Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

St. Nicolaas, Sinterklaas, Santa Claus or Father Christmas

Speaking to a friend of mine earlier in the week, we got talking about a celebration for the children which takes place in at least 2 countries: The Netherlands and Belgium and he believes as well in a part of Germany.
Now, we in England, and in many other countries, have Santa Claus or Father Christmas who travels with his reindeer and elfs to deliver presents, for everybody to be found on December 25.
The people in The Netherlands and Belgium however, celebrate the birthday of Saint Nicolas or Sinterklaas on the 5th of December. St. Nic and his helpers, who are black men called Black Pete (Zwarte Piet). In order to make you understand, here is the history of where these men come from. St. Nicolas is very confusing, because he comes from Spain, but history states, that he is a bishop from Turkey. But he resides in Spain and the helpers, are Moors. They arrive in Netherlands/Belgium by steam boat half November. From that date on, the children are allowed to put their shoes at the chimney with a carrot for the horse. Because St. Nic travels with his horse, over the rooftops. Hopefully, the child finds something in his/her shoe the following morning, normally being something chocolate. On December 5, it is St. Nic's birthday and he will give all the children presents. If you are lucky he and/or Black Pete will visit you personally, otherwise there will just be a knock on the door and the presents are left on the doorstep. All this happens in the early evening of December 5.
The next day, they all travel back to Spain by steam boat.
This all means that the children have no celebration with presents on Christmas day as we do in England.

What I would like to know: I have always believed that Santa Claus or Father Christmas is universal. But here is an example that he is not. Does anybody else have any other celebration. Either Christmas differently celebrated as in England, or something similar to my story. I would very much like to hear them.

Comments

• Options
    In Spain we have the tres Reyes or three kings. This happens on the night of the 5th of January and celebrates when the the kings arrived with gifts, so probably more appropriate than the 25th Dec. Father Christmas is called Papa Noel and has only gained importance because of american/british TV. In the past kids only got pressies on the tres reyes night, put this is now spreading to both nights. Christmas day has less significance than the UK, christmas eve or Noche Buena is when famalies get together and eat/drink etc.

Incidentally the tres Reyes night is great for kids, even the smallest village will have a procession of the kings, often on the back of tractors. Bigger towns will have camels and side shows. Sweets and gifts are thrown by the king and mad scrambles ensue, health and safety are not the prime considerations!

If you are looking for a post christmas break with the kids I heartily recommend Spain, particularly in traditional areas.
  • Options
    He's not real you know!
  • Options
    Yes he is, have seen him all over the place, including on the tele.
  • Options
    Thats you off his christmas list Addickted,thats more to go around for others.