Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goalkeeping Situation

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
With rob out Inj and i must say has done very well in the past 2 seasons and claimed the jersey for himself i have to hold my hands up and say well done we have been blessed with some good keepers over the years i.e Deano Thomas & Scotty and perhaps throw inn Anderson

the past 2 weeks there has been many fans who i understand can have there own say about whos is playing between the sticks and there views about performances the situation with Darren and Carl....

all i have seen well majority is becuase Darren who yes played very well against NV and has sat on the bench all season should have been given a fair crack and as a GK myself and now a Qualified GK if i was in Darren boots i would be upset about not been given more of a chance while Rob is Inj

But this is down to PP he feels carl is better thats why he has been given the nod

yes again agree Sat was a bit off his line by about 2-3 yards other wise would have saved it i am seeing comments about he doesnt commincate enough his kicking isnt as good as robs ho doesnt dominate enough come on guys give the guy a chance i have seen more negative comments then positives its a tough job between the sticks esp is bad weather all keepers hate playing in the wind ? its good for when you got it for kicking but is a bugger for crosses etc

again v Southampton can for an early corner and missed timed it but then after that he came and gopt everything and the goal again yes 2nd one should have saved it for a player of his calibre but then again the weather played its factor very wet etc lets not get the wrong idea here if someone aint got the talent i agree get rid

look at David James and jens Lahmen always came for crosses one after the other even if they had missed the 1st one they made sure they got the second one i feel that is a sign of a confident GK i do feel for Darren Randolph but perhaps he needs to move on and establish himself as a number one like Rob has done here

i feel Carl is more then good enough for league one and also he is a good gk

sensible comments guys please

Comments

• Options
    It seems to me that neither Ikeme or Randolph look a better option than Rob. However neither one of them has played much this calender year and I'm sure like all other players GKs need a run of games to get to their best therefore just becuase Ikeme and Randolph have made a couple of bad decisions, this does not mean they are bad keepers or are not good enough for League 1. Ikeme on sat made one really good save but his kicking was affected by the wind and maybe he does not yet have the confidence to come and dominate. Ikeme is regarded by some Wolves fans as good as Henessey so I would not be worried if he was to play the next 10 game for us, Elliot though should be back soon.
    Randolph will be sold in Jan if anyone wants to buy him, if not I think he will leave on a free next summer. Maybe he will establish himself elsewhere but fromwhat I have seen, he is not quite at the level Elliot is!
    I am a little worried about Elliot getting another injury when he gets back and being ruled out for a longer period of time, so I think we should not rush him too much. Maybe wait until the Southend game on 5th December
  • Options
    Ironically Randolph was criticised for being slow to come off his line for Northwich's goal.

I don't see much difference between Ikeme and Randolph, and with all things being equal I'd have picked Randolph when Elliot got injured and I think he did enough against NV to deserve a second start. Sadly his treatment means that it's likely that he'll be gone in January - probably on a free and if so that means we'll have to spend money we don't have/should be spent elsewhere on getting in cover when Elliot returns. Will Ikeme stay on loan for the remainder of the season if Randolph goes and if that happens will Parky restore Elliot or retain Ikeme in the starting XI? I'd restore Elliot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I don't see much difference between Ikeme and Randolph, and with all things being equal I'd have picked Randolph when Elliot got injured

Agree with that 100% but Ikeme seems more sure of himself and his abilities
  • Options
    Ikeme played a number of games last season for Wolves who won the championship so he can't be that bad a keeper. However on what i've seen of him so far i don't see much difference between him and Randolph and playing Randolph would've saved us money.
    People have criticised Randolph for being slow off his line at Northwich but if it wasn't for him we'd have been 2 down by then anyway.
  • Options
    Both are fairly average keepers
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Ikeme played a number of games last season for Wolves who won the championship so he can't be that bad a keeper. However on what i've seen of him so far i don't see much difference between him and Randolph and playing Randolph would've saved us money.
    People have criticised Randolph for being slow off his line at Northwich but if it wasn't for him we'd have been 2 down by then anyway.

We needed to get a keeper in anyway after Elliot got injured, so playing Randolph wouldn't have saved us money. Parky got in the best keeper available, one who he thinks is better than Randolph. Therefore he plays.