Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

6 Weeks or Bust

2»

Comments

• Options
    IF this one is going to happen I would have thought a deal would be agreed in December...as is said above, Gold's only reason for buying us would be to take us to the Prem and so he needs to be in before Jan to be able to invest in the squad and give us the best shot at a first season return to the Champ, why would you haggle over price when the consequences for both parties could be another year in this league which would not be what they are after...very simplistic I know but there you go.

As I am going to buy a half season ticket i better get in quick before prices double!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What we don't know are Gold's motives for buying a club.

If it is to make a profit then West Ham seem a bad bet but only if he takes on all the debt. There is no reason why he can't buy the club but negotiate to only take a percentage of the £100 - £120m rumoured debt. The current WHU might see this as the best available offer and be prepared to cut their losses.

West Ham, as a PL club with a bigger fan base, income generation and a decent enough stadium, would be a better option on those terms than us or Palace.

Palace could be had cheap if they go in Administration. The ground would cost more to buy and re-build but maybe less than the asking price at CAFC or WHU?

The Valley was said to cost £20-£25m to complete at prices a few years ago. The recession may mean that building and steel costs have dropped so it could be done for less. CAFC are also dab hands at getting grants for multiple use ala the new Covered End.

Where I think CAFC win out over WHU is added value. Buying West Ham and getting them up to 7th won't be seen as a huge achievement or add significant value to the price of the club.

Taking Charlton or Palace and establishing them in the Prem would give added value and so could be sold at a profit as was done with Birmingham.

Palace are only two points off the play-offs. They could go up this year with some stability and luck.

Charlton are at least two years away but the infrastructure is far better and history shows that we are more likely to stick around if and when we do go up than Palace.

So far we know Gold came to a game at the Valley. We don't know if any offer has been made or a price discussed.

Peter Varney was brought on the board to 1. secure funding for this season and that £10m has been found 2. Find a buyer/investor. PDV may well be courting Gold but that doesn't mean that Gold is willing to get into bed with us now or at all.

After Zebeel I guess that dealings will be kept quiet as long as possible. That would suit Gold in any case as if any deal falls through he doesn't have to admit failure or be seen as taking sloppy seconds at Selhurst Park.

Our bias will help us convince ourselves that Charlton are the best buy anyway but we may well be right on that as Budgie has said.

In the meantime I believe that as fans we need to start thinking about what we want from Gold or any new owner and I don't just mean a 30 goal a season striker - although I wouldn't say no ; - )
  • Options
    Bloody essaying hell henners lol but I agree all of it!