Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great games you have missed

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
what games have you missed that have turned out to be legendary?
And I mean games you would normally have seen.
I missed the Millwall in the snow game, but cannot remember why, having gone to loads of away games that season.
I also missed banging 5 past Man City at Shithurst because it was played on Mothers Day and had to go out for dinner and 5 past Southampton to go top of the Prem because us South Stand season ticket holders had to make way for the west stand holders whose seats were not ready.

Comments

• Options
    Charlton 5 Man City 0 - Christmas 1986.

When I found out the result my 14 year-old bottom lip trembled like jelly because I was so gutted to have missed it - for my Aunt's (Boxing Day?) party.
  • Options
    Charlton 4 Spurs 1 around 1979 ish.
  • Options
    The 1-1 game at Stamford Bridge - Staying with a new girlfriend in Wales
    Millwall in the snow - Can't remember why
    The "Dennis in the last minute" win at Palace - Playing football

And not forgetting getting thrown out of the play off final after 15 minutes.
  • Options
    While at uni I missed a few:

Arsenal 4-2
    Liverpool 3-2
    Spurs 1-0 (Chrissy Powell?)

All TV games though luckily.
  • Options
    Arsenal 4-2. Had comps, but the seats were in the Arsenal bit, right next to where our supporters would be sitting. On the day of the game decided that I couldn't bear sitting among their smug supporters as they rattled in four or five, so decided to swerve it....
  • Options
    First game back at the Valley is the biggest miss for me .... Grandad died just before and so was attending a funeral instead.
  • Options
    the 4-2 chelsea game.

i was in france, and after the game rang home to find out the score. spoke to my mum who said we'd won 4-2. didn't believe her one jot, presumed we'd lost 4-2 then rang later, spoke to my dad and went out and got smashed. still gutted i missed that one.

also missed the carling cup chelsea one. but that worked out alright, i was with a chelsea mate and we aggreed not to find out the score, watched the highlights, they went one up and i feared for the worst. alas, super brian hughes wiped his smug smile away...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Charlton 4 Spurs 1 around 1979 ish.

Was 1977, and my Dad made us leave at 2-1 to avaid the traffic. Heard a cheer as we went down Flloyd Road and another at the Bus Stop, was convinced we had lost.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite] And not forgetting getting thrown out of the play off final after 15 minutes.

We could post all day but nothing will beat this!
  • Options
    Missed the first game back as well ... couldnt get a ticket .... still chokes me.

The MK 5-1 win as the freaking Car broke down on the A2 approaching the Sun in the Sands turnoff. Had to get towed home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I missed the following

Play-off game v Leeds at St Andrews as i was flying out to Corfu that night
    1-0 at Old Trafford as i was at a mates party in Walsall
    2-0 millwall in the snow as i was working
  • Options
    Coventry in the Cup 3 - 2.

All my lot went but I decided it would be a disappointing game so gave it a miss.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Coventry in the Cup 3 - 2.

All my lot went but I decided it would be a disappointing game so gave it a miss.

Plastic!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Coventry in the Cup 3 - 2.

Plastic!

True but I did see all of the Play-Off final

And Morts in the Snow, Dennis in the last minute and 1 - 1 at Stamford Bridge : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Missed the first game back as well ... couldnt get a ticket .... still chokes me.

The MK 5-1 win as the freaking Car broke down on the A2 approaching the Sun in the Sands turnoff. Had to get towed home.

I also missed the first game back, and understand how you feel. Went to the Horse beforehand and watched some of it by climbing a fence behind the east stand before been removed by the police. I felt part of the day but really rue not getting a ticket.

Also bad misses for me ........the Leeds play off games, and Ipswich play off semi games.
  • Options
    I missed Charlton 5 Southampton 0. I remember calling my auntie, who told me it was 5-0... I of course immediately thought we'd lost 5-0 only to be rather delighted (and annoyed I'd missed it) to find out the actual result.
  • Options
    Missed the first match back at The Valley. Was at last game at Selhurst and last game at Upton Park but my old man was responsible for obtaining tickets in those days and let me down badly! Had to make do with listening to Capital Gold at home instead. They were covering an Arsenal match I think. Can still remember Jonathan Pearce's words at about 3.08pm - "Goal action at The Valley, how good it is to say that again after all these years!"

Missed Lisbie's last minute winner at Stamford Bridge and the victory at Upton Park in our first season in the Prem, and the quarter-final at Old Trafford.
  • Options
    millwall in the snow.

and i missed the 7-6 huddersfield game (wasn't born, but everyone who was seemed to be in attendance)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]and i missed the 7-6 huddersfield game (wasn't born, but everyone who was seemed to be in attendance)

LOL
  • Options
    The 4-2 Highbury win..........at home entertainig the in-laws (but at least I saw it on telly)

The 2-0 Millwall-in-the-snow match - was out working and half expected in to be called off. I remember being in a clients house that night and before leaving asking them if they wouldn't mind putting Ceefax on the telly so I could find out the result !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]

Was 1977, and my Dad made us leave at 2-1 to avaid the traffic. Heard a cheer as we went down Flloyd Road and another at the Bus Stop, was convinced we had lost.

Who are you?

How dare you hijack Riscardo's log in.

We know he wasn't at that match as he wasn't even born being only 27!

:-)
  • Options
    Both Ipswich play-off games in '98. I'd booked a holiday the previous October when we were languishing in mid-table and never thought for one minute that we'd get to the play-offs. I also missed the 1-1 at Stamford Bridge but did see the back to back away wins in 2001.

Did go to Millwall in the snow, 4-2 at Arsenal, Dennis in the last minute, Coventry 3-2, etc
  • Options
    1984/5. I hadn't missed a home game since about Nov 79 and for some reason didn't want to go - low in the table, poor crowds. I flicked on the radio at half time to hear we were 3-0 down - so felt I'd made the right choice. Final score - Charlton 5 Barnsley 3. Gutted.
  • Options
    Millwall in the snow - after seeing us lose down there (or toss up a two goal lead in the last minute) too many times, I said enough, I ain't going. Another classic error of judgement........
  • Options
    Tended to miss end of season games due to cricket...like Battle of The Bridge (but have now seen that one on the video....and what a grim match it was....awful..with a brilliant outcome). Missed 1-0 win at Spurs because it was a Sunday lunchtime KO and I was playing. That was the game when Paul Williams kicked Tony Parks' teeth down the back of his throat to set up David Campbell's winner (he'd be sent off these days for that!) Didn't go to the return to The Valley match as for once I wasn't a season holder and had the hump at the time with loads of people jumping on the bandwagon making it hard for me to get a ticket. Couldn't understand how people didn't want to support the club back in 84 when we went bust but felt obliged to turn out for the Portsmouth match. Anyway...water under the bridge now and I'm now glad that lots of people started supporting Charlton again for whatever reason because we've all shared some good thngs since then.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Newcastle away 92. 4 - 3 win after being 3 down. Laid up with the flu.
    Coventry 2000. 3 - 2 win away in the fa cup. In Australia. Damaged my right thumb on a electric fan when telling my mate we won.
    Liverpool home 2002. 2 - 0 win. In vegas for a week, though i did watch the game in an English Bar at 5am and was half cut!!
  • Options

Me too! Absolutely gutted I was. Think that was the game in which Mark Penfold broke his leg. 77-78 season I think...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]

Me too! Absolutely gutted I was. Think that was the game in which Mark Penfold broke his leg. 77-78 season I think...

Yeah and I believe Flanno (Mike Flanagan to the uninitiated) scored a hat-rick.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]

Yeah and I believe Flanno (Mike Flanagan to the uninitiated) scored a hat-rick.

Spot on. Did the same in the 4-0 drubbing of Chelsea around the same time.
  • Options
    Quite a few years ago now, my Uncle asked if I fancied going to a game on a saturday, this I declined as I was playing for my own team and as 9 year old thought I was irreplacable. That was back in 1966 and was THE WORLD CUP FINAL for christsake, cant remember result ;(