Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Am I right in thinking?

edited December 2009 in Not Sports Related
That I can do the hours I want to at work as I havn't signed any contract, so I can say to shift some of my saturday hours (10 til 7) to a weekday and they have to do that?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]That I can do the hours I want to at work as I havn't signed any contract, so I can say to shift some of my saturday hours (10 til 7) to a weekday and they have to do that?

It depends.

If you've been there some time and worked a particular way there is a legal argument that you have an IMPLIED contract as opposed to an EXPRESSED contract which would be the case had you signed a piece of paper.

Henry is probably your man for this.
  • Options
    I only started yesterday, and they want me to work 10am til 7pm next saturday with only half hour lunch break, no way is that happening
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]I only started yesterday, and they want me to work 10am til 7pm next saturday with only half hour lunch break, no way is that happening

I'd take it on the chin, Nathan ......after all it's only a nothing match with Millwall that you'll be missing.

As long as you're at The Valley for Tranmere at home, that's the important one.

;o)
  • Options
    Nathan,

You legally have to have a contract of employment (a statement of particulars) with one month of starting.

No, you can't do the hours you want, they are employing you. You can ask to swap shifts but if you started yesterday I think you are on weak ground.

as for breaks you are entitled to 20 mins during a shift of over 6 hours and you must have 11 hours off in 24.

If you are under 18 the rules are different. 30 mins after 4.5 hours and 12 hours off in 24.

Really Nathan you should have asked all these questions at your induction. Go and see you HR person and get them to give you your statement of particulars and staff handbook if they have one. Then read it.
  • Options
    Im gonna see if I can do 10 til 1 on Saturday then try and change some of the rest so I can do them on thursday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Im gonna see if I can do 10 til 1 on Saturday then try and change some of the rest so I can do them on thursday

Good luck, you're new to this "having a job" lark aren't you.
  • Options
    Having worked "at the coalface" in retail for 6 Christmas's (admittedly a few years ago, but the story will be the same) - you have absolutely zero chance of being given next Saturday afternoon off!

Seriously, what world are you living in? You've just got a job in a consumer electronics retailer just before Christmas. Why do you think there was a job available? They need the bodies on the shop floor in the busy period before Christmas when the customers are going to be there. If they can do without you next saturday, they basically don't need you at all & I'd expect to be told quite soon after that there isn't enough work to keep you on.

If they give you the afternoon off 2 things will happen:
    1: I'll be f'kin amazed
    2: I'll buy you a drink (you'll have to phone me to arrange that one though)
  • Options
    3 Surely he'll have to wait until he's 18 before he can drink it....
  • Options
    I shall see what happens, and it isnt all glamourous working in the stock room all day
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IdleHans[/cite]3 Surely he'll have to wait until he's 18 before he can drink it....
    It'll give him time to overcome his "phone phobia"!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: IdleHans[/cite]3 Surely he'll have to wait until he's 18 before he can drink it....

Have we gone back in time?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]You've just got a job in a consumer electronics retailer just before Christmas.

Working there, you might get the chance to learn about light bulbs, Nathan.
    Those with the low wattage are not so bright.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]You've just got a job in a consumer electronics retailer just before Christmas.

Working there, you might get the chance to learn about light bulbs, Nathan.
    Those with the low wattage are not so bright.

;o)
    Ha ha ha PMSL
  • Options
    Fall off a ladder at about 1.30p.m Nathan and limp out shouting you're gonna sue them then turn up on Sunday and say you're not happy but you'll give them another chance!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Fall off a ladder at about 1.30p.m Nathan and limp out shouting you're gonna sue them then turn up on Sunday and say you're not happy but you'll give them another chance!

now thats a good one.......

or as a more dangerous option set fire to your sleeve and pull the same stunt...

Or get a load of fake blood and pretend to smack your head.......

ANYTHING to get to Charlton Millwall on saturday!!
  • Options
    Or just tell them you aint coming in saturday then find yourself a new job on Monday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Or just tell them you aint coming in saturday then find yourself a new job on Monday
    Just make sure it's not telesales!
  • Options
    bring some shaving foam in,squirt it in your mouth and run around the shop floor screaming for the exit,that usually works
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]I only started yesterday, and they want me to work 10am til 7pm next saturday with only half hour lunch break, no way is that happening

You got a job in the run up to xmas and you say no way are you working on a saturday? The last saturday before xmas as well. What days did you expect to work then?

You might as well have just waited another couple of weeks before getting a job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

You got a job in the run up to xmas and you say no way are you working on a saturday? The last saturday before xmas as well. What days did you expect to work then?

You might as well have just waited another couple of weeks before getting a job.
    agreed - complain you have Gastro Anomilic Yahtzee's or GAY and they might be inclined to let you have time off...

;o) p.s yes i did just make that up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haha how annoying it must be NP, i bet you have no chance of changing shifts etc but let us know

I do like the falling of the ladder idea, saves pulling a sickie and you cant miss Millwall surely?
  • Options
    Nathan-job-Saturdays ?
    Did you not ask what your hours were ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Nathan-job-Saturdays ?
    Did you not askwhatyour hours were ?

I was contracted to do 10 and it said the days were optional to do in the description, but now im suddenly doing 13.5 hours a week
  • Options
    Life is a learning curve, Nathan.

You never stop learning, none of us.

;o)
  • Options
    In the current climate be thankful you have a job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]In the current climate be thankful you have a job.

..... on Saturday.

;o)
  • Options
    On the upside nathan if you go to work i can have your ticket and everyones happy...... Well maybe not you but your boss and me will be,so two out three aint bad ;-)
  • Options
    I found this wicked jobs where you can do what you like, only have to do 30 mins every 2 weeks .....

as Delboy put it "the hours are great but the moneys lousy"

called the rock and roll mate....
  • Options
    The bizarre world of young Mr Prior. Always cheers me up to read his Dear Nathan threads.

There you go, about doing your own problem page in the News Shopper? That way you can get out of working saturdays, and you don't have to use the phone.
  • Options
    So, what happened Nathan?

Still in a job?