture I believe
  • Options
    Haven't moved house for a long, long time but when I had to organise office moves in a previous life Hinks (Forest Hill) were always very good and cheap Number in the book.