Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sellotape

edited December 2009 in Not Sports Related
I see they have been advertising on the TV.

a) Why ?

Oh, I think I'll put a lot of extra sellotape on my presents this year now I've seen the advert - NOT .

b) I can't realistically think of an alternative people use and was trying to think of another product that has "cornered the market" ?

Comments

• Options
    Without Woolworths people need reminding.
  • Options
    I thought that too last night when I saw the ad .

I was going to glue the wrapping paper this year
  • Options
    I always think why McDonalds and Burger King need to advertise as well...

People either have a clear preference, or go for whatever is closest/most convenient

An advert showing a lovely juicy burger that doesn't resemble anything on sale won't influence this!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]b) I can't realistically think of an alternative people use and was trying to think of another product that has "cornered the market" ?

In terms of brand-names that have become the normal term for a product: Tipp-ex, Hoover, Ipod (ish) & Walkman are a few that spring to mind.
  • Options
    There are many own branded versions out there to rival Sellotape and i guess they are just competing with them for the "sticky tape" market!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]I always think why McDonalds and Burger King need to advertise as well...

People either have a clear preference, or go for whatever is closest/most convenient

An advert showing a lovely juicy burger that doesn't resemble anything on sale won't influence this!

Yes but there is more than one choice and Wimpey have now "gone". McDonalds advertising does influence me going there more often - unfortunately.
  • Options
    There's 2 general categories of marketing:

1) To heavily promote a specific product - like "....NEW improved Omo" or whatever.

2) To keep the company brand name in the public awareness, eg everybody already knows Ford makes cars, Hoover make vacuum cleaners, Coca Cola make some sort of chemical concoction, and MaccyD's make burgers.

They don't want you to buy your car from Vauxhall, cleaner from Electrolux, fizzy drink from Pepsi or greaseburger from Burger King.

In the same way, Sellotape would like you to believe they are the market leader of celophane sticky tape - and want you to buy from themselves rather than a generic brand from WH Smith or the Poundshop.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]There's 2 general categories of marketing:

1) To heavily promote a specific product - like "....NEW improved Omo" or whatever.

2) To keep the company brand name in the public awareness, eg everybody already knows Ford makes cars, Hoover make vacuum cleaners, Coca Cola make some sort of chemical concoction, and MaccyD's make burgers.

They don't want you to buy your car from Vauxhall, cleaner from Electrolux, fizzy drink from Pepsi or greaseburger from Burger King.

In the same way, Sellotape would like you to believe they are the market leader of celophane sticky tape - and want you to buy from themselves rather than a generic brand from WH Smith or the Poundshop.

My wife has just enlightened me that most clear sticky tapes aren't actually "sellotape".
  • Options
    And she may well be right, Covered End.

Of course, they have many competitors. It's the Sellotape company that want you to remember their trading name when you're buying celophane tape - and believe it to be the most superior product that you'll always choose to buy. Another example ..... Heinz is now synonamous with quality baked beans, and Tesco's own label is regarded as an inferior quality product in public awareness (Tesco's beans are quite possibly made by Heinz anyway!!!)

And so on ....
  • Options
    durex
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey's
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]And she may well be right, Covered End.

Of course, they have many competitors. It's the Sellotape company that want you to remember their trading name when you're buying celophane tape - and believe it to be the most superior product that you'll always choose to buy. Another example ..... Heinz is now synonamous with quality baked beans, and Tesco's own label is regarded as an inferior quality product in public awareness (Tesco's beans are quite possibly made by Heinz anyway!!!)

And so on ....

The whole Heinz thing is very interesting because they have somehow hoodwinked the world into thinking they are the brand leader in terms of quality, when they're not. In fact their business model is to buy as cheaply as possible and sell on with the greatest margins.
  • Options
    I actually like the advert, so much, in fact, that I just taped it. Sorry..
  • Options
    i'm still going to use sticky back plastic
  • Options
    Post It Notes, Guinness, Tia Maria, Coke (another tricky one - most people claim it's their favourite cola, but most fail to pick it in blind taste tests), Rawlplugs.
  • Options
    Is this thread being ironic? Am I missing the point? Are you really discussing sellotape?
  • Options
    What I've always wondered is, what is a sello and why would anyone ever want to tape one up...?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]I thought that too last night when I saw the ad .

I was going to glue the wrapping paper this year
    . You should do it just to spite Sellotape!
  • Options
    As you say Sellotape is a brand name in America sticky tape is known as Scotch Tape regardless who makes it just they were the brand leaders when they started